Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Sick bass?

Page  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Boards > LI Sound Fishing
mysterisown

posted 07/06/2012 10:01 AM  

Hi All,
Need some help here. We have been fishing the Western Sound and have been pulling in Many many stripers with red marks on the body. a friend said they are all sick striped bass with Mycobacteriosis. Not knowing if this holds true, we have released all bass that have any red marks on them but im interested in hearing what you all think. are we making the right decision by releasing them back into the water? are the red marks in fact that of a sick bass with Mycobacteriosis? Any input is greatly appriciated.

Thanks

nightimefishn

posted 07/06/2012 11:44 AM  

Id like to hear what people are saying also about this. A buddy caught a pretty big fish yesterday (38lbs) and he said it was covered with red spots. He first thought it was sea lice but looking closer was saying just red blotches just like in your pic.

mysterisown

posted 07/06/2012 11:51 AM  

Ive released so many fish with these spots. I hope its not what im hearing because the population of quality bass will reduce!

jollyrodger

posted 07/06/2012 01:41 PM  

A friend and I caught 2 keepers last weekend in the Norwalk area covered with the sores, and we released them also.

JAYBASS

posted 07/06/2012 02:04 PM  

More and more of these reports everyday. down

2009-13 DEADSTICK CHAMP, A-Team Hostage Crisis Unit, Lead Negotiator, LEAD INVESTIGATOR, INVESTIGATIVE DIVISION OF RAIBS

FIX NOREAST, GET RID OF THE POLITICAL THREAD...

Grizzzz

posted 07/07/2012 03:03 PM  

I'd say sea lice fell off those sores. Doesn't look to me like mycobacteria. I've caught fish with that last spring.

emuehlbauer

posted 07/08/2012 12:11 AM  

That photo looks like a simple wound on the fish. A red mark like that isn't in and of itself a sign of infection. A mark like that could have been left by any of a number of parasites, like copepods, that fell off. When these marks are caused by bacterial infection the whole area will be inflamed and swollen. Red areas will be far more extensive. Ordinarily, healthy fish from cleaner water will not show skin infections. (A bass from Newtown Creek or Gowanus Canal may be a different story.) Mycobacteriosis will be far more extensive, if external. Frequently though, a Mycobacterium infection is entirely internal and will not be noticeable until the fish is cleaned. I had once posted a picture of an infected bluefish here...to be quite honest, had I not filleted the fish and simply gutted it, I may not have noticed the infection at all.

dennismako

posted 07/08/2012 07:40 AM  

it seems "Mycobacteriosis" is the new the sky is falling. its normal to be concerned but every mark cant be an infected fish.

NYS is in desperate need of a group to protect everyones rights to enjoy its water sports and natural resources
if you can or know somebody who would Please help. thank you

chawk

posted 07/08/2012 09:18 AM  

Thread about it here.....

http://www.noreast.com/discussion/ViewTopic.cfm?page=1&startrow=1&topic_ID=182703

and here too...

http://www.noreast.com/discussion/ViewTopic.cfm?page=1&startrow=1&topic_ID=181929&search=service&searchString=mycobacteriosis&searchNotString=&SearchMode=all&SearchNotMode=all&searchFromDate=%7Bts%20%272012%2D04%2D09%2012%3A34%3A40%27%7D&SearchUpToDate=%7Bts%20%272012%2D07%2D08%2012%3A34%3A40%27%7D

Huntington Angler's Club
huntingtonanglers.com

This post edited by chawk 12:35 PM 07/08/2012

BluesBrother

posted 07/08/2012 02:00 PM  

Definitely mycobacteria. Biologists have found the largest populations of infected fish are from the Chesapeake stock. The best way it was explained to
me is that mycobacteria acts in a similar way to tuberculosis, and is transferred between Striper gills. Apparently the red spots are one of the final stages of the disease before the fish dies. They can remain infected and not show signs for a couple years. There's also a debate on whether the flesh of infected Striper is ok to eat. This is a VERY SERIOUS issue and threatens to collapse our stocks. Biologists are doing extensive research into possible stress factors, pollution, and trying to positively identify the cause of the disease and how to deal with it. I continue to see more and more infected fish every year.

Hunt n' Fish
Noreast.com Club Member

Boating Angler
General Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
Hunting

posted 07/08/2012 03:09 PM  

BluesBrother wrote:

Definitely mycobacteria.

Simply amazing! The biologists need to send the fish to be tested to determine myco, and you can tell, just simply by looking a little red discoloring on the fish like that. The Fisheries people should just hire you for your observations instead of paying for the testing that they have to do. Confused

President, RAIBS
Recreational Anglers against Internet BS

emuehlbauer

posted 07/09/2012 09:35 AM  

Here is a photo I took a few years ago of a bluefish I caught with Mycobacterium infection. The diagnosis was given by a person at the DEC who I sent the photo to. The fish had no external signs at all, but was obviously very weak, and put up a poor fight.
http://www.noreast.com/postedreports/view.cfm?region_ID=33&id=88192&water_ID=1&fishingType_ID=0&startRecord=26&orderby=date&daysold=30

This post edited by canyonfvr 09:51 AM 07/09/2012

BluesBrother

posted 07/09/2012 09:46 AM  

I'm just using some genuine common sense and literature. Hope this isn't over your head. But all the data every year is showing a massive reduction in bass stocks and we now see bass covered in these red spots regularly, where in the past it was non existent . I don't need to be a biologist to see a correlation in the two. Let me ask you do you think it looks healthy for a bass to be covered in those spots? Did you see fish plagued with these red spots ten years ago? Ah your right put your feet up on the couch and keep telling yourself everything is just dandy with our bass stocks. Get ready to witness a collapse in our stocks, sadly to say it looks to be inevitable.

Hunt n' Fish
Noreast.com Club Member

Boating Angler
General Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
Hunting

posted 07/09/2012 07:10 PM  

BluesBrother wrote:

I'm just using some genuine common sense and literature. Hope this isn't over your head. But all the data every year is showing a massive reduction in bass stocks and we now see bass covered in these red spots regularly, where in the past it was non existent . I don't need to be a biologist to see a correlation in the two. Let me ask you do you think it looks healthy for a bass to be covered in those spots? Did you see fish plagued with these red spots ten years ago? Ah your right put your feet up on the couch and keep telling yourself everything is just dandy with our bass stocks. Get ready to witness a collapse in our stocks, sadly to say it looks to be inevitable.

I tell you what. . . I'll take my feet off the couch when you pull your head out of the sand.

The bass stocks are not heading for a collapse. A population decrease, yes, but far from a collapse.

Myco is a fair concern, but I've seen fish with those red spots above for over 15 years now. How many things make humans get red blemishes? What makes you think fish, which live in a ocean full of microscopic organisms are immune to everything else but myco? Confused

The last thing our fishery needs is a bunch of yahoos jumping to conclusions because of a few pictures on the internet that the next great plague is coming. . .

President, RAIBS
Recreational Anglers against Internet BS

FishScale

posted 07/09/2012 09:39 PM  

wudda ya think Willy ConfusedWinkToungue

Discussion Boards > LI Sound Fishing Page  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.