Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

New York State Parks / Suffolk County and Federal Beach Fishing Permit Info and More

Page  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
walleyeman
Noreast.com Club Member

Events, Seminars, & Tournaments
Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports

posted 03/08/2011 02:28 PM  

I thought I would put together some info with some links that might be of help for some of you. Please add or correct any of the info I have here.

Suffolk County Parks Fishing Info...

Smith Point County Park
Shirley (631) 852-1313
This park offers bay fishing for flounder, snapper and blowfish. Ocean fishing (surfcasting) for bluefish, weakfish and striped bass. Open year round. Off road vehicles need outer beach permit.

Cedar Park County Park
East Hampton (631) 852-7620
This park offers saltwater fishing, surfcasting for bluefish and striped bass; also, shore fishing for snappers and blowfish. Fishing permitted between sunrise and sunset. Rowboats available for rent from mid May thru Labor Day or as posted by park personnel, on Alewive Pond only. Limited hand and trailer launching areas available, check with park personnel.

Theodore Roosevelt County Park (now Montauk County Park)
Montauk (631) 852-7878 (631) 852-7879 (seasonal)
Ocean fishing (surfcasting) is also permitted for bluefish, weakfish and striped bass. Theodore Roosevelt Park has excellent saltwater fishing for bluefish and striped bass on the northern portion of the park. Non-residents may obtain a recreational vehicle use permit for year round fishing opportunities at this park. Check with park or parks administration at (631) 854-4949 for details.

Shinnecock East County Park
Southampton (631) 852-8899 (seasonal)
This park offers ocean fishing for off road recreational vehicle permit holders. Park is located on the east side of the Shinnecock Inlet.

Cupsogue Beach County Park
Westhampton (631) 852-8111 (seasonal)
This park offers ocean fishing (surfcasting) for bluefish, weakfish and striped bass. Off road vehicles need outer beach permit.

Indian Island County Park
Riverhead (631) 852-3232
This park offers saltwater fishing on Flanders Bay and nearby estuaries. Look for weakfish, striped bass, bluefish, and snappers.

Suffolk County Outer Beach Rules

Night Fishing Permit
To insure that surfcasters may enjoy increased fishing opportunities, the Parks Department sells night fishing permits for access to parks during the hours they are normally closed (10PM - 6AM). Permits are good only at the following locations: Smith Point, Shinnecock East, Charles F. Altenkirch, Orient Point, Cupsogue, Shinnecock Canal and Theodore Roosevelt County Park. Permits (resident and nonresident) can be purchased at Smith Point, Shinnecock East, Sears Bellows, Theodore Roosevelt County Park and West Sayville Administration Office. There is no charge for the permit if you purchase a Suffolk County Park Recreation Vehicle Use permit. Call the administration office (631) 854-4949 for further information and fees.

Suffolk County Parks Off-Road Vehicle Info...
Several parks offer outer beach (shoreline) access opportunities to off-road vehicles (ORV's). A Suffolk County Parks Recreational Vehicle Use permit is required.

Day and night sport fisherman and beach camping enthusiasts may drive the Atlantic Ocean barrier beaches at Smith Point and Shinnecock East. Outer beach camping is permitted at these locations with self-contained campers only. The Gardiners Bay/Northwest Harbor beach at Cedar Point is accessible to ORV's for day access and fishing only. Located on the west side of the Shinnecock Inlet, Charles F. Altenkirch County Park permits limited off-road vehicle access from September 15 - March 15th. No camping permitted at this location. Theodore Roosevelt County Park's three mile stretch of outer beach on Block Island Sound is open to ORV's and self-contained campers as well as for day and night fishing activities. Cupsogue Beach County Park permits recreational vehicles and limited self-contained camping on an access road running parallel to its outer beach. Be advised that areas on the outer beach may be closed due to beach conditions, maintenance or bird nesting. Check the Outer Beach Conditions Update or call the park of your choice to get up-to-date outer beach access information.

In addition, outer beach night fishing is offered at Smith Point, Cupsogue, Shinnecock East, Charles F. Altenkirch, Theodore Roosevelt, Orient Point County Park and at the county parklands along the Shinnecock Canal. To ensure increased fishing opportunities, night fishing permits allow access to the parks when they are normally closed (10pm - 6am.) Only bonafide fisherman will be issued permits. If on the beach at night, all must have fishing equipment and EVERY PERSON must be actively engaged in fishing. This is strictly enforced. Night fishing permits are included with the purchase of an Outer Beach Recreational Vehicle Use Permit.

