Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Lake Ontario fishing report

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > Freshwater Forum
1youngblood

posted 08/06/2012 08:40 PM  

Been fishing the western end one day a week for the last several weeks.Fishing has been good to very good.Last trip out my friend and I did 21 fish and about 8 to 10 lost.2 25lb King Salmon 4 12-14lb the rest Rainbows 7-12lbs.Fishing in 520'of water down 70 to 85'.Spin Doctors and Flies did most of the damage on the Salmon,spoons on cheaters for the Rainbows.The inside waters 70 to 100' have been holding plenty of fish also but with smaller fish and Lakers in the mix.Our wire dipsy divers with Spin Doctors and flies have also been pretty productive with 200 t0 260' of wire out. Tight lines Sean

fishkiller01

posted 08/10/2012 12:42 AM  

Wow those are nice fish !!!! Looks like u guy's had great trip upup

Everyone should believe in something; We believe we'll go fishing

chawk

posted 08/10/2012 08:27 AM  

Nice fish! Haven't been up there in a few years but used to every yr. We are going up to Fair Haven in Sept. Hope there are a few fresh ones left. It will be a little late.

Huntington Angler's Club
huntingtonanglers.com

1youngblood

posted 08/10/2012 04:43 PM  

The King in the second picture had beautiful spots.Some of the Kings are already darkening up.Who knows it could be a late run this year being so hot.

chawk

posted 08/10/2012 04:58 PM  

Yeah I see that. Hoping there will still be some trolling going on when I get there. Gonna have to get the riggers ready and new snubbers for the dipsies. Then again, I always head to Oswego for at least one morning of "combat fishing!" Lots of laughs with that place!
Been so long since I have been trollin up there (about 8yrs) we were still using "meat" (herring strips) pegged in those little colorful plastic heads that used to spin like hell behind big dodgers and flashers.
Have to look into the fly thing. I have also pulled lots of spoons too. Have a box or two of NKs. We also used to catch a few on J-Plugs.

Huntington Angler's Club
huntingtonanglers.com

chawk

posted 08/10/2012 05:02 PM  

Never pulled wire up there. Just stacked on downriggers. Pulled dipsys down to maybe 30 on mono, but bet you could down more now with braid. Might have to give that a try

Huntington Angler's Club
huntingtonanglers.com

1youngblood

posted 08/10/2012 05:57 PM  

Cut bait has been working well.Braided lines on the Dipsys works well but at times the spiny water fleas can build up on your line very bad.They do not build up on the wire nearly as bad and it does get deeper.If Fleas are bad you will want 25 to 30lb Big game mono on your rigger rods .Fleas have been in Lake Ontario for a few years now and are a pain in the butt.The haven't been to bad on the west end this year but I do not know about the east end.

This post edited by 1youngblood 06:05 PM 08/10/2012

JAYBASS

posted 08/10/2012 06:05 PM  

I miss Oswego. Gotta make a pilgrimage back up there one fall.

2009-13 DEADSTICK CHAMP, A-Team Hostage Crisis Unit, Lead Negotiator, LEAD INVESTIGATOR, INVESTIGATIVE DIVISION OF RAIBS

FIX NOREAST, GET RID OF THE POLITICAL THREAD...

chawk

posted 08/10/2012 06:05 PM  

Tx for info. Yeah I do remember them when I was there last to. would get all over lines when trolling. Even when we were casting crankbaits for smallies off the bluffs. Were a PIA to even get of the lines. Think I used to keep wet rag just for that.

Fishing in Fair Haven area alone has changed a ton just in the time I have gone up there. We started maybe 22 yrs ago. For first 5-8 yrs you could catch salmon right off the breakwater ("the pier") there casting Rebel Fastracks in neon orange or green. Got a box of those too. That was when snaggin was still allowed and the meat hunters would go up to a narrow part of Sterling creek and jerk snaggers. We use to do pretty well on the pier, mixing in a few browns every season. Then it pretty much died out. And I started trailering my cc up there and trolling.

Huntington Angler's Club
huntingtonanglers.com

This post edited by chawk 06:35 PM 08/10/2012

flounderjoe

posted 08/11/2012 02:26 AM  

Ill be up camping in Fairhaven Sept 15 thru the 19 first trip up for this season .Oswego is a pisser aint it.I picture it as a bad spot burn on a major Bass blitz in Shinnicock Canal.

chawk

posted 08/11/2012 09:28 AM  

Yeah it can be a riot! The only difference is here on the island during a blitz, hook a fish and yell fish on, and all you'll get is tangled and mugged!
Up there, when fishing shoulder to shoulder, yell fish on (coming up or going down) and EVERYONE PULLS UP AND LETS YOU PASS!
What a difference!

Huntington Angler's Club
huntingtonanglers.com

flounderjoe

posted 08/12/2012 12:13 AM  

Thats true.Its a bit nutty but everyone works together.And ooooh those Oct river run Browns.Cant wait!!!!

chawk

posted 08/12/2012 09:41 AM  

Joe please let me know how you make out. I am going following week! We are camping in park too. Do you fish the park when you go? Bass n pike? or smallies?

Lots of great LM in park and all the back along Stering Creek. Have caught some of the biggest ones I have ever got there. Had one comepletely clear the water missing my magnum torpedo once that was easlily 8-10lbs. And my largest I did catch was 7.5lbs
Black jig n pigs are killer there. Same with scum frogs along creek edges. Just make sure you have a heavy enough leader! short of using wire because those large pike cut off a lot of baits! Good luck and have a great time. Bill

Huntington Angler's Club
huntingtonanglers.com

flounderjoe

posted 08/13/2012 03:21 AM  

love fishing in sterling some real brute largemouths in there.The only thing that can mess up our bass fishing in mid to late sept is if the lake turns over a little early.Had that happen once caught the turn over could not buy a bite with artificials so a stop at SCREWY LOUIES for some shiners helped alot.Ill keep in touch and fill you in on my return.

chawk

posted 08/13/2012 10:08 AM  

tx FJ. Yes have seen an up-welling on couple of occasions. Lots of dead floating smallies in big lake. They don't seem to deal with it like salmonids. The birds have a field day then though. Guess it's mother nature's way.
Well hope we don't see that steady nw wind for any long periods this fall. Good luck and catch em up.

Huntington Angler's Club
huntingtonanglers.com

Discussion Boards > Freshwater Forum Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.