Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Must Haves In A Tackle Box

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
Pazzoman

posted 05/15/2012 12:00 AM  

Hey Everybody,

As I start getting into a routine of fishing every saturday, I look at my tackle box and all of its emptiness. I have in thier the following:

-Knife
-3 Porgy Rigs single hooks
-1 Porky double bait hook
-5 Stripebass/bluefish rigs
- 4 flounder rigs
-Swivels with the attachment to change out rigs quickly and easily
-2oz weights
-scale

That is all that I have, any other things that I should get?

Any kinds of lures and if so when do I use them.

Also does anyone know how to keep left over sand-worms alive I have about 20 sand-worms in a container in the fridge with sea weed along with saltwater layerd on the bottom...

Is gulp alive worth it?

Last but not least any idea's what kind of fish are landed near stripebass? I've caught stripe bass at this area only, a 7 incher a week ago lol

I fish in the surf of Eastchester Bay

This post edited by Pazzoman 01:13 AM 05/16/2012

Lindanel

posted 05/15/2012 01:10 AM  

Just to start, I'd add some 4" storm swim shad in bunker and pearl, a yozuri crystal minnow, a pencil popper, a rapala x-rap (the saltwater grade slashbaits), an A17 and A27 diamond jig, some white bucktails (SPRO bucktails are my favorite) along with some uncle josh pork rind trailers, and some bombers.
Also, add some quality swivels like SPRO 130 lb swivels along with some leader material in the 50-80 lb test range to tie yourself an appropriate leader when fishing lures. You can catch bluefish in the same spots you can catch bass, as well as fluke. Rocky areas will produce porgies.
Choose your lure according to what the fish are feeding on. For instance, if there are a lot of spearing or sand eels in the area, a diamond jig would work well. If there isn't visible bait present, try a bucktail or a swimming plug.
Don't be afraid to switch your lures up if one isn't working though!

tman1

posted 05/15/2012 07:35 AM  

Add a tape measure, a couple other sized sinkers, and lures/leaders. As a minimum I would suggest a couple a17/a27 tube jigs, some 5-6 inch storms and a Popper or two.
Read up on these boards and talk to others and see why they are succsessful or why they are not. Work on expanding your knowledge of the sport and you will be successful.

MLaw172032

posted 05/15/2012 08:37 AM  

I would start here....

Number 1 - what kind of fishing are you looking to do? Surfcasting? Do you care what you catch? Are you looking for something specific?

I'm looking to catch BIG Strippers from the surf, with lures. That's MY goal. If your interested in that I would start with Zeno Romins "The Art of Surfcasting with Lures", William 'Doc' Mueller's "Surfcaster", and John Skinners "Fishing the Bucktail".

These three books will tell you a lot of what you need to do to get started. From exactly what gear to get, how to read beach structure, and how and when to use which lures. As you will find out-nothing is LAW, trial and error are still the best teachers. But these books give you much more than a place to start. Before I read these books I was doing just about everything wrong, from my plastic Plano tackle box to my $40 shkespeare surf rod- I was a mess. You don't need to invest $4000 on gear, but with some modest changes you'll geyt on the right path sooner.

I would start simple. Three Andos white bucktails (1/4oz, 1 oz and 2oz); Uncle Josh red/white pork rind, 3 diamond gigs (1oz, 2oz, and 3oz(for some long casting fun)); A Cotton Cordel Red Fin, and a Bomber (7in), and 1 Superstrike needle fish. That's a good start.

But get the books, that's the BEST start.

Oh, and on this site... Don't write exactly where you fish, just a general discreption such as 'western south shore'. Much more than that and it'll get blocked for something called "spot burning".

If you want to use bait, hope that "Chunkster" or "SaltySurfMan" chime in, they will offer really good advice often. Also look for their posts.

"Little brown eel comes out of the cave... Swims into the hole... Comes out of the hole... Goes back into the cave again..."

ArtemNY

posted 05/15/2012 09:50 AM  

MLaw172032 wrote:

Number 1 - what kind of fishing are you looking to do?

Yeah that's what I thought.