Suffolk County Park Recreational Vehicle Use permits and/or night fishing permits may be purchased at the parks listed below and at the West Sayille Administration Office. Check with the park of your choice or the Parks Administration Office at (631) 854-4949 for additional information.

*Only one discounted Outer Beach pass can be purchased per discounted green key card. Additional Outer Beach passes must be purchased at the resident rate.*

The Suffolk County Parks which offer outer beach access to ORV's are:

Cedar Point County Park
East Hampton (631) 852-7620

Cupsogue Beach County Park
Westhampton (631) 852-8111

Theodore Roosevelt County Park (now Montauk County Park)
Montauk (631) 852-7878

Shinnecock East County Park
Southampton (631) 852-8899 (seasonal),
(631) 852-8290 (off season)

Smith Point County Park
Shirley (631) 852-1313

Recreational Marine Fishing Registry
Online License System - DECALS

FINS Sportsman's Vehicle Permit:

Recreational Driving Season
(September 15 through December 31)

A current valid permit is required for every vehicle driven on Fire Island beaches. Each Fire Island National Seashore permit has its own stipulations and requirements.

With a Fire Island National Seashore Sportsman's Vehicle Permit, $50/vehicle, offroad recreational vehicles are permitted to drive at certain times on designated portions of Fire Island National Seashore's beach as a means of access for fishing or hunting. Smith Point County Park and Robert Moses State Park have separate recreational use permits.

Sportsman's recreational driving is restricted to the beach along the Atlantic Ocean on the south shore of Fire Island, west of the Wilderness Visitor Center and east of Long Cove between the water's edge and 20 feet seaward of the beach grass. Vehicles may not cross dunes, damage vegetation, or enter the designated wilderness area.

Permits for recreational driving may be purchased at the Otis Pike Fire Island Wilderness Visitor Center on or after September 1, for use between September 15 and December 31. However, the beach may be closed to driving at any time due to high water or other adverse conditions on the beach. In 2005, no recreational driving permits were issued due to an overwash near Old Inlet. In 2009, the sale of permits was delayed due to beach conditions.

For latest information, call the Wilderness Visitor Center at 631-281-3010.

Current rates for a Sportsman's Vehicle Permit are $50/year. Check or money order only, made payable to "National Park Service"

You must possess a valid state drivers license and your properly-equipped four-wheel drive vehicle must have a current state registration.

A New York State recreational marine (saltwater) fishing license is now required for fishing.

When you purchase your permit, you are also required to watch a 5-minute driving orientation video, where you'll be advised of the "rules of the road" and other safety and resource protection messages.

New York State Parks Permits...

4X4 Beach Vehicle Access Permit:
Valid April 1 to December 31 at:
Robert Moses (Democrat Point) & Gilgo State Parks
Vaid year round at Hither Hills, Napeague and Montauk Point State Parks.
Expires December 31, 2012
Dates of Sale:
January 2 - April 30
Tuesday after Labor Day - Dec. 31

Can be purchased any day of the week during business hours at:
Robert Moses State Park Can't be purchased there as of now due to Hurricane Sandy
Montauk Downs State Park
State Park Headquarters at Belmont Lake State Park
Sunken Meadow State Park Current office hours: 7:30 am - 7:00 pm seven days a week

NYS 4X4 Vehicle Registration $65
Out of State Vehicle Registration $110

Night Sport Fishing Access Permit:
NYS Vehicle Registration $30
Out of State Vehicle Registration $55
7 Day Sport Fishing Permit $25

Note that the 4X4 Beach Vehicle Access Permit also allows all the privileges of the Night Sport Fishing Access Permit whch are valid April 1 - Dec. 31 for after sunset parking for the purpose of night fishing ONLY as follows:
Captree - Main Field and Overlook
Wildwood - Main Field
Hither Hills except Friday of Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day
Jones Beach - Fields #6, #10, West End #2, West End Boat Basin, and West End Work Docks Area
Montauk Point - Lower Parking Lot ONLY
Robert Moses - Field #2 all dates, Fields #3 & #4 from Sept. 15 - Dec. 31 ONLY
Sunken Meadow - Field #1 & Field #3

Camp Hero Fishing Permit:
$40 annual permit for New York State residents;
$75 for out-of-state residents.
Vehicle Entrance Fee: Cars $8

