Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

NFSS Surf Fishing Seminar w/ H. Bruce Franklin, John Skinner, Paul Melnyk and More... Saturday, April 9th!

Page  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Discussion Boards > Events, Seminars, & Tournaments
walleyeman
Noreast.com Club Member

Events, Seminars, & Tournaments
Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports

posted 03/09/2011 05:19 PM  

When: Saturday, April 9th from 9:00 am - 1:00 pm (Doors will open at 8:30 am - coffee and donuts will be ready to go!)

Where: The Oakdale-Bohemia Middle School in Oakdale on Long Island. The address is 60 Oakdale-Bohemia Rd. Oakdale, NY 11769. The school is located between Sunrise Hwy and Montauk Hwy. Map

Cost: All Noreast.com Supporting/Club Members have free admission to the seminar! If you are a noreast.com club member, post directly to this thread that you would like to attend and I will ad you to the guest list. If you are not a noreast.com club member, but want to become one, go to www.noreast.com/club to sign up. It is $15/year, comes with exclusive web content...magazine PDFs, your own fishing blog, exclusive feature articles, a Nor'easter tag, custom reports, an online business card which allows you to promote your non-fishing-related business to the Noreast community, free admission to Noreast seminars and you get Nor'east Saltwater magazine mailed to your home!

After you subscribe, post directly to this thread. We will be able to validate your club membership by the Nor'easter icon next to your screen name.

Those who can not sign up for the club online can pay $15 at the door and will be signed up for the Noreast.com Club membership! If you pay at the door and choose not to become a member that's fine. If you're paying at the door, let me know and I'll add you to the guest list along with anyone you will be bringing.

All attendees will receive a door prize raffle ticket!

Our keynote speaker for this event will be H. Bruce Franklin, author of The Most Important Fish in the Sea.
He is the John Cotton Dana Professor of English and American Studies at Rutgers University, Newark.

Review of his book by Carolyn L. Karcher:
H. Bruce Franklin's The Most Important Fish in the Sea: Menhaden in America is a must read for anyone interested in the health of the marine environment, the history of the fishing industry and its offshoots, or simply fishing as a recreational activity. The story Franklin tells of a fish few have heard of is as gripping as a novel, the book is studded with lyrical descriptions of menhaden schools and the countless varieties of fish and sea birds that feast on them, and the voyage on which Franklin takes the reader through history, economics, ecology, and marine biology is epic in scope though packed into only 200 entertaining pages.

Franklin demonstrates irrefutably that menhaden are crucial to the survival of such highly prized food fish as striped bass, such delicacies as oysters and crabs, such endangered bird species as ospreys and loons, and ultimately even our bays and estuaries. That is because menhaden not only form the main diet of numerous fish and aquatic birds, but even more importantly perform the indispensable function of filtering the water by eating algae that otherwise proliferate into toxic blooms, choke out oxygen, and create dead zones. Over the past five decades, however, menhaden themselves have become an endangered species as a result of overfishing by a reduction industry that searches for them with spotter planes, scoops up whole schools in huge seine nets, and converts them into commodities readily available from other sources.

After detailing the ecological catastrophe that awaits us if this senseless overfishing drives menhaden into extinction, Franklin offers hope that we can still save our environment. His inspiring last chapter shows how recreational anglers and environmentalists can unite to protect menhaden from the reduction industry and how menhaden populations have rebounded wherever the reduction industry has been banned. This is one of those rare books that everyone can read with profit and enjoyment.

Breakout Session Presenters:

John Skinner...Topic: Peanut Bunker Fueled Fishing
John is the surf editor here at Noreast and is a highly respected surfcaster. He authored A Season on the Edge, a very well written book that covers a whole season reconstructed from John's detailed logs. He designed the very popular "Fishers Log" software. It is a professionally engineered fishing log program designed to make it very easy to maintain a detailed fishing log. Logging a trip is simple and straightforward. As you make entries, the program keeps track of your fishing locations, techniques, and species of fish caught so that these can be selected by dropdown menus in subsequent entries. Day of week, sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset, and moon phase are calculated automatically. Pictures can be associated with each trip. Log reports can be printed, saved to a file, or exported to HTML and viewed in a web browser. which allows users to record many different details about each trip. You can visit his website at www.fisherslog.com.

