Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

North Fork Trip Photo/Story Contest and 1/2 Trip to Winner!

Page  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Boards > Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep
rpavlick
Noreast.com Club Member

posted 09/08/2011 04:37 PM  

Long Island's North Fork offers a wide variety for the inshore angler. From Plum Gut striped bass to trophy blackfish and several other species in between, the North Fork is every bit a fishing destination as other more famous local destinations throughout the northeast.

Let us know your favorite moment fishing the North Fork. If you have yet to fish it, let us know the favorite moment you would like to have! Photos and detail are encouraged! Let's share some stories! Everyone who participates will automatically be entered into a drawing and one lucky winner will get a half day trip on the Montyman II this fall!

Thanks to Captain James Montalbano of the Montyman II for offering this prize! The Montyman II is docked at Orient By The Sea Marina in Orient and conveniently close to the fishing grounds. The Montyman II is a 32' foot downeaster available for private charters for 1-6 people for all species in season. www.montymanfishing.com

This contest will last until September 28th. Good Luck!

Want to advertise on noreast.com?
[email protected]
631 863 0170 ext. 28

www.facebook.com/noreastsaltwater

This post edited by rpavlick 05:07 PM 09/08/2011

pooch692000

posted 09/08/2011 05:42 PM  

Who needs flounder, weaks are a jumpin!!!!!

Back when I was 13, my Dad, who is not much of a fisherman but loves to sit on the boat, read his newspaper and imbibe in his favorite libation, woke me up one morning and said it was flat calm and he wanted to take a ride to go flounder fishing in Shinnecock bay. Never one to say no to fishing, we grabbed two rods and the tackle box and walked to our 15' Whaler at the dock.

True to his word, it was a beautiful fall day and being a weekday after labor day and me with no school (hooky), we headed out from Cutchogue Harbor to try and bring some flatties back to mom and sisters back home in nassau county and I'd cook a nice surprise dinner for us all.

Past the Robin's Island North Race heading towards the locks, I see a school of birds working just West of the Island. We motor over slowly and the fish were busting everywhere. Thinking they were bunker, I changed the Flounder rig to a snag figuring we'd use them as additional chum to attract the flatties. This was not to happen.

Drop the snag over the side without even casting and up comes a nice 18" weakfish. My dad loves weakfish so he says "I hell with flounder, catch some more". Was quick easy pickings, so we just rotated the rod between ourselves and in 5 minutes had plenty of food for the table and called it a day.

Get home and call mom and told her not to prepare dinner, Dad and I had a nice surprise for her. She says, "great, but I already bought weakfish at the store to surprise you guys" Great memories and great day. Guess I'm old enough where I can say "I remember the good old days when weakfish used to jump into the boat".

JC30967

posted 09/08/2011 05:46 PM  

Great idea, Rob up. The North Fork is definately a treasure we LI anglers are blessed to have! It's one of my favorite destinations, wheather for the spring run of fluke or fishing in the fall for those beautiful mahuska chins or some late summer/early fall scuppin ( which myself and a few others are planning on doing next week Shades). What a scenic part of the Island,too up! I don't feel like I'm on Long Island when driving along Sound Ave, with all the farms and such. It's a good example of what most of our area looked like at one time. And it's always nice to make a stop on the way home from fishing at one of the farm stands for some fresh local LI produce, or at Breirmier's (spell?) for one of their delicious pies up

Here is a story of one of my most memorable trips out to the North Fork, happened just this past May. Funny thing is, it isn't such a memorable trip due to excellent fishing,rather it was the company of three terrific individuals who I had the pleasure and honor of fishing with that made this trip so enjoyable for me.

I'll let a salesman's words do the telling Toungue

Fishin with Lep,Neil and Mike Bady

Somewhere in Chicago,a community is missing its organizer

This post edited by JC30967 06:56 PM 09/08/2011

surfkid

posted 09/08/2011 07:38 PM  

heres mine SmileSmileSmile

Biggest Fish Of My Life

good luck everyone and tight lines.SmileSmileSmile

Confusedim not sure how to make that a link can someone tell me

*Take a look at how I edited your post

fishings in the blood
"A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at school".
FISH ON !!!!!!!!!

