Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Spinfisher v issues

Discussion Boards > Reel Maintenance and Repair
mattjbfish

posted 09/11/2013 11:46 AM  

Ive been having some problems with my spinfisher v 4500 model. Got the reel, for the first week i loved it. After that it the smoothness of the reel went away and a squeaking noise started to develop in the rotor area of the reel. The reel was never dunked, only splashed but that shouldent be a problem with what penn says about it. I got the reel replaced. Same thing happened to the new one after about 6 trips. I will also add that i freshwater rinsed these reels after every use. Am i just getting bad ones in the batch or should i invest in something else. If so what would you guys suggest?

DRIFAN

posted 09/11/2013 12:28 PM  

Your better off spraying the reel rite away with WD40 and then after each use, spray it again. Water can rinse away all the oil coatings on the reel as well as salt.
I used to do the same as you till I was told to quit rinsing my reels. So now I do both, rinse let dry for a few minutes then spray the whole reel down with WD40. Squeaks are gone and keeps the reels looking new.

reelcranky

posted 09/19/2013 10:27 AM  

I wouldnt spray the reel down directly.Finger If it penetrates the reel it acts as a degreaser. I like to give my reels and rod a light spray of water with the drags locked down, then i dry the reels and guides then i spray a cloth with wd40 and wipe the reel and guides down.

If your reel is squeeking it probably needs to be lubed.

"Live by the tide, plan by the current, and follow the fish!"

FishFooler

posted 09/19/2013 11:37 AM  

I picked up 2 4500 liveliners as soon as they were available this winter. One has been right as rain but on the other the secondary drag is "jerky"- really tight on one side of the revolution and loose on the other no matter where I set it. I plan to send it back next month when I'm done for the year. I had really high hopes for the new Vs but I'm luke warm on them now.

FishScale

posted 09/21/2013 11:38 PM  

My local b&t switched out the body of my Spinfisher V 4500 live-lining model twice (leaving OG spool) for multiple issues before they just switched it to a shimano baitrunner 4000

After using the shimano again you can feel right away that the penn version is inferior to it...

SurfaceKiller

posted 09/24/2013 10:40 PM  

Also having problems spinfisher 4500

I am also having problems with my penn spinfisher 4500. Purchased a new reel at the end of last season 2012. After less than a dozen uses from fall 12 to spring 13 I noticed the smoothness completely gone and almost felt a cheap reel after saltwater corrosion. The reel grew to having a ton of resistance even when fishing super light swimmers at slow speeds . Got to the point that I couldn't fish with it anymore . Took it back to the b &t store on Long Island where I purchased it and the gentleman said he could not feel any problems. I explained without a plug tied on spinning it with no resistance and yes it was hard to feel defect . I left reel at the place , the next day I stopped in and they told me penn was going to warrantee mine and my friends who bought the same reel at the same time . On a side note the reels had never been dunked in saltwater and I lightly rinse every single time I'm done fishing , like I do to all my setups . Now it is fall 13 and the replacement spinfisher squeaks like all hell at slow speeds , which drives me crazy when finesse fishing plastics or bucktails. At the least I am very disappointed in penn, and I doubt the tackle shop will replace again . I know they are made with Chinese parts now I hear , but geeeez. I feel alittle better to hear that other people are having similiar issues . If anyone has any advice(non maintenance advice please ) let me/us know . Sad to think this reels only use is to sit on my rack or get tossed in garbage . After first couple trips I gave the spin v an a+ grade . Feel bad I promoted it and got 4 friends to purchase one . After that I give the reel a big fat F

C. Alp

Nyyankees325

posted 09/25/2013 02:01 AM  

I had a Sargus 4000 seize up just from saltwater splash.but when I took it apart and lubed it up it was fine again. Better off using the 710z sadly.

tman1

posted 09/25/2013 08:32 AM  

Any chance that there isn't enough lube/grease in the reels from the factory? I know that a few years ago I purchased a reel from the Surfcaster up in CT and had a squeaky reel, I called them and they stated that because some states have regulations for the amount of lead etc. (lead is in a lot of greases) they don't put in very much. I greased the reel and it was fine.

reelcranky

posted 09/25/2013 08:45 AM  

Penn = gaabitchh....

"Live by the tide, plan by the current, and follow the fish!"

likeitreallyis

posted 09/25/2013 09:36 AM  

reelcranky wrote:

Penn = gaabitchh....

The Chinese stuff, yes.

I still use to this day about 12 Penn Philadelphia special reels that are 25-30 years old that have no issues what so ever.

Santa bringing a new 704 and 706 I will leave to my grandchildren.

There is and never will be a substitute for American Craftsmanship.

You can feel it.

Green Grass and High Tides forever,,,

This post edited by likeitreallyis 09:38 AM 09/25/2013

FishScale

posted 09/25/2013 12:25 PM  

SurfaceKiller wrote:

I am also having problems with my penn spinfisher 4500. Purchased a new reel at the end of last season 2012. After less than a dozen uses from fall 12 to spring 13 I noticed the smoothness completely gone and almost felt a cheap reel after saltwater corrosion. The reel grew to having a ton of resistance even when fishing super light swimmers at slow speeds . Got to the point that I couldn't fish with it anymore . Took it back to the b &t store on Long Island where I purchased it and the gentleman said he could not feel any problems. I explained without a plug tied on spinning it with no resistance and yes it was hard to feel defect . I left reel at the place , the next day I stopped in and they told me penn was going to warrantee mine and my friends who bought the same reel at the same time . On a side note the reels had never been dunked in saltwater and I lightly rinse every single time I'm done fishing , like I do to all my setups . Now it is fall 13 and the replacement spinfisher squeaks like all hell at slow speeds , which drives me crazy when finesse fishing plastics or bucktails. At the least I am very disappointed in penn, and I doubt the tackle shop will replace again . I know they are made with Chinese parts now I hear , but geeeez. I feel alittle better to hear that other people are having similiar issues . If anyone has any advice(non maintenance advice please ) let me/us know . Sad to think this reels only use is to sit on my rack or get tossed in garbage . After first couple trips I gave the spin v an a+ grade . Feel bad I promoted it and got 4 friends to purchase one . After that I give the reel a big fat F

Yup I also had my boy pick one up and he's having issues with his drag

My penn Sargus and battle did me justice but their new live-lining models are a huge disappointment

If you send your reel back to Penn with a letter and a link to this thread I'm sure they will compensate...

Discussion Boards > Reel Maintenance and Repair  
Jump to:  

2022 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.