Caumsett Fishing Permit:
Annual Permit $40
Non-Residents $75
24 Hour Permit $15

Other Helpful Sites:
Saltwater Fishing Regulations - Recreational
Effective Date: December 24, 2012 (Updated March 5, 2013)
LIBBA (Long Island Beach Buggy Association)
MSA (Montauk Surfcasters Association)
NYCRF (New York Coalition For Recreational Fishing)

New York State Marine Fishing Records

Sites to help learn about structure:
Google Earth

Bing Maps

Helpful Tide Charts:
NOAA Tides & Current

SaltwaterTides
FishingStop.com

Moon Visiblity

Town Info...
Town of East Hampton
Town of Southampton
Town of Babylon
Town of Brookhaven
Town of Southold
Town of Huntington
Town of Oyster Bay
Town of Islip

DEC Poachers and Polluters Hotline - 1-800-TIPP-DEC (1-800-847-7332)

NY DEC 631-444-0250

Long Island State Parks and Beaches Update (April 8th) from the Governor
Robert Moses State Park
Current Status: Robert Moses State Park suffered significant damage. The south side of the park's traffic circle collapsed into the Atlantic Ocean, closing the park since October. Restoration of the road is underway. The boardwalk at Field #5 was severely damaged. A contract for removal and restoration of components is ongoing. A breach of the water system within the park has been repaired along the north side of the park. The state Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) has approved the placement of stone material to protect this and other infrastructure located on the bay side of Robert Moses. Repairs to fences throughout the park have been made. Much of the debris that has washed onto the park has been collected and staff continues to load dumpsters and have the material carted out of the park. Final repairs to the flooded golf course will begin when the growing season begins. No anticipated delay in golf should be realized when the park opens in late May. Hundreds of thousands of cubic yards of sand were swept away by the storm. Two contracts have been awarded to replenish sand at Fields #4 and #5, the easternmost fields of the park. It is anticipated that over 500,000 cubic yards of sand will be placed on those beaches. Over 300,000 cubic yards of this sand is being dredged from the Captree State Boat Channel and the remaining 200,000 cubic yards from a stockpile of sand on the western end of the park. Three lifeguard shacks and other lifeguard equipment will need to be replaced prior to Memorial Day weekend.
Memorial Day Weekend Status: All parking fields will be OPEN. Parking capacity may be reduced depending on the amount of space available for beachgoers. A decision on beachfront access and swimming operations will be made just prior to Memorial Day weekend after an evaluation of the sand replenishment program. It is anticipated that dredging will still be ongoing until the end of June. At that time, another re-evaluation will occur to determine operating capabilities.

Jones Beach State Park
Current Status: Jones Beach State Park suffered significant damage due to Sandy. The storm surge coupled with high tide resulted in major components of the park being submerged in sea water. The famous boardwalk suffered severe damage when the high tide caused the pilings to heave, lifting the boardwalk in many sections resulting in the surface of the boardwalk to be undulating. The piles have been reset with additional piles installed at Central Mall, and the decking is being repaired. Many of the park's electrical vaults were submerged, and work is ongoing to replace and raise these panels to prevent damage from future storms. Power has been restored to the West End, West Bathhouse, and Jones Beach Theater. The work at the Box Office is substantially complete and State Parks will be issuing a Certificate of Occupancy for that structure. It is anticipated that other remaining areas will be back on line shortly as contractors continue with making repairs. The Jones Beach Theater was submerged in at least four feet of water, damaging the VIP boardwalk and tented areas, the orchestra seating, the entire electrical system for the facility. All of the concession related equipment and supplies, offices and the box office were destroyed. The licensee is currently replacing and repairing the facility to ensure that the venue is ready for the 2013 concert season. The Field 10 fishing piers and the boat basin dock were severely damaged as well as the concession operated Bait Station. Tons of debris have been removed from the park. Lifeguard buildings and umbrella stands were destroyed. Contractors have started work on the lifeguard stands at Central Mall and Field 2. The contractor will be deploying more staff to complete all the buildings. Brick walkways, concrete walkways and the east side Field 6 parking lot were severely damaged. A contract has been secured and the repair work has started. The park (fields 2, 6, 10 and West End 2) is currently open to the public. The areas between the West Bathhouse and the East Bathhouse are closed mostly due to boardwalk damage and reconstruction.
Memorial Day Weekend Status: OPEN – The Jones Beach boardwalk will be usable. There will be areas with temporary railing until the material comes in. State Parks was in the final phase of replacing the boardwalk decking on the west side of the park in Fields 1 and 2 prior to the storm. This contract will be ongoing throughout the season.The electrical equipment for the vaults will be replaced. It is anticipated that this work will be complete by Memorial Day weekend; however, if the vaults are not complete, they will operate under generator power.
The repairs to Field #10 fishing piers and the Boat Basin will be on-going. The lifeguard buildings and umbrella stands will be under construction with some complete by Memorial Day weekend. Temporary trailers will be set up in those areas that the new buildings are not complete.

