Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Poppers at night

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
slyck

posted 09/13/2011 02:06 PM  

I would like to hear feedback about using poppers at night. It is not something I have done, but is there a time or condition where it makes sense?

blitzking

posted 09/13/2011 02:23 PM  

Sinking SS poppers, they swim great. I hear all black is the color to have, but I've had success with the yellow and all white.up

Sudss

posted 09/13/2011 03:03 PM  

good read

http://surfcastersjournal.com/blog/?p=5078

slyck

posted 09/13/2011 03:58 PM  

good read

Very interesting. That's sounds like many years of experience. Thanks for sharing.

killatoyota4569

posted 09/14/2011 09:35 AM  

Go to the beach at night, Bring your plug bag a few poppers and fish.

See if you catch fish, see what type of reaction from the fish you get.

See how the popper holds up at night.

Best information that you can get pretty much, People will tell you THIER EXP. Not always helpful since you dont know the cond. they were fishing, where they were fishing etc....

Best thing to do is hit the suds and TRY!! upup

-- Report Chasing is a Crime --
-- Surf Junkie 4 Life --

denw72

posted 09/14/2011 09:53 AM  

i have done well swimming a popper very slow across the surface with an occasional pop in shallow water.

Member of Kayak Fishing Association of New York
www.KFA-NY.org

tman1

posted 09/14/2011 12:58 PM  

You can swim Pencil poppers with a slow steady retrieve similar to a floating needlefish plug.

RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 09/14/2011 02:42 PM  

Or drag the pencil popper across the top of the water in a stop and go manner. Some very well known surf guys used ONLY this method for pencils. They likened the rod jerking, walk the dog retrieve to beating the bishop, or is it punishing the pope.Toungue

Check out my weekly blog at Stripers247 View from the beach
Drive your car like your life depends on it.

BASSSURF

posted 09/14/2011 04:23 PM  

Rich have you tried that method during the day as well?

Patrick F. McManus:  "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."

RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 09/15/2011 02:11 PM  

The only day fishing I do is if I'm out all night until the sun comes up, which happens often.Wink

If I'm on the beach (near my buggy) I might throw a popper on if fish are still around, but I don't normally carry any in my night bag. I don't fish pencils at all, but the late Al Bentsen told me that was the way he (and some others) fish them.

Slug1959

posted 09/15/2011 03:21 PM  

I like a stubby Gudebrod Troublemaker style popper (that brand was weakly constructed), which FLOATS, is uniform in diameter and has a very pronounced concave face. In calmer flat water you violently give a short jerk (rod low and off to the side) to make the lure "glug" keeping sure to avoid line slack. Wait awhile while still slowly reeling, glug again. A teaser works well with that presentation also. RM Smith makes a beauty in the "bathroom door" popper but they ain't cheap.

So much to ponder. So few brain cells to achieve the mission.

BASSSURF

posted 09/15/2011 11:00 PM  

Thanks Rich. As I get more and more into this I realize more and more the importance of fishing late at night. Unfortunately, now being in college, I just have to get out there when I can, and those hours are usually not in the middle of the night. But I will try to make the best out of the times I can get down to the water. If the fishing is good, then that's great. If not, it's still better than sitting in the classroom.

Patrick F. McManus:  "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."

blitzking

posted 09/16/2011 12:34 AM  

BASSSURF wrote:

Thanks Rich. As I get more and more into this I realize more and more the importance of fishing late at night. Unfortunately, now being in college, I just have to get out there when I can, and those hours are usually not in the middle of the night. But I will try to make the best out of the times I can get down to the water. If the fishing is good, then that's great. If not, it's still better than sitting in the classroom.

You have college classes at 3a.m. ????ToungueToungue Who needs sleep anywaydown

RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 09/16/2011 01:35 AM  

Fish will always be there

Get your education while you have the energy and brain power to do so. It will pay you back with a life time of opportunities to fish at night, instead of working a second job to put your kids through college.Wink

Sounds like you have your priorities in order.up

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.