Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Making effective teasers

Discussion Boards > Teaser & Fly Tying
bassslayer22

posted 08/13/2013 04:17 PM  

I haven't been on noreast in a while but I remembered that noreast members know a lot about teasers for fluke. I went fishing this weekend at the shinnecock reef and tried out one of my teasers. It didnt get touched. However my grandpa used one of Harvey's teasers and within minutes he had a 24.5 inch seabass. When I got home I tried to create some teasers that might work like Harvey's. I am going fishing in the sound on thursday and was going to try my teasers with bucktails and gulp. Do you guys think these teasers will work. Thank You

bassslayer22

posted 08/13/2013 04:18 PM  

What makes teasers effective

This post edited by bassslayer22 04:19 PM 08/13/2013

pnutbunker

Teaser & Fly Tying

posted 08/14/2013 10:45 PM  

Bass,

Thanks for posting your patterns. Which fish are you planning on targeting? It's getting a little late in the season for fluking in the Sound.

The answer to your question is - yes, the two patterns will catch fish.

Pictures can be deceiving. What size hooks are your teasers tied on? I tie my teasers on 5/0 & 6/0 hooks. I'd be a little concerned about the hook gap if you plan on using GULP as the bait. The hook gap on the squid is narrower than the pink baitfish. There may not be enough hook clearance to allow you to get a good hook set on a fish.

Tying teasers is all about trial and error. Some patterns may look fishy, but do not put many fish in the cooler. Other patterns may not look like winners, but catch many fish. You have to let the fish decide what works and what does not. Some patterns work during the Spring run while others work well in the Fall. A good example of this is the sea robin pattern works well during the beginning of the season, and a peanut bunker pattern works best later in the season.

Don't give up on experimenting. I've fished teasers in the morning and the fish ignored it. After the tide switches the fish love it. Can I explain what happened - no I can't. What I do know is if a specific teaser is not working on a given day switch teasers until you figure out which one is working. Try to make a mental note about the fishing conditions - sunny vs. cloudy, incoming vs. outgoing tide, full/new moon vs. quarter phase. All these items factor in to your success on the water.

Good luck tomorrow. Sorry for the late reply. I hope you have a great day and catch plenty of fish.

Harvey

Harvey's Killer Teasers
Fish with Confidence

reelfire

posted 08/15/2013 01:14 AM  

Guess all those years where we could fish fluke into Nov. I didn't catch huge fluke in the sound.

Reelfire - We all have stories about the old days. Our future sharpie didn't state where he was going fishing other than the Sound. Most of the NS party boats have switched over to another species. I also fished the Shinnecock Reef on Sunday and the fish had lockjaw. Didn't see any nice fat sea bass come over the rail. Ended the day with 9 fluke, only 2 were keepers.

When testing teasers it's important to do it when the fish are biting. This way you can see if the pattern is adding fish to your cooler or not.

This post edited by pnutbunker 11:34 PM 08/15/2013

Prefessa

posted 08/15/2013 09:56 AM  

Bassslayer:

Start with a Clouser Deep Minnow...easy to tye, and pretty much catches everything. Use that pattern to develop the basic tying skills and gain confidence in your teasers.

Just remeber Rome wasnt built in a day. Even Harveys teaser has so much going on, that it likely took seasons to get to what they are now, and the folks out there that are copying his pattern don't have a clue as to what intricacies make it work.

I also fly fish and its typically CPR...Color, Profile, Retrieve....Think about what colors are the bait down there? Or do you want an attractor pattern to get noticed??

Think about the bait profile...long n thin, like sandeels...or wide n flat like a bunker or herring.

Retrieve...well in the teaser world we replace that with action. A heavy weighted head will give a fly a jigging action. A fly that uses synthetic material and no weight glides in the water. Natural materials like bucktail breathe...

Start with a clouser and take it from there...Chart/White...Lots of Flash.

Good luck!

pnutbunker

Teaser & Fly Tying

posted 08/15/2013 11:11 PM  

Bass,

My four key factors to a productive teaser are profile, color, movement, and smell. Smell should not be required to get a fish to take the teaser. Fly fisherman catch fish all the time without bait. Smell should make a bait fisherman's teaser more productive. That is why I list it as the last item.

As Prefessa stated above, it's important that the overall shape and color combination of the pattern closely resemble the baitfish you are trying to emulate. Movement gives the teaser life. As the materials waft in the current the pattern begins to mimic the movement of a live fish. Baiting the hook should give you a clear advantage over a fisherman using only a hook and a strip of bait.

As far as tying a pattern, I consider thread tension the most important aspect.

FYI - Fish do not see color the same way humans do. I try to match the colors of a baitfish as closely as I can hoping that what I'm tying closely matches what a fish sees underwater.

How did it go today? Where did you fish?

Harvey

Harvey's Killer Teasers
Fish with Confidence

This post edited by pnutbunker 11:52 PM 08/15/2013

bassslayer22

posted 08/22/2013 05:19 PM  

Sorry for the late response but I was away on vacation. I was fishing near Hempstead Harbor and city island. I would have caught more fish but there is not that many fish in the sound. However it was the first time that I had caught a fish on one of my teasers. A 17" fluke and six sea robins. Thanks guys and Harvey as always.

Discussion Boards > Teaser & Fly Tying  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.