Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Who's Ready For Some Blackfishing!

Page  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Discussion Boards > LI Sound Fishing
fbrbfb

posted 09/09/2013 02:39 PM  

Yes I know stupid question, but I most likely wont get out again before the October 5th opener. So I ask the question as I count the days down.

Wondering if anyone knows a inexpensive supplier for jigs? I have a bunch of Tidaltails left from last year but I am taking some young newbs this year and want to get a supply of inexpensive jigs for the young kids. You know it wont be easy or cheap to teach them LOL! Thanks.

fbrbfb

posted 09/10/2013 05:03 PM  

I am also looking to try another rod and reel combo for shallow jigging. Last year I used and really like the Shimano Stradic4000F paired with the Shimano TVSS-63L Trevala. ITs rated for 30-40 lb. braid but super light and still has a lot of power to lift with. Stopped a couple of 8lb fish with this setup last season. This rod is real nice but only 6' 3", looking for something in the 7' length. Can anyone suggest one of their favorite setups.

crabman1130

posted 09/10/2013 06:16 PM  

I'm sure you can find inexpensive jigs if you look, but why would you want to use something that's sub par with what works well? Teaching a newbie with other then the best is setting him or her up to fail. The hook ups with Tidaltails is much better then any other jig I've used. They tend to not get hung up as much as other style jigs. I've never had a problem with the hooks that they use. I believe that they are the best jig for the job.

Hey, it can't be Christmas everyday!!!!

fbrbfb

posted 09/10/2013 06:44 PM  

Crabman, your post makes good sense.I have seen Blackfish jigs shaped similar and just assumed they were as good. I just know the amount of hangs the kids are going to have and thought to save a couple bucks. It wouldnt be worth the savings if it is going to cut down on the quality of the experience. Guess I'll order a bunch of Tidaltails online but you know Im going to have to try and see for myself the difference in Jigs LOL! Any thoughts on a spinning rod and reel you like for this type of fishing? BTW only 26 days left!!

chawk

posted 09/10/2013 07:15 PM  

Joe knows I prefer Head N Tails to the Tidal Tails. They are thinner still and we only lose 1 or 2 on my boat ALL SEASON! And with last yr, was with catching over 300+ tog on my boat! Can you use cheaper ball jigs, sure. You should check out the tog jigging thread where Bigtunabunda and I discussed it at length! Toungue
They will work but in my opinion, will get snagged more. In 2011 we got over 400+ and lost 2 jigs all season.
Oh and the Head n Tails are slightly cheaper too.

Huntington Angler's Club
huntingtonanglers.com

This post edited by chawk 07:15 PM 09/10/2013

fbrbfb

posted 09/10/2013 08:30 PM  

Thank you Chawk. I will look into those jigs as well. I wasnt considering ball jigs as they sure seem like they would get rocked up more but a less expensive I guess for lack of better term knock off of the Tidaltails. As I stated earlier I have to try both myself and see how it goes, but thanks! Btw I will check our that thread on jigs, I'm so addicted to Tog fishing Ive been watching videos on youtube of people Togging LOL! Cant wait!

What spinning setup you use for your jigs?

crabman1130

posted 09/10/2013 11:15 PM  

On my last trip with Ken Floatstone I used a Tidaltail banana style jig. I seemed to get more action then Ken that day. I think it was because the way it sits the crab is sticking up.

The Heads N Tails work well too, but I've had better hook ups with Tidaltails. It could have been that I was just starting this type of fishing when I used the Head N Tails jig. I will have to do some comparison fishing my next few trips. But for now I give Tidaltails and edge.

fbrbfb

posted 09/10/2013 11:40 PM  

Crabman, I saw that picture about a week ago? didnt you just get that fish in CT? How deep were you guys fishing?

This post edited by fbrbfb 11:41 PM 09/10/2013

fish4me

posted 09/10/2013 11:46 PM  

Jigs? I'm still using good ole 4011 Virginia hooks. Silly me. Wink

chawk

posted 09/11/2013 01:03 AM  

fish4me wrote:

Jigs? I'm still using good ole 4011 Virginia hooks. Silly me. Wink

you have NO IDEA (!) what you are missing! All I am gonna say about that. lol

Joe, Both are very good. TT have Gamis and HNT have Mustad Ultra Sharp w longer point. I think they r both very good but after 100's of tog in last few yrs, have to side w HNT. And BELIEVE ME I HAVE TESTED BOTH TO THE FULLEST! LOL

Huntington Angler's Club
huntingtonanglers.com

This post edited by chawk 01:06 AM 09/11/2013

bigtunabunda

posted 09/11/2013 01:45 AM  

I like H&T and Tidal tails,.....

mainly for the hook quality, but I use ALL types of jigs, trying different things out.

YES cheaper jigs hooks will bend out but oddly I can't say I ever lost a big fish proof positive because the hook bent out.In fact when I've snagged up in bottom I've gotten jigs back many times because the hook would give and bend out eventually yanking on it and I'd get to rebend and fish it again. Caught plenty fish on jigs like that too! I just tend to bend them back after catching each fish, only takes a second.

Last fall I had real behemoth on in the western sound as I was out with some friends and ALL jaws dropped to the deck when they witnessed the runs this fish took on me. It was on a cheaper jig and the hook was intact when I got it back after having the hook just finally tear/ fall out.We had released 10 lbers earlier that day, in fact we had just thrown back one over 9 lbs when I hooked that big fish and this fish's fight made the others look like childs play. All I could do was hold the rod tight and let the drag scream and scream and scream some more! I felt totally helpless.

So yeah, it's nice to have the security of stronger hook that you believe in a bit more on your jig, but at the end of the day anything can happen and usually does.

I lift fish up then put them down!!

chawk

posted 09/11/2013 01:56 AM  

bigtunabunda wrote:

mainly for the hook quality, but I use ALL types of jigs, trying different things out.

YES cheaper jigs hooks will bend out but oddly I can't say I ever lost a big fish proof positive because the hook bent out.In fact when I've snagged up in bottom I've gotten jigs back many times because the hook would give and bend out eventually yanking on it and I'd get to rebend and fish it again. Caught plenty fish on jigs like that too! I just tend to bend them back after catching each fish, only takes a second.

Last fall I had real behemoth on in the western sound as I was out with some friends and ALL jaws dropped to the deck when they witnessed the runs this fish took on me. It was on a cheaper jig and the hook was intact when I got it back after having the hook just finally tear/ fall out.We had released 10 lbers earlier that day, in fact we had just thrown back one over 9 lbs when I hooked that big fish and this fish's fight made the others look like childs play. All I could do was hold the rod tight and let the drag scream and scream and scream some more! I felt totally helpless.

So yeah, it's nice to have the security of stronger hook that you believe in a bit more on your jig, but at the end of the day anything can happen and usually does.

Hey Ken. We have to try n do it again this season! Can't wait for the 10th (cuz we can't run across till then!) Gonna have to try n put a bite together on our side for 5 days!
ttys Bill

Huntington Angler's Club
huntingtonanglers.com

BlueMarlin478

posted 09/11/2013 11:34 AM  

CANT WAIT!

Seriously my favorite kind of fishing in the sound.

fbrbfb

posted 09/11/2013 11:59 AM  

Still asking you guys what rod and reels you using that you like? I only have one setup im real happy with looking for another.

crabman1130

posted 09/11/2013 01:34 PM  

To be honest with you I use an inexpensive Diawa combo I picked up in Dicks. The way I'm going I'll probably blow it up or break it on one of these fish.

Discussion Boards > LI Sound Fishing Page  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.