Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Anyone use a Gopro??

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > General Fishing Forum
Pazzoman

posted 06/26/2013 01:44 PM  

Hey everyone!

Im planning on getting a gopro camera for fishing...mostly i will be putting it in a crab trap to see any action that happens. Im just not sure which go pro would be best, and not sure what add ons i need.

Thanks a million!!

Striped Trash

posted 06/26/2013 02:19 PM  

Pazzoman wrote:

Hey everyone!

Im planning on getting a gopro camera for fishing...mostly i will be putting it in a crab trap to see any action that happens. Im just not sure which go pro would be best, and not sure what add ons i need.

Thanks a million!!

I just got one for my birthday and I'm going to return. The cost to use the thing is just to much.

You need a million different attachments, you need extra batteries (only 2 hours of battery life and that includes when you aren't even filming. It sucks the battery when it's off!), there is no zoom ... there are no swiveling attachment and anything you put on your boat has to be permanent, i.e. the suction cup mount doesn't work...and that doesn't even include the fact you need at the very least a decent computer to handle the video editing part of it.

I don't know but I've found it to be WAY more work and trouble than I thought it would be. If your really into it then by all means it's great and all but for me it's just to much work and money. It's not the quick easy to use product it's advertised to be.

EH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out my  Blog Spot here

Cardrok

posted 06/26/2013 02:33 PM  

Striped Trash wrote:

Pazzoman wrote:

Hey everyone!

Thanks a million!!

I just got one for my birthday and I'm going to return. The cost to use the thing is just to much.

You need a million different attachments, you need extra batteries (only 2 hours of battery life and that includes when you aren't even filming. It sucks the battery when it's off!), there is no zoom ... there are no swiveling attachment and anything you put on your boat has to be permanent, i.e. the suction cup mount doesn't work...and that doesn't even include the fact you need at the very least a decent computer to handle the video editing part of it.

I don't know but I've found it to be WAY more work and trouble than I thought it would be. If your really into it then by all means it's great and all but for me it's just to much work and money. It's not the quick easy to use product it's advertised to be.

Wow I'm shocked by your reply! I have nothing but amazing things to say about my GoPro's. I've owned them for 4 years, and actually just went out and purchased the new black edition.

I don't stand how it is costing you money to use it? It does come with a swiveling mount, a suction cup mount that I've used on hundreds of trips on different boats (and had it stuck to my car up to 180mph), and I get WAY more than 2 hrs use out of the battery. Are you sure you are sticking it to a smooth, not textured surface??

Not sure why you say you need a million attachments? I made a Pole out of a telescopic paint roller pole, it cost me $9, and I've had 1000lb Bluefin smashing into it as I filmed. I mainly just use that and the suction cup on the boat, but also have a head and chest mount.

I can't recommend having at least one on the boat enough...

Here's some vids i put together using mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spbn81BpLXQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F9nij15wXs

letemeat23

posted 06/26/2013 03:16 PM  

Striped Trash wrote:

Pazzoman wrote:

Hey everyone!

Thanks a million!!

I do agree the attatchments are expensive. I use the suction cup and the roll bar mount on the boat. i made a hand pole out of one of my old broken hockey sticks and it works fine. and yes you do need a high quality computer to edit and even look at the videos. The camera itself works fine. Ive used it snowboarding all day numerous times and the battery was fine.

Striped Trash

posted 06/26/2013 05:14 PM  

Cardrok wrote:

Striped Trash wrote:

Pazzoman wrote:

Hey everyone!

Thanks a million!!

Wow I'm shocked by your reply! I have nothing but amazing things to say about my GoPro's. I've owned them for 4 years, and actually just went out and purchased the new black edition.

I don't stand how it is costing you money to use it? It does come with a swiveling mount, a suction cup mount that I've used on hundreds of trips on different boats (and had it stuck to my car up to 180mph), and I get WAY more than 2 hrs use out of the battery. Are you sure you are sticking it to a smooth, not textured surface??

Not sure why you say you need a million attachments? I made a Pole out of a telescopic paint roller pole, it cost me $9, and I've had 1000lb Bluefin smashing into it as I filmed. I mainly just use that and the suction cup on the boat, but also have a head and chest mount.

I can't recommend having at least one on the boat enough...

Here's some vids i put together using mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spbn81BpLXQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F9nij15wXs

I'm not an expert on it... maybe I'm doing something wrong as i just go it but when I had the battery issue I called my buddy who is a go pro nut and he said yeah he has 5 batteries he's bought at this point and just switches them out. Again could totally be doing it wrong. Mine did not come with a swivel mount, just a piece of rigid plastic that it came with. I would think you'd need at least the suction cup, if it works again I was told my buddy lost his when he put it on his boat, the pole attachment, (Let's assume you aren't handy and don't want to build your own) and the head attachment.

Again I'm far from an expert so I would trust Cadrok over me...but my first impressions were razor ... razor blade. Buy the camera for cheap and then spend a fortune on everything else.

