Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics



PENN 450ssg

Page  1, 2  Next


  Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
Author Message
pdelaney

Joined: 02/21/2012
Posts: 9
 posted 03/14/2012 11:26 AM  

Guys-

could I get away with loading the 450ssg with 20lb berkely big game? I know that might be stretching it but I not want to go with braid. Using on 8ft med action for plugging, swim baits and occasional soft plastics for schoolies and blues. Thanks Guys for the input !!!
 
chunkster


Joined: 05/06/2009
Posts: 4597
Location: Password
 posted 03/14/2012 11:43 AM  

If you really want you can.

My liking for that specific model would be A braid with A
braking strength of possibly 30 or 40 # mono or 8 to 10 #
mono. diameter braid. Tied to A barrel where you can join
the leader and plug to or tie an improved albright direct
from the braid to the mono leader.

Any other thoughts? Smile

BY THE WAY, GREAT REELS I MUST SAY !!!! up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AQxcp9r8Iw&lr=1&feature=mhum


New England clam chowder.
YEAH?
With mushrooms.
COME IN!
 
fish4me


Joined: 09/01/2005
Posts: 16692
Location: Miller Place
 posted 03/14/2012 12:09 PM  

Mono was around long before braid and we all caught fish but that reel spooled with 20lb mono isnt letting you put a whole lot of line on it. I think with 10lb test your getting 250 yards or so. Less with 20lb.




This post edited by fish4me 12:14 PM 03/14/2012
 
FishFooler


Joined: 02/19/2008
Posts: 286
Location: Merrimack River
 posted 03/14/2012 12:41 PM  

I like your reel and line choice....

.....but you wont be able to cast worth a damn with 20 big game on a 450. FWIW, my 550 is spooled with 15 lb big game and my 450 is spooled with 12 lb big game.
 
Viking417

Joined: 03/29/2006
Posts: 414
 posted 03/14/2012 04:12 PM  

pdelaney wrote:

Guys-

could I get away with loading the 450ssg with 20lb berkely big game? I know that might be stretching it but I not want to go with braid. Using on 8ft med action for plugging, swim baits and occasional soft plastics for schoolies and blues. Thanks Guys for the input !!!



Why dont you want to go with braid out of curiosity?
 
RussD82

Joined: 10/11/2010
Posts: 48
 posted 03/14/2012 07:02 PM  

Viking417 wrote:

pdelaney wrote:

Guys-

could I get away with loading the 450ssg with 20lb berkely big game? I know that might be stretching it but I not want to go with braid. Using on 8ft med action for plugging, swim baits and occasional soft plastics for schoolies and blues. Thanks Guys for the input !!!



Why dont you want to go with braid out of curiosity?



I'm not sure what OP's reason is but I don't care for braid on a surf cast reel because it tends to get tangled ALOT. I use a Penn Battle for surf casting with 15lb fluro (sp) but I do keep braided on my Shimano baitcaster which i use for fluking. Maybe braided doesn't tangle as badly if you know how to spool properly? Roll
 
JAYBASS


Joined: 04/08/2009
Posts: 9134
Location: IN THE WASH!!!!!!
 posted 03/14/2012 07:13 PM  

The Penn battle is made for braid and the spool is braid ready, just dont overfill it and you wont have many problems. The Battle 5000 will hold 300 yds of 30 lb suffix 832, but i wouldnt put any more that 250. Too much braid and the spool will be overfilled and wind knots will occur. I was weary about using braid at first, but for tossing plugs Ill never look back. The reel is a workhorse though. I love it. Great reel for the money. At this point in my life I just cant justify a VS.


2009-13 DEADSTICK CHAMP, A-Team Hostage Crisis Unit, Lead Negotiator, LEAD INVESTIGATOR, INVESTIGATIVE DIVISION OF RAIBS

FIX NOREAST, GET RID OF THE POLITICAL THREAD...
 
RussD82

Joined: 10/11/2010
Posts: 48
 posted 03/14/2012 07:19 PM  

JAYBASS wrote:

The Penn battle is made for braid and the spool is braid ready, just dont overfill it and you wont have many problems. The Battle 5000 will hold 300 yds of 30 lb suffix 832, but i wouldnt put any more that 250. Too much braid and the spool will be overfilled and wind knots will occur. I was weary about using braid at first, but for tossing plugs Ill never look back. The reel is a workhorse though. I love it. Great reel for the money. At this point in my life I just cant justify a VS.