LIBBA #1983
MSA #1982

This post edited by walleyeman 11:28 AM 04/15/2013

kwikstick

posted 03/08/2011 03:33 PM  

excellent list keven, ty
if i may add to the list:

DEC
631-444-0250

This post edited by walleyeman 03:44 PM 03/08/2011

BenGardner

posted 03/08/2011 05:35 PM  

THANK YOU!

Thank you so much for your detailed response, Walleyeman! It was just what I was looking for. That's what I was referring to in my original request; some guys truly just want to help if they can. I could've gotten no response at all and, once I got out there, just did what the guy next to me did...like leave my take-out food containers wedged in between the jetties (I had to rub my eyes when I read that post on these boards!). But when I see people who love the sport and the beaches enough that they want to preserve it by teaching someone new how to do it right, it means a lot. I now have more respect for surf fishing, simply because of the respect that people like you have for it. I will follow suit...I promise. Thanks again and I look forward to seeing you out there this year!

tiderunner70

posted 03/08/2011 06:08 PM  

Great post Kevin. up

Tom Farrell
Vice President - New York Coalition for Recreational Fishing
[email protected]

MSA
LIBBA

CHEVY1

posted 03/08/2011 10:37 PM  

WOW

Nice work Kev.

That's alot of very helpful info for everyone. upup

I drive a jeep, but CHEVY is in my blood. libba # 1742, Striped Bass Coop.
Take more garbage than you brought with you-every time!

lfalsett59

posted 03/09/2011 07:53 AM  

KEVIN ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

. . . . . . Hows that song go by Carly Simon . . . Nobody does it better . . . . . . Great Job Kevin

Here's to learnig,loving, and fishing for the beast.
Avid Woodworker,
Airbrush Artist,

killatoyota4569

posted 04/17/2011 08:52 AM  

Thank you sir.upup

-- Report Chasing is a Crime --
-- Surf Junkie 4 Life --

absoulty

posted 04/22/2011 07:50 PM  

Thanks for the great info upupup

Vladi

posted 05/09/2011 09:57 AM  

Awesomeupupup

I couldn't have put it better lol

IF YOU DONT HAVE SOMETHING NICE TO SAY THEN DON"T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL

bassbuster789

posted 05/11/2011 09:54 AM  

so u can get night pass anytime ?? can u still get i guess is my real question ? the new york state one that is

JAYBASS

posted 05/11/2011 10:04 AM  

No they only sell it til April 30 and then after Labor Day.

2009-13 DEADSTICK CHAMP, A-Team Hostage Crisis Unit, Lead Negotiator, LEAD INVESTIGATOR, INVESTIGATIVE DIVISION OF RAIBS

FIX NOREAST, GET RID OF THE POLITICAL THREAD...

Viking417

posted 05/11/2011 01:24 PM  

What permits are required for the west side of shinnecock? It doesnt say on your list

walleyeman
Noreast.com Club Member

Events, Seminars, & Tournaments
Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports

posted 05/11/2011 02:56 PM  

Viking417 wrote:

What permits are required for the west side of shinnecock? It doesnt say on your list

It does say on the above list under the Suffolk County Parks Off-Road Vehicle Info section..
In addition, outer beach night fishing is offered at Smith Point, Cupsogue, Shinnecock East, Charles F. Altenkirch, Theodore Roosevelt, Orient Point County Park and at the county parklands along the Shinnecock Canal. To ensure increased fishing opportunities, night fishing permits allow access to the parks when they are normally closed (10pm - 6am.)

LIBBA #1983
MSA #1982

This post edited by walleyeman 03:00 PM 05/11/2011

neng1987

posted 05/14/2011 08:09 PM  

I was at smithpoint and the park police say the park is close and even if you have the suffok outer beack pass which includes the night fishing permit. He say it dosent matter, parks closedd

bassbuster789

posted 05/17/2011 09:34 AM  

ah thanks jaybass

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum Page  1, 2, 3  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.