Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Early 2011 Observations

Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
walleyeman
Noreast.com Club Member

Events, Seminars, & Tournaments
Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports

posted 05/31/2011 09:32 AM  

I have had numerous conversations with people about how inconsistent this season has been up to this point. Bass are here today and gone tomorrow. People are not finding as many consistent bites. Some say there are a lot of baitfish present, but the amount of bass on them is down significantly.

When talking with some guys I've heard them say that certain patterns from years past are still relatively consistent. However, others are saying that past patterns are not anywhere close to this year's. Each year we see variances and new patterns emerge....I'm just curious what you guys are observing about this season compared to last year or years past. When you find past consistent bites not happening, what do you do? Move around more...stay in that area, hoping tonight will be the night everything changes.

I am finding lots of baitfish present in the areas I target, but the consistent bites are down. I have also connected with more larger fish by now...my biggest fish this season is 32 lbs on a bucktail. I'm looking forward to June....one of my favorite months of the year.

LIBBA #1983
MSA #1982

This post edited by walleyeman 11:33 AM 05/31/2011

saltysurfman

posted 05/31/2011 09:52 AM  

I am noticing patterns that have been around for a few years disappear as well. I had a really consistent pattern for the last 3 years that decided not to show this year. No fish in the area and the bait is also non-existant. Fished all around the area and couldn't seem to find a fish, not even a bait fish. Water was much colder than normal, so I am attributing that as one cause, but I feel that the major reason is the way the moon phases happen this year. The new moon we usually get about 2 weeks later is happening now. I have always had consistent fishing around the May new moon, and that occurred the last weekend in April this year. I put a lot of emphasis on the moons with my fishing, especially regarding baitfish and gamefish movements, and it just hasn't happened for me this year. Maybe I am missing something, but I am relieved to hear that it is happening to others as well. May is usually a big month for me and it wound up being a huge disappointment and has thrown my fishing off a bit up until this point. Hopefully this coming moon helps to set up some patterns.

srfrat

posted 05/31/2011 11:25 AM  

Numbers are down,waaaay down.Fish showed up right on time,just in very small amounts.Size is also waaaaay down.
If "they" don't see whats going on to the striped bass fishery,someone needs a good wake up call,or its gonna be to late IMO.Truly pathetic.down

Some of us never stop fishing....If it swims,its fair game...Its never too cold..

chunkster

posted 05/31/2011 11:54 AM  

It was spotty.

Nothing to brag about.

New England clam chowder.
YEAH?
With mushrooms.
COME IN!

RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 05/31/2011 11:57 AM  

Add me to the list. What everybody has said, goes for me also.

Check out my weekly blog at Stripers247 View from the beach
Drive your car like your life depends on it.

JAYBASS

posted 05/31/2011 12:25 PM  

Fishing started off pretty hot for me, but like others have said finding them with any consistancy has been difficult. Here today gone tomorrow. I have noticed more blue fish around than last year. Not big huge fish, but cocktails. I think this may have to do with the very inconsistant weather we have had. Never seems to bother the blues, but seems to throw the bass off.

2009-13 DEADSTICK CHAMP, A-Team Hostage Crisis Unit, Lead Negotiator, LEAD INVESTIGATOR, INVESTIGATIVE DIVISION OF RAIBS

FIX NOREAST, GET RID OF THE POLITICAL THREAD...

searchin

posted 05/31/2011 12:38 PM  

A lot of 1-2 fish nights for me and more then a few skunks. A few decent fish, but consistency for the most part has been lacking in the spots I tend to fish with regularity.

No shortage of bait in my opinion.

Keep our beaches clean.

This post edited by searchin 12:49 PM 05/31/2011

johnmlodynia

posted 05/31/2011 02:07 PM  

Though I haven't put in "the time" I normally do, this season has been a wash. I saw this coming.

eisey

posted 05/31/2011 02:07 PM  

A repeat

It seems to me it is more OFFSHORE again as it was a couple of years back, and what is that seal still doing here?

Bob Eisey,  LIBBA 1002,  MSA 295

srfrat

posted 05/31/2011 02:23 PM  

johnmlodynia wrote:

this season has been a wash. I saw this coming.

Season is far from overRoll

By now I usually have a dozen or so 20 fish nights,my best night has been 11 fish to 24#s.3 days off since May 13th.RollRoll I ain't joking either.

Some of us never stop fishing....If it swims,its fair game...Its never too cold..

kwikstick

posted 05/31/2011 06:10 PM  

i see a far less amount of fish then you guys do because i'm a daytime weekend fisherman on the ocean side, so if you guys say its slow i'm taking your word for it !

as for the sunny beaches, we haven't seen a bass or blue yet, just alot of small skates and a short fluke, no bait around and the birds are resting...the only thing keeping me going is the increased amounts of babes catching tans out there...man i love summer up

hooksalot

posted 05/31/2011 06:45 PM  

It's been an off start for myself and the crew in an area that's always produced well from late march on....We have been successful in that area in many a season's past..But not this one..

Prowling the shore line's!

This post edited by hooksalot 06:46 PM 05/31/2011

ELIASV

posted 05/31/2011 06:46 PM  

Less Bluefish and Bass here in Jamaica Bay. Both I'd correlate to less bunker overall. Fish oil companies beating the bunker down.

Every year less and less big Bluefish on the inside. Dad tells me in the 80's you could plug them into the mid teens all day. Good luck with that being consistent any day.

20th Place 2014 Hobie Fishing Worlds
Hobie Team Member
Eposeidon Team Member

You Tube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/eliasvaisberg87

chunkster

posted 05/31/2011 06:57 PM  

ELIASV wrote:

Less Bluefish and Bass here in Jamaica Bay. Both I'd correlate to less bunker overall. Fish oil companies beating the bunker down.

Every year less and less big Bluefish on the inside. Dad tells me in the 80's you could plug them into the mid teens all day. Good luck with that being consistent any day.

It probably has to do with all of these.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/harbor_water/wwsystem-plants.shtml

New England clam chowder.
YEAH?
With mushrooms.
COME IN!

fishyhands

posted 06/01/2011 06:20 AM  

Don't forget Nassau's leakers - Bay Park and Cedar Creek. I like to ask the comorants in Reynold's, "how do I taste?". Only a matter of time before we get a weed explosion or algea bloom near those outflows.

I've seen a lot less bait too, except for the grass shrimp, they've done very well here. Here's hoping for a better June!

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.