Yea... I bought the 5000 last year and loved it. Maybe I'll suck it up and just have Dicks Sporting goods respool it for me. I saw people writing about the VS250 so went to check it out.... and almost swallowed my tongue!!!
 
JAYBASS


Joined: 04/08/2009
Posts: 9134
Location: IN THE WASH!!!!!!
 posted 03/14/2012 07:26 PM  

RussD82 wrote:

JAYBASS wrote:

The Penn battle is made for braid and the spool is braid ready, just dont overfill it and you wont have many problems. The Battle 5000 will hold 300 yds of 30 lb suffix 832, but i wouldnt put any more that 250. Too much braid and the spool will be overfilled and wind knots will occur. I was weary about using braid at first, but for tossing plugs Ill never look back. The reel is a workhorse though. I love it. Great reel for the money. At this point in my life I just cant justify a VS.


Yea... I bought the 5000 last year and loved it. Maybe I'll suck it up and just have Dicks Sporting goods respool it for me. I saw people writing about the VS250 so went to check it out.... and almost swallowed my tongue!!!


30 lb braid has the diameter of 8 lb mono. You will increase your castibility while increasing the strength of the line your using. Like Charlie Sheen says WINNING.


2009-13 DEADSTICK CHAMP, A-Team Hostage Crisis Unit, Lead Negotiator, LEAD INVESTIGATOR, INVESTIGATIVE DIVISION OF RAIBS

FIX NOREAST, GET RID OF THE POLITICAL THREAD...
 
JAYBASS


Joined: 04/08/2009
Posts: 9134
Location: IN THE WASH!!!!!!
 posted 03/14/2012 07:28 PM  

I use suffix 832, great stuff, power pro in my opinion is garbage, but others seem fine with it. If i had a choice between power pro and mono, I would go back to mono.


2009-13 DEADSTICK CHAMP, A-Team Hostage Crisis Unit, Lead Negotiator, LEAD INVESTIGATOR, INVESTIGATIVE DIVISION OF RAIBS

FIX NOREAST, GET RID OF THE POLITICAL THREAD...
 
saltysurfman


Joined: 08/02/2008
Posts: 1601
Location: Hicksville
 posted 03/15/2012 09:18 AM  

RussD82 wrote:

Yea... I bought the 5000 last year and loved it. Maybe I'll suck it up and just have Dicks Sporting goods respool it for me. I saw people writing about the VS250 so went to check it out.... and almost swallowed my tongue!!!


I would go to a competent tackle shop to have the reel spooled with braid. If its not done correctly, you will definitely continue to have windknot problems. And no matter who spools the reel, you should slowly build up your casts with a freshly spooled reel so that the line will lay according to the reel or you WILL get tangles.
 
pdelaney

Joined: 02/21/2012
Posts: 9
 posted 03/15/2012 10:29 AM  

450ssg

I struggled with the braid last year, not with the 450ssg, but with Emblem Pro 5000 on my 11 ft setup. To me the frustration (birds nest) etc. was NOT worth the money. Thats why I am questioning whether I should keep it simple and go with just the MONO or suck it up and try braid again on my smaller rigs i.e. 450ssg.
 
pdelaney

Joined: 02/21/2012
Posts: 9
 posted 03/15/2012 10:32 AM  

450ssg

I have been told, by what I think is a competent shop, that the 550ssg and 450ssg are 'Mono reels' ...they suggested going with Berkely Trilene XL....what does the audience think ????
 
Viking417

Joined: 03/29/2006
Posts: 414
 posted 03/15/2012 12:10 PM  

pdelaney wrote:

I have been told, by what I think is a competent shop, that the 550ssg and 450ssg are 'Mono reels' ...they suggested going with Berkely Trilene XL....what does the audience think ????


Some have used braid succesfuly on those reels but I agree with the shop. My back up reel is a 650ss and i have it spooled with 20# fireline. Its not braid exactly its a synthetic line but its a lot more friendly to windknots and a much better alternative to mono. Throw that mono in the trash and take the advice above about spooling the reel properly but not overspooling. have it wound snug on your reel but not too tight and you should have no problems
 
flukerr
Noreast.com Club Member


Moderator
Freshwater Forum
Posted Reports

Joined: 11/09/2001
Posts: 1692
Location: Massapequa/Lindenhurst
 posted 03/15/2012 12:30 PM  

.....

I have the same reel...14lb. fireline is the ticket. IT works great on that reel and has a breaking point pushing 30lbs...Your casting will be "too the moon, alice"...


Good Luck !


In search of 11 lbs 5 ozs....


Fluker Float Rig....Floating high above the rest !!!
 
  Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  




2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.