I fish for bass/blue only and still have huge homedepot construction box full with stuff I can never leave home... Smile

==O==============
Striper wars

ITITIfishing

posted 05/15/2012 09:53 AM  

RollI can't wait to keep reading here,Thanks for the post. Like a lot of us fishing tackle is like crack to me,I definetly have more than I need but always want more!I have developed a system of using plano boxes for specific needs,sometimes this works sometimes not.I try more often to commit to what I'm going to do before leaving the shop and pack the box/boxes I will need.I have set up an old plastic tray box just for bottom fishing,this evolves throughout the year according to seasons.I strongly suggest a visit to the dollar store for first aid stuff,hand sanitizer,cheap rags etc.and I'm always impressed at systems guys have built to hold bait at the rail.My best advice would be KEEP IT SIMPLE! Good luck and tight lines!

MLaw172032

posted 05/15/2012 11:22 AM  

ITITIfishing wrote:

RollMy best advice would be KEEP IT SIMPLE! Good luck and tight lines!

I could not agree more. My first attempt at surf fishing, I bought all this stuff from Dicks Sporting goods, had to make three trips back and forth to the car, just to spend 4 hours catching 1 giant RObin.

Since I had caught a fish - my instinct was to go back to Dicks and buy even MORE stuff. SO I did.

Now, with 3 years of education, my goal is to be able to be 100% mobile, and fish with as much ease as possible. I do still act like a child in a candy store at the tackle shop. I do hide cash from my wife to buy things I dont need there - BUT - Im doing it smarter!!! LOL!!!

Keep it as simple as possible and you will enjoy it much better!!!!!

"Little brown eel comes out of the cave... Swims into the hole... Comes out of the hole... Goes back into the cave again..."

likeitreallyis

posted 05/15/2012 01:34 PM  

Green Grass and High Tides forever,,,

jps1010

posted 05/15/2012 01:40 PM  

I am almost finished with "The Art of Surf Casting with Lures". It is well written and contains a lot of really good information I am pretty sure you will find useful.

Westender

posted 05/15/2012 05:29 PM  

Good advice from allSmile I would add Hopkins and castmaters dressed or not.

Pazzoman

posted 05/16/2012 01:11 AM  

Lindanel wrote:

Just to start, I'd add some 4" storm swim shad in bunker and pearl, a yozuri crystal minnow, a pencil popper, a rapala x-rap (the saltwater grade slashbaits), an A17 and A27 diamond jig, some white bucktails (SPRO bucktails are my favorite) along with some uncle josh pork rind trailers, and some bombers.
Also, add some quality swivels like SPRO 130 lb swivels along with some leader material in the 50-80 lb test range to tie yourself an appropriate leader when fishing lures. You can catch bluefish in the same spots you can catch bass, as well as fluke. Rocky areas will produce porgies.
Choose your lure according to what the fish are feeding on. For instance, if there are a lot of spearing or sand eels in the area, a diamond jig would work well. If there isn't visible bait present, try a bucktail or a swimming plug.
Don't be afraid to switch your lures up if one isn't working though!

Thanks for the reply, I will look up what you have listed and add it too my list. I will look closely at the water in search of possible natural baits but more then likely it will come down o the lures. I can't wait for saturday!

Tman1 wrote:

a tape measure, a couple other sized sinkers, and lures/leaders. As a minimum I would suggest a couple a17/a27 tube jigs, some 5-6 inch storms and a Popper or two.
Read up on these boards and talk to others and see why they are succsessful or why they are not. Work on expanding your knowledge of the sport and you will be successful

I will defiantly get my self a tape measures along with a chart of the sizes of legal fish. Will look into the lures you have provided thanks for the post!

MLaw172032 wrote:

1 - what kind of fishing are you looking to do? Surfcasting? Do you care what you catch? Are you looking for something specific?

I'm looking to catch BIG Strippers from the surf, with lures. That's MY goal. If your interested in that I would start with Zeno Romins "The Art of Surfcasting with Lures", William 'Doc' Mueller's "Surfcaster", and John Skinners "Fishing the Bucktail".

These three books will tell you a lot of what you need to do to get started. From exactly what gear to get, how to read beach structure, and how and when to use which lures. As you will find out-nothing is LAW, trial and error are still the best teachers. But these books give you much more than a place to start. Before I read these books I was doing just about everything wrong, from my plastic Plano tackle box to my $40 shkespeare surf rod- I was a mess. You don't need to invest $4000 on gear, but with some modest changes you'll geyt on the right path sooner.