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 06/26/2013 05:28 PM  

FWIW, my son bought one for filing him and his son skiing. The suction cup mount didn't work very well, even on a smooth ski helmet. He also had the same battery issues as striped trash. Wound up throwing it in a drawer and never used it again.

====MakoMike=====

Click here for The Makomania Sportfishing website

Makomania out

Striped Trash

posted 06/26/2013 05:48 PM  

MakoMike wrote:

FWIW, my son bought one for filing him and his son skiing. The suction cup mount didn't work very well, even on a smooth ski helmet. He also had the same battery issues as striped trash. Wound up throwing it in a drawer and never used it again.

Man I feel better! My wife was so angry at me that I returned it! What's the point of the thing if it has to be recharged every 2 hours! I couldn't believe the battery died with the thing turned off surprise

Dailydose

posted 06/26/2013 07:27 PM  

I got the new hero black edition, i like it alot, i bought the attachment for handlebars and put it on a cheap 10 dollar extension pole used for paint rollers and it works great. I am still getting the editing down but I have some good footage of a mako boat side already Smile the battery life isnt great but i looked up an alternative online and see a charger and two batteries are like 30 bucks, cant go wrong right? anyway I guess to each is own, its a tech thing that may require additional time online to get yourself aquainted but well worth the time and money invested IMHO Smile

Hunt n' Fish
Noreast.com Club Member

Boating Angler
General Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
Hunting

posted 06/26/2013 07:50 PM  

I bought one a few years ago, I think it's the Hero2. It's not very user friendly, as there is no screen, and the codes it shows in the front are like Greek unless you use it regularly. The new ones I've seen are a lot better that way.

I bought mine before a trip to have with me for diving and it came with a bunch of mounts, including a head strap. I bought an additional grab rail mount to use on my boat. I have since taken it with me up to Cape Cod where we shot some great video of the humpbacks feeding and breaching while we were tuna fishing. I also mounted it on a boat hook pole and was able to video the whales sounding underwater which was cool. I have used it on one other dive trip too. My favorite use of it, has been mounting it to my dog to get his perspective of hunting retrieves.

Other than that, I don't bother with it much anymore either.

It's too much trouble for me to edit the videos. My friend is a professional photographer/videographer, and uses it all the time. Mounts it to his guns, helmets, stands facing him, etc. He loves it. I don't have his video editing skills or software, so for me, it's not worth the trouble anymore. I haven't used it in over a year. I have lots of video here waiting to be edited I don't even look at anymore.

I also concur with Brett, that my batteries don't last much more than 2 hours of continuous use in video. I guess my life just isn't cool enough for the wild things that GoPro's were designed to film, which are shorter durations. Sky diving, car racing, etc.

President, RAIBS
Recreational Anglers against Internet BS

This post edited by Hunt n' Fish 09:48 PM 06/26/2013

Cardrok

posted 06/26/2013 07:56 PM  

Just a tip to everyone. No need to film in 1080p all the time. Youtube dumbs down the video regardless, and most videos you cant tell the difference between 720 and 1080.

I'd even recommend trying 480p...the quality difference is negligable if posting online, as I said previously, Youtube lowers quality.

If anyone needs any assistance I've been doing this for years...feel free to shoot me a msg.

-Steve

offracing

posted 06/26/2013 08:25 PM  

veho muvi hd

i just got a veho muvi hd from groupon with all the attachments, under water case, helmet, swivels, 8gb sd card, for 149, checked reviews and youtube and most say its as good as gopro if not better for 100 bucks less than go pro and you can get the bundle kit also if you want, it has a screen so you can see what you are filming, and a remote so you can start and stop recording from the cockpit without going to the camera, give it a looks see.
carl

WoundUp

posted 06/26/2013 09:43 PM  

I have three and think they are great. One gets suction cup mounted to the back window and gets the cockpit and the action of the spread. We troll 6 hours and go through 2 batteries. One is mounted on a pole for action near the boat and the lat is on a head strap to film the fish coming in. I agree the menus are not the best compared to other electronics today but once they are setup you dont have to change much.

ANother great electronic gadget is the Delorme Inreach - it allows people on shore to track you offshore - comes in handy since my wife is nervous about taking my 15 year old 100 miles offshore. You can also send texts through your cellphone to let home know you're ok and how you are doing

Pazzoman

posted 06/27/2013 03:12 AM  

Thanks for all your reviews.... My bigges problem would be battery life. I plan on leaving a crab trap for at least a day...i guess i will have to look for some other camera. Thanks for your post and vids, which was all great to read and watch! Really hope they would fix the battery issue tho.

Grodnreel

posted 06/27/2013 07:34 AM  

Love my GoPro when it's working but I've had numerous problems where it wouldn't turn on and find the battery life to be poor. Purchased 2 additional batteries which solves that problem.

lockjaw

posted 06/27/2013 07:34 AM  

I got a deal on a HERO 2 last summer & I think its great.
I'm using it scuba diving and I made a mount for my shotgun.
Also works good for timelapse shots too.
Works good for what it was meant for.

Discussion Boards > General Fishing Forum Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.