Paul Melnyk...Topic: Striped Bass or Bunker: Life in the Food Chain in Montauk
Paul is a resident of Montauk, Long Island where he resides with his wife Dawn. Paul is a journeyman cabinet maker whose designs grace the interiors of many of the finest homes in the Hamptons. He is also a world renowned fisherman and originator of the surfcasting technique known as Skishing, where the fisherman swims into the ocean with a rod and a reel to catch fish while treading water. Paul has been featured in many periodicals and books, such as, Men's Journal, Field and Stream, The Wall Street Journal, and On the Run, a novel by David DiBenedetto. Paul has also been featured on film and television and is a songwriter, and musician. Look forward to his up-and-coming book, Montauk Confidential: A Fisherman's Memoir.
You can visit his website at www.surfcasting.com.

After the Breakout Sessions we will gather in the auditorium for a moderated panel discussion with H. Bruce Franklin, John Skinner, and Paul Melnyk. This will be an interactive session where attendees questions will be welcomed.

Rich Troxler (RichTrox) will be in attendance and has made himself available to answer any questions and talk surf fishing with anyone that is interested.

LIBBA will have a booth at the seminar. If you are interested in joining, or renewing your membership, you will have the opportunity to do so!

The KFA-NY (Kayak Fishing Association of NY) will have a table at the seminar. They will also have a rigged up kayak on site and will be there to answer any questions you may have about kayak fishing.

A Plug Swap is being planned and coordinated by Martin (BennyBass). He will provide more details in this thread.

There will be an opportunity to purchase more raffle tickets and win some great donated prizes. Our list of donated raffle items will continue to grow as we get closer to the event.

All procedes will benefit Save The Menhaden...a coalition that seeks responsible management of the menhaden fishery.

Thanks to those supporting and sponsoring this event:

Paulie's Tackle of Montauk

Tiderunner.com

EBBPOINT SURF FISHING

Super Strike Lures

Maybe Tonight Charters

Aquaskinz

Hab's Custom Lures

Tattoo's Tackle

Point Jude Lures

Blue Frog Bucktails

Surfcasters Journal

L.I. Outdoorsman

Greenpoint Tackle

Chasing Tails B&T

Stripercoast Surfcasters

ruru lures

GUIDESCHOICE TACKLE

Hansom Tackle

Backlash Sportfishing

Got Stryper

Striper Surf Club

Northbar Tackle

Luv2Fish Charters

LIBBA #1983
MSA #1982

This post edited by walleyeman 07:59 PM 04/04/2011

CHEVY1

posted 03/09/2011 08:06 PM  

Really trying to spread the word

See everyone there Wink

I drive a jeep, but CHEVY is in my blood. libba # 1742, Striped Bass Coop.
Take more garbage than you brought with you-every time!

kwikstick

posted 03/09/2011 08:20 PM  

sign me up please. ty

walleyeman
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports

posted 03/09/2011 09:03 PM  

Guest List:
1. Walleyeman
2. MatthewPaul
3. surfeditor
4. BennyBass
5. CHEVY1
6. kwickstick
7. Iplayfair
8. JAYBASS
9. eisey
10. mako841
11. Guest of mako841
12. filo1

Raffle Prizes:
1. Two $50 gift certificates donated by Paulie from Paulie's Tackle of Montauk.
2. Steve Knapik of Tiderunner.com has donated one of his custom made surf belts.
3. Super Strike Lures has donated plugs and hats.
4. EBBPOINT has donated...TBD

LIBBA #1983
MSA #1982

This post edited by walleyeman 10:02 PM 03/09/2011

lfalsett59

posted 03/09/2011 10:35 PM  

Kevin Count me in brother . . . .

Here's to learnig,loving, and fishing for the beast.
Avid Woodworker,
Airbrush Artist,

Maybe_Tonight

posted 03/10/2011 12:10 AM  

I AM IN!!!

Kevin,

I am in, please put me on the list AND check your PMs Wink

louiethelure

posted 03/10/2011 05:19 AM  

Surf Seminar: "Save me a spot... PLEASE"

Hey Kevin, Great Job As "Usual"....... >< ))))*> Count Me In !!!!!!!