I would start simple. Three Andos white bucktails (1/4oz, 1 oz and 2oz); Uncle Josh red/white pork rind, 3 diamond gigs (1oz, 2oz, and 3oz(for some long casting fun)); A Cotton Cordel Red Fin, and a Bomber (7in), and 1 Superstrike needle fish. That's a good start.

But get the books, that's the BEST start.

Oh, and on this site... Don't write exactly where you fish, just a general discreption such as 'western south shore'. Much more than that and it'll get blocked for something called "spot burning".

If you want to use bait, hope that "Chunkster" or "SaltySurfMan" chime in, they will offer really good advice often. Also look for their posts.

I'm looking into catching any fish of any size (of coarse if small will be released) I will try to get my hands on your listed books at the tackle shop as I think I have seen them. Yes like you have said about not needing to spend a lot of money that will be useful, as I'mm fishing on a budget (still in highschool). I will look into your following lures and add it to my "list" also thanks for letting me know about "Spot Burning" I will edit it now, thanks again

I hope they chime in as I'm a big bait user as that is all im familiar with the most, however I will still get the lures.

Thanks for your post

ArtemNY wrote:

that's what I thought.

I fish for bass/blue only and still have huge homedepot construction box full with stuff I can never leave home...

Lol I will be the same, Im the kinda guy who will bring every rig in case a random fish comes along (non targeted fish)

ITITIfishing wrote:

can't wait to keep reading here,Thanks for the post. Like a lot of us fishing tackle is like crack to me,I definetly have more than I need but always want more!I have developed a system of using plano boxes for specific needs,sometimes this works sometimes not.I try more often to commit to what I'm going to do before leaving the shop and pack the box/boxes I will need.I have set up an old plastic tray box just for bottom fishing,this evolves throughout the year according to seasons.I strongly suggest a visit to the dollar store for first aid stuff,hand sanitizer,cheap rags etc.and I'm always impressed at systems guys have built to hold bait at the rail.My best advice would be KEEP IT SIMPLE! Good luck and tight lines

Lol will check out the dollar store, and I can relate you you, I'm hidning money around the house for fishing, in case my mom wonders why thier are large amounts of money piled up in a corner lol

What do you mean "holding bait at the rail", I like using bait, but I cant figure out what you mean, thanks for the post!

MLaw172032 wrote:

could not agree more. My first attempt at surf fishing, I bought all this stuff from Dicks Sporting goods, had to make three trips back and forth to the car, just to spend 4 hours catching 1 giant RObin.

Since I had caught a fish - my instinct was to go back to Dicks and buy even MORE stuff. SO I did.

Now, with 3 years of education, my goal is to be able to be 100% mobile, and fish with as much ease as possible. I do still act like a child in a candy store at the tackle shop. I do hide cash from my wife to buy things I dont need there - BUT - Im doing it smarter!!! LOL!!!

Keep it as simple as possible and you will enjoy it much better!!!!!

I hope I catch a robin, I think they look awesome! Also I know how you feel when I go to the tackle shop I think about buying everything and then when I walk out...get to the fishing spot...and realize I forgot to purchase stuff that i needed. lol

@ Likeitreallyis

I guess thats your tackle box, great nice and simple lol

jps1010 wrote:

am almost finished with "The Art of Surf Casting with Lures". It is well written and contains a lot of really good information I am pretty sure you will find useful.

Thanks for the info will defintly purchase the book!

Westender wrote:

Good advice from all I would add Hopkins and castmaters dressed or not.

Thanks will look at the lures and add it to my list, thanks for the post!

This post edited by Pazzoman 01:14 AM 05/16/2012

Pazzoman

posted 05/25/2012 01:29 PM  

Any other things I should get?

I've been using bunker off my spot (surf fishing, no bot) should I use clams instead as I see clams around me.

Havent caught anything with bunker yet in this spot...

Viking417

posted 05/25/2012 02:50 PM  

A good divorce attorney

ITITIfishing

posted 05/25/2012 03:07 PM  

I do most of my fishing on Party boats where the bait is supplied via the mates in small plastic containers that heat up pretty fast.I've seen plenty of guys make up their own bait holders so its easier/faster to rebait and keep the bait fresher.

Pazzoman

posted 05/26/2012 12:38 AM  

Viking417 wrote:

A good divorce attorney

Exactly the reason why I'm fishing now lol, I'm 16 so got some years to enjoy!

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.