Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Blogs  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Avet MXL 5.8 MC Cast Conventional Reel, What do you think about it?

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
fishmak

posted 10/15/2013 02:15 PM  

Planning to get the Avet MXL 5.8 MC Cast Conventional Reel. Will be using it for Surf Fishing, need to cast far away.

Is this a good easy casting reel?

I hear is a powerful reel, it can use for Tuna, is it true?

Which casting surf rod will you pair it with?

I need some Professional advices, thank you!

MatthewPaul
Noreast.com Club Member

Events, Seminars, & Tournaments
Surf Fishing Forum

posted 10/15/2013 02:19 PM  

Can't kill it!

I've lifted a 24 pound bass up 40 feet onto a bridge with it! 'Nough said!

LIBBA #1194

"I'll see you on the dark side of the moon."    ~"Brain Damage," Dark Side of the Moon, Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

"SOLVITUR AMBULANDO: It is solved by walking."  ~Saint Augustine

kwikstick

posted 10/15/2013 05:56 PM  

nice powerful reel but imo not a good reel for casting. if you go for it, you will need a thumb guard for sure .
i had the avet but traded it in for the abu 7000i mag(my second one)i can't get away from them, that's the reel i will recommend up

fishmak

posted 10/15/2013 08:30 PM  

kwikstick wrote:

nice powerful reel but imo not a good reel for casting. if you go for it, you will need a thumb guard for sure .
i had the avet but traded it in for the abu 7000i mag(my second one)i can't get away from them, that's the reel i will recommend up

On youtube, I watched a guy cast 150 yards Plus of a line using this reel. Anyone who own one and willing to share?! Thanks!

kcee7

posted 10/15/2013 10:06 PM  

I have one. I wouldn't use it for Tuna in the Canyons. Not enough line capacity or drag.

bassman909

posted 10/15/2013 10:15 PM  

I have one and I love it
The micro cast works great in different wind directions

Just keep it clean and don't drop it in the sand

Help keep the right to fish and the fish alive!
1-888-Join-RFA

saltysurfman

posted 10/16/2013 09:24 AM  

If you need to cast far, take a look at the Akios 757 Vitesse SCM. I purchased one this year and loaded with 20# mono and an 80# shock leader, no other comparable reel in my arsenal can compete. Match this up with one of the high performance rods available (CTS, CCP, Century, etc) and you will have the best casting and fish fighting set-up available.

Don't expect to cast far right off the bat, even with the best equipment you can buy. The rod and reel will only get you so far, learning the proper technique and practicing is the biggest battle in getting a bait a long ways.

To answer your question, I am not a big fan of Avets due to bearing side loading issues. They are not designed to take the drag pressure that we are accustomed to fishing here and you will go through bearings very frequently. If I was looking to use these, I would go with the Raptor series.

fishmak

posted 10/18/2013 07:55 AM  

saltysurfman wrote:

If you need to cast far, take a look at the Akios 757 Vitesse SCM. I purchased one this year and loaded with 20# mono and an 80# shock leader, no other comparable reel in my arsenal can compete. Match this up with one of the high performance rods available (CTS, CCP, Century, etc) and you will have the best casting and fish fighting set-up available.

Don't expect to cast far right off the bat, even with the best equipment you can buy. The rod and reel will only get you so far, learning the proper technique and practicing is the biggest battle in getting a bait a long ways.

To answer your question, I am not a big fan of Avets due to bearing side loading issues. They are not designed to take the drag pressure that we are accustomed to fishing here and you will go through bearings very frequently. If I was looking to use these, I would go with the Raptor series.

Thank you for your Professional Advice! Smile

shalom

posted 10/18/2013 10:03 AM  

Good reel

garrr

posted 10/19/2013 10:46 AM  

I have & MXJ & SX, both with the MC (magic cast), they are great casters, not as good at casting as the AKIOS,S but much more durable, just rinse with fresh water after use.

Wolfdog

posted 10/20/2013 11:12 AM  

Love itup

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum  
Jump to:  

2019 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.