Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

New to Kayaking

Discussion Boards > Kayak Fishing Forum
Basscountry516

posted 03/18/2013 11:18 PM  

Im very interested in purchasing a Kayak and will likely do so this weekend. I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on places to launch near Wantagh it would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to know what everyone thinks about the Lifetime Tamarack Angler Kayak as a beginner kayak. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

JHall1245

posted 03/19/2013 10:15 AM  

I love my Hobie, but it cost a pretty dime.

Phishwithfly

posted 03/19/2013 11:45 AM  

NY DEC Launch sites in Nassau

Nassau DEC
Suffolk DEC

Above are links to the New York State DEC launch sites in Nassau and Suffolk. Be careful when launching near Jones Inlet (or any inlet) - lots of current. You can also launch from Alhambra Rd in Massapequa.

I bought a Hobie Outback last year - absolutely love it.

This post edited by Phishwithfly 12:03 PM 03/19/2013

bitemyyak

posted 03/19/2013 01:42 PM  

let me know when u go out as I will do more saltwater kayak fishing this year maybe we can explore together

knot your fly

darter2

posted 03/19/2013 02:02 PM  

Basscountry516 wrote:

Im very interested in purchasing a Kayak and will likely do so this weekend. I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on places to launch near Wantagh it would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to know what everyone thinks about the Lifetime Tamarack Angler Kayak as a beginner kayak. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Check out this site, it has a bunch of articles that might help, before making that next step. http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/drupal/Articles

I personally like the Hobie's fishing kayaks for the type fishing I do.

Damn Googans!

fishyhands

posted 03/19/2013 03:43 PM  

If you're under a budget, that may be good for you. If you can afford to go higher, try looking at a Hobie. Try a kayak dealer such as Cpt. Kayak in Sayville, and try the various models to see what's good for you. If you are just trying a kayak out then that may be a good one, as it's a "dry" sit-on-top (meaning no scupper holes) but then you'll have to bail out any water you ship in. I'd suggest a big sponge and a flexible scoop of some sort, and tie it to yak.

If you go out soon, I can not stress enough to be careful with hypothermia. Look around on this board and others dealing with kayaking about guys who have had scares with going in while the water's cold. Most guys go in by turning around to get something out of a crate/bag behind them, followed by getting knocked over by a boat wake. Dry suit is best, followed by wet suit and at the very least, waders with a dry top. Practice getting in and out of the yak while in the water. Most places sell a inflatable bag that you blow up and slip over one end of paddle, then you stick the other end of the paddle into a handle or the webbing (make sure it fits before you go out!), and you can use that to lever your self back into the yak. Whistle, pfd, and some sort of flag/pennant to go somewhere (most guys use a milk crate behind them, tricked out with rod holders, etc.) See and BE SEEN!

Definitely go out with someone, or at least let someone know where you're going (float plan). Stay close to shore, this time of year the fish will be in the shallows and back bays anyways. As you get more experience, you'll be tempted to go to the primo spots, just watch out for boats. While there are "rules of the road", you don't want to take any chances, as if it's a tie, you lose. I avoid busy places at busy times, and keep my head on a swivel.

Good luck with it! I love it and it's a great way of getting around and fishing...

ryeyak

posted 03/19/2013 05:25 PM  

Don't make the same mistake that I did...Buy the Hobie first time around. I don't have one yet myself, but I'm just waiting for an excuse to get one. The advantage of being able to peddle and fish at the same time in current is worth the money. Have fun and BE SAFE!

fishinsanity1

posted 03/19/2013 06:25 PM  

Buy a hobie. Being able to paddle and fish is a huge advantage. Try looking on craigslist on daily bases. I saw a 2012 hobie revo for sale at a great price. Many people put their hobie on sale after a few outing or a few season because they find that it's not for them or have the time. Thats where I got my hobie outback and I absolutely love it.

PaddleOn
Noreast.com Club Member

Kayak Fishing Forum

posted 03/20/2013 08:40 AM  

First off ..welcome Basscountry516 up

If you can hold out for a few more weeks there will be Demo Days at some of the local kayak shops. They will have assorted kayaks for you to try.
This is a MUST in my opinion. Try before you buy.
I can't stress that enough but I also realize when the bug bites its hard not to run out and buy a new toy!
I've done it Smile

It's mid March and not the time to be on the water...especially if you're new to this.
Cold water kills...and it kills within minutes.

I suggest waiting,researching and get involved here. These folks are great and very knowledgeable. Excellent advice has been given up

If you wanna to get to Heaven
You've got to raise a little hell

krg200

posted 03/20/2013 12:38 PM  

Welcome to kayak fishing! I will say that you you relly have to try them all out first. Although i love the idea of the Hobie Kayaks, i took one out for a test day and found i was very uncomfortable with it. iprefer my wilderness ride and upgraded to a new one instead of going with the hobie. Moral; Try first buy second!

Basscountry516

posted 03/20/2013 03:42 PM  

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think i will take your advice and not only wait until the water gets warmer but try out a few different yaks before i go out and buy one, Although it is very tempting! Thanks again.

darter2

posted 03/21/2013 10:51 AM  

Basscountry516 wrote:

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think i will take your advice and not only wait until the water gets warmer but try out a few different yaks before i go out and buy one, Although it is very tempting! Thanks again.

And if you any questions - post them.

Damn Googans!

Discussion Boards > Kayak Fishing Forum  
Jump to:  

2022 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.