Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Fishing out by Sandcity and more into LI Sound

Discussion Boards > General Fishing Forum
therumbler811

posted 06/28/2009 11:48 PM  

Hey there, I'm new to this community. I just have a few quick questions in reference to tackle.

First of all, for Porgies, what length of leader is best for a 15ft deep area off Sand City? I use my 30# green PowerPro braid with a 50# fluoro leader, its my tackle for bass currently. It catches plenty, a bite every 1-2 minutes. Another issue is that the little buggers seem to have the ability to release my hooks on will. Any recommendations would be fantastic.

Now for bass, I use the above listed line. I use 8/O Octopus circles. I try to fish close to shores two hours before tides. I don't have a fishfinder just yet but I am working on it. I use a fishfinder rig with about 2' of leader. I've only caught two bass with this rig, one was a keeper, 32" and 9 lbs; both were from surf casting off Centerport Beach on sandworms. I go fishing very often so this turn out is a huge frustration. I recently invested in a boat with my father so I am looking for tips on catching bass this way.

Does chumming show a lot of improvement? The boat is a 26' Imperial, I/O, not sure how well I would do trolling.

Thanks for any help, also I am sure any other people would be interested to see your rig setups and general tips.

Matthew419

posted 07/03/2009 08:58 PM  

Rumbler,

I'm relatively new to saltwater myself (2 years now), and still learning, but since no one else has responded, I'll tell you what I do know. You don't need a huge leader for the porgies. This setup works fine for me: a 50-pound mono leader (3 feet total) with two dropper loops on it and a small hook on each (don't remember the exact size), about a foot apart, and a loop for my sinker on the bottom. Every now and then you'll get a double header.

As for the bass, I have found chumming to be helpful. Cut your chum pieces small and drop them behind the boat, letting the tide carry them toward your bait. Fresh bunker is best when in season. You don't have to fish only the change of tides; any tide can work insofar as you know which tide is best in a given location. Generally speaking, fish the steep ledges against which a given tide is pushing.

chawk

posted 07/06/2009 02:59 PM  

Rumbler,
The length of the leader is mostly a matter of personal preference. I prefer 6 to 7ft (or about a rod length) of leader on PwPr. The weight we use though varies. For porgies, usually 20lb flouro is fine. for bass, 30lb to 50lb, depending on surrounding structure (ie.rocks). For porgy hooks, try #2 to 1/0 gami octopus. Porgies are notorious bait stealers so don't fret about losing a few.
For bass and porgies around this time of year, try the Brushpile (south of triangle buoy 13). The rips you can spot easily during middle of the tide, without a depthfinder.
If you are interested in accelerating your learning curve, consider joining the Huntington Anglers Club. PM me for more info if you want. We meet 4th Wednesday of the month @ Huntington Elks Club on Main St 8pm. Good Luck, Bill on Knighthawk

Huntington Angler's Club
huntingtonanglers.com

This post edited by chawk 03:00 PM 07/06/2009

Discussion Boards > General Fishing Forum  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.