Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Sea Runs

Discussion Boards > Freshwater Forum
mattjbfish

posted 11/29/2013 11:34 AM  

Hi guys ive been doing some trout fishing for a few years now. Ive caught my share of stockie rainbows and browns. I would really like a shot at a nice sea run trout this winter and im aware that they do migrate soon. Ive never done this before so im clueless about how to go about it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

fishstank

posted 11/29/2013 01:25 PM  

Fish tidal waters, around high water times and or after rain fall. Using night crawlers, salmon eggs, and killies if you can find them. I have caught a few on lures (rap alas and spinners)in the past, but I think due to the frigid water temps bait seems to work better for me. Sea runs do not come in thick around here, so you really need to put your time in, and you may get lucky. If your a fly guy, try fishing the lower beats during the early season( no kill) at connetquot park February through March . I don't know what the return has been like since the hatchery was shut down, But that stream had the most consistent return run on LI when it was constantly being fed fish.

Good luck in THE SEARCH!!!

flukerr
Noreast.com Club Member

Freshwater Forum
Posted Reports

posted 11/30/2013 09:47 AM  

C-Runs....

Some great info. was given by Fishstank.

I will add that night time is the right time....Wink

A small killie on a slip-rig or drop-shot is my bait of choice. Have spent many of a cold winters nite chasing these fish...

This is slow fishing. You are waiting for that "1" bite ! When it comes, be ready...

Its a great feeling to catch one of the more rare fish on the Island....

If you do "hook-up" be sure to post back and let us know of your experience....

Good luck and catch'em up !

In search of 11 lbs 5 ozs....

Fluker Float Rig....Floating high above the rest !!!

Grizzzz

posted 12/01/2013 01:45 PM  

this will be my third season trying for them.
2 yrs ago i hooked into one on a yozuri pins minnow that i got to the bank before it shook off. NIGHT TIME. Took 12-15 trips that year.
Last year out of about the same amount of trips i had 3 or 4 hits and landed 1 fish. I believe it was on a pins minnow also.
Yesterday morning was my first try for this season and no hits of course!

ss86fish

posted 12/01/2013 05:22 PM  

Seems to be very few caught the past 7-8 years. Carl's, Carmens, Connetquot and the Nissequogue are your best bets. They all have tidal sections. Put in your time with the above baits/lures and some luck and you may get one. Definitely hit them at the higher tidal stages, dawn, dusk, cloudy days, pre-storm.

EnjoiLI

posted 12/02/2013 12:17 AM  

Not many sea runs on Long Island because of less stocked fish. I have done a great deal of trout fishing in just about every tidal creek that harbors trout on LI, and have caught some real pigs out of most of them but those fish were put there as stockies and they're more seasoned holdovers then anything in my opinion. With the closure of the Connetquot hatchery, which used to stock the tidal portions of Connetquot with yearlings as well as the breeders that got too old for the hatchery to breed with, there is less fish returning because less fish are in the river system to holdover. Not many people were aware that the Connetquot hatchery did used to supply all of the Nissequogue's fish as well as a good portion of Carman's river fish therefore when that hatchery closed, the supplies of fish diminished. Another aspect to take into account is that I've seen a lot of people false identify true sea run trout. A true sea run trout was born in that river (not stocked or released there) migrated down to the salt water, then came back into the fresh water to spawn. Think about how many trout actually spawn in our rivers today and the answer is little to none and the very few that do will be brook trout that won't be longer than 12 inches. I say most people misinterpret what a sea run is because in tidal waters once a stockie has been there for awhile it's colors become more silvery giving the appearance of a sea run fish when in fact it's just a nicer looking stockie. Another sure give away is the fish being fin clipped and in the case of released breeders that were once let go down river, not all those fish were fin clipped, and depending on where the fish came from or the species, the fins may be clipped in different areas. Another sure sign is what the fish eats. Any trout that no matter how "natural" it looks in our river systems here on the island, if it's a true sea run it won't eat a doughball or corn or anything un-natural to its river that it lives in, so the point being if you claim to catch a sea run on dough, its probably a park fish that got old. I'm not saying there are no true sea runs left but I doubt that the ones that are still here are plentiful enough to target.

fisherboy3

posted 12/02/2013 08:38 PM  

In my 7 years of trout fishing, I've caught 2 sea runs ever. One out of the Carlls, and one down on the lower beats of the conny. The one out of the Carlls was about 20 inches, and the Conny was around 24. The carlls was a brown and the conny was a bow. The most the consistent sea runs, if any left would be the conny. Ive seen them jump up the falls on a high moon tide. Try killies, pins minnows, or night crawlers. If your a flyguy like me, little sculpin streamers or any streamer that looks like a killie will work.- Kev

Discussion Boards > Freshwater Forum  
Jump to:  

2022 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.