Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Leader or no leader

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
Fdram

posted 10/31/2013 09:35 PM  

Can anyone give me in site on whether to use a leader or just connect directly to braided line with a tactical clip. I here you can do it either way

Tight lines

yunvfrank

posted 10/31/2013 09:44 PM  

Here's my personal opinion if you land a fish, you reach to grab the line. Now if your hands are wet and you lift the fish by the line it will most likely cut right through your hand. If you have a leader there's less if not no chance of it slipping and cutting your hands. Plus you also have the abrasion factor if you're fishing near jetty or rocky bottom it'll prevent the braid from snapping because the leader can withstand more than the braid. Again it's just my opinion hopefully others will chime in.

In Apple We Trust.
Instagram name: fishinguy81 look me up and follow.
Is there anything better then fishing? DOUBT IT!

DieselTech

posted 10/31/2013 09:52 PM  

Leader or not

For me it depends on what you are doing, for bottom fishing I prefer braid straight to a snap and the rig, but definitley splice in a short top shot for bass, chunking, etc.

I think it's a MAKO

Cara21Seahawk

posted 10/31/2013 10:46 PM  

I like to use a top shot on all my braid set-ups....length and lb. test change depending on what type of fishing I'm doing... Sometimes I use a small spro swivel between my braid and mono or flouro shot or I will use an Albright , uni to uni or my favorite the Alberto knot to make a direct connection between the two lines....

FREE  GRIZZ!!!!

JohnnyPitch

posted 10/31/2013 11:33 PM  

I started using leaders and I feel it has made a difference. Using 50lb PP I'm convinced there's a chance for the fish to see it. My mind won't allow me to take a chance that that 50lb+ cow would turn away because my offering didn't look right. My 48" and 40" this year were on leaders.

An apology to my wife:  Sometimes it's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

Fdram

posted 11/01/2013 09:31 AM  

JohnnyPitch wrote:

I started using leaders and I feel it has made a difference. Using 50lb PP I'm convinced there's a chance for the fish to see it. My mind won't allow me to take a chance that that 50lb+ cow would turn away because my offering didn't look right. My 48" and 40" this year were on leaders.

I tend to agree the mono leader seems to be working for me thanks up

Tight lines

likeitreallyis

posted 11/01/2013 09:45 AM  

florocarbon

also connect the "clip" to a barrell swivel esp. with diamond jigs your line will twist up using just a clip as I see everyone doing.

You can force a barrel swivel over the other end. Someone is going to put two and two together and make some cash

Green Grass and High Tides forever,,,

surfphisher

posted 11/01/2013 09:46 AM  

When I made the switch to braid years ago, I started direct tying my lures. I would tie a surgeons loop at the end of the line and could quickly switch lures, no snaps or any other terminal connections. To this day, I have found no better way match the feel and sensitivity as that method. The vibration of a swimming plug, the bounce of a bucktail, the slightest tap from a fish....it's was near perfect.
Now for the downside. My hook ups were way down. It's wasn't just a bad season, I had fished this way for a little over three years. I cut my hands, many times, landing fish. Not only were some of the cuts bad, I also believe bacteria thrives in braided line. I have had a couple of infections.
I went back to using a leader and after 5+ seasons, there is no doubt in my mind. Hook ups are significantly up, hand cuts are way down.

tomjg

posted 11/01/2013 10:53 AM  

Definitely a leader for me.

ogsep22

posted 11/01/2013 08:46 PM  

I use 40lb Sufix 832 on my main to a size 2 Spro barrel swivel with 50lb mono leader material and a tactical clip to the lure. Line twisting definitely reduced so less wind knots for me. I also like the fact that I won't lose a finger landing that 30lber! Just my two cents although I'm not exactly seasoned yet.

emuehlbauer

posted 11/01/2013 09:04 PM  

I'm not a fan of braid so far, but when I do use it I always use a leader..so far mono, but I did get some fluorocarbon, so I'll use it the next time I need a leader. With mono, I never use a leader when I use lures...just tie directly to the snap swivel.

Fdram

posted 11/03/2013 07:44 PM  

ogsep22 wrote:

I use 40lb Sufix 832 on my main to a size 2 Spro barrel swivel with 50lb mono leader material and a tactical clip to the lure. Line twisting definitely reduced so less wind knots for me. I also like the fact that I won't lose a finger landing that 30lber! Just my two cents although I'm not exactly seasoned yet.
I too like the suffix braid it seems to eliminate wind knots

Tight lines

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.