Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

the right reel

Discussion Boards > Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep
slyck

posted 09/11/2012 08:50 PM  

The housing on my Quantum reel just cracked wide openReally. I fixed it so many times I am fed up. I am ready for a new reel to go with my 9 foot surf casting outfit. I fish south shore beaches and jettys. I need a replacement fast. I don't want to break the bank. $150 is my limit. Any suggestions? Confused

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep
Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 09/12/2012 10:13 AM  

Penn Battle?

best to post your question on the Surf Fishing board - those guys are more dialed-in on this sort of issue.

Lep

"Hi, my name is Pete and I have a fishing gear problem."

slyck

posted 09/12/2012 08:15 PM  

Thanks for the reply. I haven't been on line in months and it will take me time to get my bearings again. YOur answer is uncanny. Earlier in the day I did my onw online research and ordered a Penn battle5000. (with the fall here I really couldn't wait.)

fishking247

posted 09/12/2012 08:26 PM  

i've had problems with the line lay on the penn battle. the line created a "cone" shape. i tried multiple reels and they all did the same thing. this was on the 4000 model

fishking247

posted 09/12/2012 08:36 PM  

i tried mono, power pro, and fireline

Jignpro

posted 09/13/2012 12:05 AM  

Get the line spun at your local tackle shop and they will lay the backing on properly and put the braid on right. Hope this helps.

satlife27

posted 09/13/2012 06:48 AM  

i have the battle 4000. the only thing that happened to it was that the screws got loose. so make sure theyre tight and i havent had spool problem.

fishking247

posted 09/13/2012 09:52 AM  

Jignpro wrote:

Get the line spun at your local tackle shop and they will lay the backing on properly and put the braid on right. Hope this helps.

regardless the reel should not have to have line put on by a machine. the line should lay even like every other spinning reel i own

Jignpro

posted 09/13/2012 02:37 PM  

fishking247 wrote:

Jignpro wrote:

regardless the reel should not have to have line put on by a machine. the line should lay even like every other spinning reel i own

Hey whatever works for you man. Im not saying you did anything wrong but 9 times out of 10 any line lay/twisting or any other problems can be eliminated by getting it spun on properly by a machine. You can do it urself but everytime I get line I put it on at my store with my own linewinder and never have an issue. Just my 2cents.

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 09/13/2012 03:14 PM  

slyck - hey, happy to help! Let us know how it works out!

FK247 - Line bunching to the top or the bottom of a spinning reel's spool is one of the most common complaints and one of the easiest to resolve.

Tell me, did your reel come with a few spare small washers in the box? Because those are meant to move the spool up on the drive shaft to better center the laying of the line in the middle of the spool. So for example, if your line "cones" to the bottom - that is telling you that the spool is too high, subtract washer(s). If iyour spool's loading towards the top of the spool, add a washer or two under the spool.

I know Shimano spinners and some Daiwas come with these washers, but I can't say if the Battle did as well, never having owned one.

best, Lep

jhtunafever

posted 09/13/2012 03:15 PM  

Jignpro wrote:

fishking247 wrote:

Jignpro wrote:

Hey whatever works for you man. Im not saying you did anything wrong but 9 times out of 10 any line lay/twisting or any other problems can be eliminated by getting it spun on properly by a machine. You can do it urself but everytime I get line I put it on at my store with my own linewinder and never have an issue. Just my 2cents.

up

slyck

posted 09/14/2012 10:52 AM  

spooling high or Low

Lep - that is facinating.

Does it depend on what diameter line is being loaded as to where it will pool up, top or bottom? Otherwise why doesn't the manufacturer insert the washers before they ship them.

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 09/14/2012 11:08 AM  

Can't say, because frankly, I don't know.

It works well, though.

Lep

Discussion Boards > Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.