"If you want to catch a Trophy, someone has got to pay. Let it be everybody else, it sure as hell ain't gonna be me!"   Billy the Greek Legakis >< )))*>

walleyeman
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports

posted 03/10/2011 09:19 AM  

Guest List:
1. Walleyeman
2. MatthewPaul
3. surfeditor
4. BennyBass
5. CHEVY1
6. kwickstick
7. Iplayfair
8. JAYBASS
9. eisey
10. mako841
11. Guest of mako841
12. filo1
13. lfalsett59
14. Maybe_Tonight
15. louiethelure
16. ghostrider

Raffle Prizes:
2. Steve Knapik of Tiderunner.com has donated one of his custom made surf belts.
5. Capt. Paul Mandella of Maybe Tonight Charters has donated a half-day Fluke Trip for three anglers.

LIBBA #1983
MSA #1982

This post edited by walleyeman 09:30 AM 03/10/2011

walleyeman
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports

posted 03/10/2011 11:51 PM  

Guest List:
1. Walleyeman
2. MatthewPaul
3. surfeditor
4. BennyBass
5. CHEVY1
6. kwickstick
7. Iplayfair
8. JAYBASS
9. eisey
10. mako841
11. Guest of mako841
12. filo1
13. lfalsett59
14. Maybe_Tonight
15. louiethelure
16. ghostrider
17. likeitreallyis
18. morichesmonster
19. Brian

Raffle Prizes:
5. Capt. Paul Mandella of Maybe Tonight Charters has donated a half-day Fluke Trip for three anglers.
6. Kadir of Aquaskinz has donated a surf bag loaded with plugs and lures donated by Hab's Custom Plugs, Tattoo's Tackle, Point Jude Lures, and Blue Frog Bucktails (a $400-$500 value)

LIBBA #1983
MSA #1982

walleyeman
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports

posted 03/11/2011 11:12 AM  

More great news...

Surfcasters Journal will be donating some raffle prizes! Thanks Zeno! up

L.I. Outdoorsman will be donating some gift cards! Thanks Rob! up

LIBBA #1983
MSA #1982

This post edited by walleyeman 11:18 AM 03/11/2011

walleyeman
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports

posted 03/11/2011 03:14 PM  

Will (toyotaoffroad91) is donating some poppers and bucktails! Thanks Will! up

LIBBA #1983
MSA #1982

BennyBass

posted 03/11/2011 10:19 PM  

Hi all, don't forget to ask me about the PLUG SWAP... Toungue

LIBBA 1347

Iplayfair

posted 03/12/2011 08:54 AM  

Don't miss this one...

Skishing? Did I hear skishing?

This might be the the only time you see Martin out during daylight also surprise.

I'll donate 1 dozen teaser rigs....ready to fish, Maybe Bob can donate 1 of those cool clocks he's been making Wink.

It should be great!! Thanks for laying the ground work Kevin.

YouTube search- Iplayfair2,KFA-NY, SPEED BUMP, NITE-BITE

Rgugs87

posted 03/12/2011 10:27 AM  

Not 100% sure if I can make it, but please add me and a guest for now.

Thanks,

Rob

-Rob

walleyeman
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports

posted 03/12/2011 08:52 PM  

Guest List:
1. Walleyeman
2. MatthewPaul
3. surfeditor
4. BennyBass
5. CHEVY1
6. kwickstick
7. Iplayfair
8. JAYBASS
9. eisey
10. mako841
11. Guest of mako841
12. filo1
13. lfalsett59
14. Maybe_Tonight
15. louiethelure
16. ghostrider
17. likeitreallyis
18. morichesmonster
19. Brian
20. Rgugs87
21. Guest of Rgugs87

Raffle Prizes:
6. Kadir of Aquaskinz has donated a surf bag loaded with plugs and lures donated by Hab's Custom Plugs, Tattoo's Tackle, Point Jude Lures, and Blue Frog Bucktails (a $400-$500 value)
7. Surfcasters Journal will be donating some items.
8. L.I. Outdoorsman has donated some gift cards.
9. Poppers and bucktails donated by Will (toyotaoffroad91)
10. Twelve teaser rigs donated by Mark (Iplayfair)
11. Assorted plugs donated by Greenpoint Tackle

LIBBA #1983
MSA #1982

Discussion Boards > Events, Seminars, & Tournaments Page  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.