Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Weakfish Tips Please!!

Discussion Boards > General Fishing Forum
kaster1108

posted 03/18/2002 10:24 PM  

I live in Long Beach. I'm looking for the how-to on Weakfish, baits, hooks, lure's, location, colors etc..
Really could use the help.

Thanks,

Kaster

Hunt n' Fish
Noreast.com Club Member

Boating Angler
General Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
Hunting

posted 03/18/2002 10:26 PM  

In the Great South Bay: Early May 10 inch red worms. Later on in the season, 3 inch pink twister tail grubs. Many other jigs and rubber lures work, but these are the best most of the time IMO. Pink is always a good color to go with.

President, RAIBS
Recreational Anglers against Internet BS

jamesa

posted 03/19/2002 09:30 AM  

Kaster lives in Long Beach. Ocean Beach and Bay Shore are a long run. What about weakfish in Jones Inlet and bays north? Except for just keeper size in late July-Aug., I have only seen big weaks inside Fire Is. inlet. Must he fish under (shudder) a bridge or offshore to connect along western south shore?

Nah, probably just the bottom again...

Hunt n' Fish
Noreast.com Club Member

Boating Angler
General Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
Hunting

posted 03/19/2002 11:14 AM  

I would think the same lures would work all along the South shore. Concentrate around holes and channels. Use your depth recorder to find the fish. Fish holding about five feet off of the bottom of a channel is a classic sign of weaks.

When jigging for weaks you must always remain in contact with your lure. They seem to pick up the lure on the drop 90% of the time and if there is slack in your line you will not feel it. Sometimes I have been at the top of my jigging and right when I go to let the line back down to the bottom it goes limp. SET THE HOOK, a fish picked it up and I didn't even feel it. I use braid and graphite which is a tremendous help for the sensitivity.

One more thing, I have found that the weaks seem to prefer the jigs worked up and down on the bottom directly under the boat, as opposed to casting and retreiving along the bottom. Even in 5 feet of water (this is dirty water).

President, RAIBS

[email protected]

posted 03/19/2002 08:45 PM  

Sandworms on a 3x3 rig,peanut bunker on a similar rig or fish finder,these methods will day in and day out, out produce the others.C-Trout seem to be on the rebound,back in the day late 70's early 80's bait tails and nordic eels were extremely popular and productive ,when the fish were big average weight 8-12 lbs we would live line bunker. These fish are somewhat tempermental in the unpredictable way they put on the feedbag,they generaly don't have a set patern as to when they turn on.It's a fishery you have to be on top of to be succesful.Were fortunate in the NY bight to see somewhat of a renasaince in this fishing. Good luck,KAREN ANN CHARTERS

Hunt n' Fish
Noreast.com Club Member

Boating Angler
General Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
Hunting

posted 03/19/2002 09:47 PM  

I just read an article in a Salt Water Sportsman issue with an article about weakfish fishing around the Meadowbrook Parkway Bridges at night. The author was using 8" jelly worms around the bridge lights.

President, RAIBS

Jaiem
Noreast.com Club Member

posted 03/19/2002 11:35 PM  

Jelly worms, small bucktails and FinS jigs, even small swimming plugs all take weaks. Generally bright colors are used, especially pink, but that's far from in stone. The best night of weakfishing I had last season the fish would only strike on a black/silver Mambo plug.

Unless you're sure weaks are in the area most spring time bass lures will take weakfish too.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything.

Democracy is NOT two wolves and chicken deciding what's for dinner.

MeanBean

posted 03/24/2002 07:44 PM  

The weaks show up around june in the J.I. area in any worth while numbers, had luck with pearl colored twister tails, and grub tails just because they are hitting them in the bay off of F.I.in May does not meen they are in the J.I. area yet. Later in the season drift some live small snappers around the bridges.

GVISKO

posted 04/01/2002 10:42 PM  

i like to drift 2 whole sand worms
with 2 trout fishing split shots about
4 ft up the line peel out the line and
hold on works every time.

trophyfsh

posted 04/02/2002 06:10 PM  

I would have to agree with Stormfront. I have noticed that with Weakfishing, one day they turn on at the turn of the outgoing, the next time out it can be the exact opposite tide and stage. In the Great south Bay, the few times I have fished there, we used the bass assasin lures, in white, or pink. It seems on those trips, working the lure on the strong side of the drift helped, and a staggered jerking of the rod and a slow retrieve got the lures moving the best. In Jamaica bay the 3x3 bait rigs were definitely the way to go. In the five years I had my boat over there, I loved fishing around dusk, when the tide was right.

schoolman

posted 04/04/2002 07:30 PM  

To imitate sand eels try the nordic eels or tiger tails. No swivel. Palomar it right to the line using 12lb. test or less. Most anglers are unfamiliar with them but Sekora sells them. Bait tails are a good substitute. Man, the weakies pick 'em & eat 'em like kids in a candy store.

Capt. Jerry - SPORTFISHING ON LONG ISLAND Instructional Classes
sportfishingadventures

schoolman

posted 04/04/2002 07:30 PM  

Weak tips

To imitate sand eels try the nordic eels or tiger tails. No swivel. Palomar it right to the line using 12lb. test or less. Most anglers are unfamiliar with them but Sekora sells them. Bait tails are a good substitute. Man, the weakies pick 'em & eat 'em like kids in a candy store.

Capt. Jerry - SPORTFISHING ON LONG ISLAND Instructional Classes
sportfishingadventures

Discussion Boards > General Fishing Forum  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.