Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

watch out for your kids please!

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
kwikstick

posted 08/22/2009 12:33 PM  

hey guys,

i'm sure we all read that horrible story last week about the little boy, at the upstate campsite, that wandered off and was found, very sadly dead! my prayers go out to his family.

i was at RM yesterday fishing when all of a sudden there was this little boy about 7 or 8, right next to me and he asks me what i was trying to catch,as we chatted i realized that the kid might be alttle "slow" or maybe he didn't understand english that well,anyway we were having a hard time communicating with each other. so i'm fishing and the kids playing right in front of me in the rough surf,i'm looking around and saying to myself "where is this kids parents"

so before i know it the kids 50 yards down the beach walking towards the nudie section, i look around again and still no one is looking after him.now hes about 200 yards down the beach, skipping and playing in the surf,(again the surf is kicking and one misstep and the kid would have been gone) and he's pretty much in his own little world!

so i gather my gear and i start to follow him down the beach hoping he is walking towards his parents( i didn't think he was because by now he is right smack in the middle of the nude beach) he was moving at a pretty good pace and i was having a hard time catching up to him(man kids are quick)...i finally GOT TO HIM after the second nude beach...

now i'm just a normal, nice guy, mr. fisherman that followed the kid, if i wasn't there it could have been anyone that "got to him" i think we all know what i mean!!!... SCARY!!!

so i reach the kid and i start asking him questions about his parents,and where they were sitting, and the kid had no answers.
so i talk the kid into coming with me as we head back to RM...the kid trusted me as he would have most likely trusted ANYONE!

sorry about the long story, i just had to get it out there,a day after and it still makes me shake thinking about what could have gone wrong!

as we are walking back i see a lifeguard buggy coming towards us..i flag them down and i tell them that i think we have a lost kid,the lifeguard says to the kid, is your name austin and austin shakes his head yes!!!

austin was missing for over an hour and was found 2 miles from where his parents were in a state of panic! thank god this story had a happy ending!

Scott1280

posted 08/22/2009 12:39 PM  

Thank God you are a nice guy and did the right thing.up A situation like that, with the wrong people finding him, could have had a very different ending. Amazing they let their kid wander off like that.

At least the panic over the "Fiscal Cliff" proved the "Bush Tax Cuts for the Rich" montra was a load of crap repeated by Liars and ignorant lemmings.

walleyeman
Noreast.com Club Member

Events, Seminars, & Tournaments
Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports

posted 08/22/2009 12:49 PM  

Way to be attentive and concerned enough to do what you did. up

LIBBA #1983
MSA #1982

ChuckD

posted 08/22/2009 01:27 PM  

Scary story. Good thing you are the person you are Mike, otherwise this story could have had a very sad ending

Chuck

eisey

posted 08/22/2009 01:36 PM  

two thumbs up to you for being vigilant.

When I was divorced in the seventies, on the day I had visiting rights, I would go to field 5 to fish with my kids. When they would get bored and adventourous I would send them over to that nice lady on the beach towel to the east of us, but that is another story.

all kidding aside, thank you for being you.

Bob Eisey,  LIBBA 1002,  MSA 295

saltedcod

posted 08/22/2009 02:10 PM  

nice job!
one questions with the kid - did he wander away from the sun?
for lost kids at the beach they say 90% of the time younger kids will wander with the sun at their back

i worry when people bring their little kids to gilgo or demo -
someone is going to get caught in the wash and without life guards it is going to be a horrible accident...

i wish these people would pay attention to the news and realize how dangerous the beach - especially the ocean can be...

1ZXguy

posted 08/22/2009 02:31 PM  

NICE GOING GUY :upupupupupupup

~~PETE~~
MSA#638
Long Distance Surfcaster

kwikstick

posted 08/22/2009 02:42 PM  

saltedcod wrote:

nice job!
one questions with the kid - did he wander away from the sun?
for lost kids at the beach they say 90% of the time younger kids will wander with the sun at their back

wow ...thats exactly what the lifeguard told me and yes the kid was walking east (to eisey's favorite spotSmile ) at 3pm ,away from the sun!

and in most cases its hard to put blame on the parents we all hear the horror stories, all it takes is a couple of seconds sometimes for stuff to happen..i'm just glad i was in the right place at the right time!! thank you everyoneup

CHEVY1

posted 08/22/2009 03:55 PM  

Wow,
you did a great thing. Im sure the parents where loosing their minds looking for him. I have 3 kids and it only takes 1 second for them to disapear. When I take them anywhere Im like a hawk spying a meal watching themup

I drive a jeep, but CHEVY is in my blood. libba # 1742, Striped Bass Coop.
Take more garbage than you brought with you-every time!

RJCAPPY

posted 08/22/2009 05:18 PM  

Way to go kwik! That's a lucky kid, his guardian angel is a surf rat! Can't get better than that. upupup

LeoDA

posted 08/22/2009 05:31 PM  

Scary is right....great job doing the right thing! up Smile

mikeyreef

posted 08/22/2009 08:40 PM  

kwik you got a few nice blitzes in your future.
my kids are all grown, but what you did was a very great thing though it may seem small. thanks for taking the time to check a situation that you just as easily could have ignored as im sure many did
god bless you
mike

LIBBA #1989
MSA #0127
HRFA

Plumber60

posted 08/22/2009 09:09 PM  

Kwik,
God Bless. As I tell my kids all the time," you can't bank on it, but if the guy has a fishing rod in his hand, he's probably OK." Nice to see that there are still people out there like your self.up

BennyBass

posted 08/22/2009 09:27 PM  

Way to goupup. I'm sure if the kid wondered a little more he would have ran into Leo sunningsurprise JK Leo. Hi LeoToungueToungueToungueToungue.>>>>>>>>>Martin

LIBBA 1347

Keepitreel62

posted 08/22/2009 10:07 PM  

wow

The BEST catch of the day. Way to goupSmile

Fish hard and carry a Big stick.

LIBBA# 1756
MSA# 729

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.