Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Dressed Tail Hooks.

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
myerst22

posted 02/13/2013 05:21 PM  

Hi. Can anyone direct me to a place where I don't have to spend 4.00-5.00 for one dressed siwash to replace hooks on plugs and to use as teasers? Or is that just what they go for? I know they are relatively easy to make yourself but work has become insanely busy and don't have time to learn how to do so. Thanks. T

KGGAT3232

posted 02/14/2013 01:09 PM  

If your in or around Lindenhurst go to GSB Tackle on Montauk highway. He matches whatever plug I bring in. He's pretty bad ass with them.

Catch Photo Release
Save The Menhaden

Reelman51

posted 02/16/2013 01:17 AM  

Terminal Tackle in Kings Park has them for $1.65 each

Saltys

posted 02/16/2013 03:26 PM  

Dressed VMC Hooks

I do all these on a machine, constant thread tension, and impregnated wraps that don't fall apart, all hooks are top quality VMC and all are dressed with holographic flash, which most do not do.

We're the Diamonds in your tackle bag!

www.saltys.co

RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 02/16/2013 10:13 PM  

Absolutely no offense intended, but from the pics on your website it looks like krystal flash to me. Could you explain what the differences are and what the holographic process is?

Check out my weekly blog at Stripers247 View from the beach
Drive your car like your life depends on it.

Saltys

posted 02/17/2013 07:30 AM  

No offense taken Rich it's a holographic product made by Hedron. I do not believe it's the same as krystal flash. krystal flash has much longer areas of no reflectivity with smaller dots than what this stuff does. The flash we use is this in bulk quantity. There is a picture here: http://www.hedroninc.com/products/flashabou-accent/flashabou-mirage-accent

I see alot of tied tails out there, and most do not have any flash on them at all. It's an extra step that I do because I think it makes a big difference in how it catches fish. Most will wrap some bucktail on a hook or some feathers. It gives you action sure but do you think it looks the same as a hook tied with something holographic on it with that bucktail or feathers?

I also use all vmc hooks. I've not seen too many dressed tails sold anywhere that were on vmc hooks. Most are no-name chinese hooks or mustad neither of which are as sharp and strong as a vmc.

And I make .25 an hour to do all this.

www.saltys.co

tman1

posted 02/17/2013 09:14 AM  

I prefer the SS Mustad siwashes... The VMC Permasteel rusts too quickly IMO. I've also had a couple VMCs snap when un-hooking fish.

Saltys

posted 02/17/2013 09:54 AM  

I won't use stainless. Just for mortality reasons.

The harder a hook is the more likely the failure is snap. I've bent vmc's in 4 and 5/0 size before but ever ever a 6/0 you could hang on that hook without bending it. I've snapped gami's and even owners on tuna but never a vmc.

Everyone likes their own hooks...that's why I don't put hooks and splits with the kits we sell. You'd spend too much time hearing people complain because one likes this and one likes that Smile

I think that vmc hook are all around one of the best hooks on the market.

Tman I have seen rusting issues with these and galvanic action. I've had a few conversations on this comparing results and ideas with other builders on why it only happened on certain lures. Have not ever figured it out but suspect it's got something to do with the carbon content of the stainless thru wire.

www.saltys.co

falsealbie

posted 02/18/2013 06:02 PM  

tman1 wrote:

I prefer the SS Mustad siwashes... The VMC Permasteel rusts too quickly IMO. I've also had a couple VMCs snap when un-hooking fish.

agreed, agreed, agreed upupup... vmc for trebles and ss mustad for siwashes! i'd even choose the gamakatsu siwashes over vmc.

tman1

posted 02/19/2013 08:56 AM  

Salty, that's interesting. I never thought of that because the plugs aren't in the water that much. I've been using 304 SS wire, Think adding a Rosco SS split ring would help? I hate tying a siwash then have it run away staining my work.

likeitreallyis

posted 02/19/2013 10:26 AM  

VMC quality has gone downhill since moving to China from France including trebles.. down

Green Grass and High Tides forever,,,

Saltys

posted 02/20/2013 07:27 PM  

tman I know of what you speak. I don't know what causes it. Others have seen it too. It's either a ph thing or galvanic action somehow causing it. It happens very quick, almost as if it was never coated. Only some do that.

VMC hooks are not made in China. VMC is owned by Rapala. They maintain a factory in france. I know because I see the stamps inside the boxes. The country of origin for customs purposes is listed as France.

If you know otherwise I'd like to see something that shows it. I will stop selling their product.

www.saltys.co

This post edited by Saltys 07:43 PM 02/20/2013

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.