Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

astoria park fishing

Discussion Boards > General Fishing Forum
Troutface

posted 07/10/2012 05:29 PM  

is it ok to fish off the shore in astoria park? Any hassles from police or coast guard?

Q U SOLDIER

posted 07/10/2012 06:16 PM  

Fish as much as you like. I think anything around slack will produce something. Lots of structure. Lots of current. Really rips hard 3 to 5 knots at max tide. If there was a boat in that current with its engines off. It will do 7 to 10 mph

Get Fish or Die Trying!!

Sandeeling

Diving and Spearfishing

posted 07/11/2012 11:33 AM  

Urban Fishing

I will be moving to Astoria in the next few weeks. I'm excited to try some urban fishing.

What works best in the East River artificial wise? I've seen people chunking and bait fishing with decent results. It seems like there is also a lot of snags down deep.

It would be nice to get an urban fishing thread going in the general forum, no spot burning just general techniques.

stinkybait

posted 07/11/2012 11:37 AM  

Sandeeling wrote:

I will be moving to Astoria in the next few weeks. I'm excited to try some urban fishing.

What works best in the East River artificial wise? I've seen people chunking and bait fishing with decent results. It seems like there is also a lot of snags down deep.

It would be nice to get an urban fishing thread going in the general forum, no spot burning just general techniques.

rubber and swimshads... up

Sandeeling

Diving and Spearfishing

posted 07/11/2012 11:54 AM  

stinkybait wrote:

Sandeeling wrote:

rubber and swimshads... up

Thanks! Thats what I thought, 2-4" storm shads were my artificial of choice when I used to urban fish the Hudson during my college years.

emuehlbauer

posted 07/11/2012 12:10 PM  

Shads because they are most effective, or just because they are the cheapest, so their loss to snags won't be a tragic hit to the wallet? Not putting down rubber shads....they are one of my favorite lures to use, and catch anything out there worth catching....but I stop using them when snappers and small blues are around. I once went fishing in Williamsburg, at the end of Metropolitan. (My son and I were entertaining ourselves while my daughter did her W'burg thing.) We used rubber shads, and I lost most of them. Right after we got there the cops pulled up. I was sure that they were going to chase us away. Instead, they just wanted to know if we were having any luck.

fish4me

posted 07/11/2012 12:34 PM  

Any spot along the edge of the park has the potential to hold some fish. Done well with schoolies along the park and near some structure using plastics. Just watch the rats. They can get pretty big and mean.

After that head south and try behind Astoria Towers, the Astoria Projects, Sculpture Park, Behind Costco, Rainy Park and by the base of the Roosevelt Island Bridge. Plenty to keep you busy.

FishScale

posted 07/11/2012 01:00 PM  

used to hang on the strip a lot back in the day doing 5 mph Toungue

FishyFinger

posted 07/11/2012 02:30 PM  

I just moved back to Astoria and I was wondering the same thing. With all the structure (and junk) to snag on, I wouldn't throw anything more expensive than a rubber shad. I've already lost a few bucktails fishing the East River from Randall's and Roosevelt Island.

While I spend most of my time around J-Bay and LNB, if anyone is looking to meet up and fish the river, I'm down.

This post edited by FishyFinger 02:41 PM 07/11/2012

Discussion Boards > General Fishing Forum  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.