This post edited by Hunt n' Fish 07:52 PM 09/08/2011

schmakalak

posted 09/09/2011 06:07 AM  

northfork fishing

I have never been fishing out off the north fork, been to montauk a few times and It was excellent. I would love to go out one early morning and catch a nice stripper for some good eats. Nothing beats an early morning fall trip with nice calm weather, seeing the sunrise while you cast into a frenzy of fish Really . Maybe catch some nice big blues while your at it.
Tight lines boys

marlinman630

posted 09/09/2011 06:27 AM  

My best north fork trip was a charter out in orient that one of my friends invited me on. It was about 3 years ago. We spent some time diamond jigging, caught some MONSTER blues. Then we switched for porgys and caught loads of them. Overall it was a really good day of fishing. Just wish we would have caught some bass!

Jeff Lomonaco, 20 Years Old, Fishing since im 3. I do freshwater, saltwater, fly fishing in both as well, pretty much everything. Im addicted to fishing

GrandCrew

posted 09/09/2011 08:42 AM  

I have many memorable days out in peconic bay from catching oversized fish to having seals pop there heads up next to my boat while fishing. The most memorable though was an early season ride with my family. Wife and five kids. Girls wanted to get some sun as we were headed to a wedding the following week. Seas were flat. So I went to Peconic Bay shut the engines down dropped four lines down to bottom put two chairs out which my two youngest quickly claimed. My youngest at the time she was five said and I quote "I'm gonna catch me a shark!" I said great Emily go catch one. Some time went by I was busy cleaning the windows on my boat and my oldest daughter comes out of the cabin and says Dad I think you caught something because the rod is bent in half. I told her to take the rod out of the holder and reel it in. She couldn't take the rod out of the holder because the fish was fighting too hard. I take the rod and sure enough it was a nice strong fish. I was thinking bluefish at first. Well my two youngest were excited to see what we caught when up from the deep we see we have a three foot sand shark hooked. Well my kids start freaking out as I bring the fish onboard. Emily starts climbing the ladder to my flybridge as fast as she can. I tell emily why are you scared, you said you were going to catch a shark? Dogfish was released to bring enjoyment/annoyance to another fisherman and we have a story for life.

danielradman

posted 09/09/2011 10:21 AM  

Best fishing I've had on the North Fork was last summer, July 2010. While making our annual run to Montauk for a "guys fishing weekend", we stopped in Plum Gut around 7:00pm on a Thursday night. Beautiful night, great sunset....and tons of birds swarming with monster blues breaking on the surface. It was non-stop top water action on blues for about an hour, bringing in 8-12 lbs yellow-eyed-monsters. Loved it! What a fantastic way to start that great weekend of fishing.

dbake

posted 09/09/2011 11:16 AM  

Plum Gut trip

My nephew had just returned from an eight month deployment (he is an F-18 fighter pilot, see photo) flying the skies over Afghanastan and he came up from Virginia Beach for a long weekend with hopes of fishing. Weather wasn't too cooperative but we found a window Friday afternoon in mid-August and went out. Had brought along bait as I figured Fluke or Sea Bass would be our best bet (he wanted bass). Caught plenty of short fluke behind the ruins for 45 minutes, but decided to run over to Plum Gut to see if we could find some bluefish. Not a single boat fishing so figured we were out of luck. Found birds working near Plum Island and his first cast with a surface plug produced a 32" bass. We wound up with 11 bass (25" to 33") and 5 bluefish. Pretty fortunate to find bass on top in the middle of the day in August. Great memories.

surfkid

posted 09/09/2011 03:06 PM  

thanks hunt n fish

fishings in the blood
"A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at school".
FISH ON !!!!!!!!!

fishin4stripers

posted 09/09/2011 04:42 PM  

Never fished the north fork but would like to! Would be looking for some BIG STRiPeRS!

a BaD Day oF FiSHiNG iS BeTTer THaN a GooD Day aT WoRK!
GoT JuiCe?

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep
Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 09/09/2011 05:22 PM  

Jay - that really was a nice trip, right? Worst results of the fluke season, yet somehow one of my best trips.

Go figure . . . Shades up

Lep

"Hi, my name is Pete and I have a fishing gear problem."

dr2202

posted 09/09/2011 05:31 PM  

fishing the north fork

this is one of my favorite spots- Plum Gut ... one of the last times i fished with my brother- he was killed on 9/11

ltbassman

posted 09/09/2011 05:53 PM  

several years back walked up to what may have been thompsons beach and joined in on bass and humongus blues for a 4-5 hr fall blitz. not seen the likes of it since. Rich

Discussion Boards > Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep Page  1, 2, 3  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.