Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

An Open Question To the Members . Who and What are we ?

Page  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Discussion Boards > General Fishing Forum
TonySMJC

posted 10/18/2013 08:41 AM  

With all the contentious threads lately I cant help but to ask,

Who and what are we, are we fishermen of all kinds, boat , surf pier ,river stream , lake and ocean or are we as a site turning into stripers online or stripers 24 /7 ?

Are we just a bunch of separate groups bumping heads at every turn or are we one group FISHERMEN ?

For many years we have come here to chat and share fishing stories ,
gotten together at raft ups , bashs , diner clubs and fishing trips
all because we shared a common interest FISHING and cathing fish.
Now its a battle surf , pier , rec, comm , party boat , spear , and even surfers get in on the misery.

Its not fun any more.

The last closed striper thread was the capper. One "fisherman" who keeps his questioning another group that kept theirs all because he deems on species more valuable than another. Because a lot of big dead stripers look bloodier than 45 scup

lets see 45 scup at 1.5 lbs avg 67.5 lbs

2 dead bass at 30 lbs apiece 60 lbs

I don't know seems pretty on par to me.

But it was encouraging , the support shown by most towards the fisherman was a bright spot and Captain Amandas post was spot on, but it goes deeper.

We as a community need to decide who and what we are , Fishermen or
some brand of quasi fishing environmentalist. are we and the site simple turning into another striper site.

Its really coming to a head lately I guess time will tell
I hope the site and membership can stand the strain.

I type this as
a fisherman 1st
a member 2nd
as a boat owner 3rd
and as a business operator last

where do you Stand?

Take a kid fishing they are the future of our sport and our world

togilator

posted 10/18/2013 08:50 AM  

Im for conservation and im for killin Tog,Bass,cod,Porgies,Fluke,Salmon,deer,ducks,Pheasants,rabbits,bear and all other fish and game if managed so that future sportsman will have a chance like I did.ShadesSmileShades

FishScale

posted 10/18/2013 09:00 AM  

Lock n load,, kill at will up

I'm with you on that cornball stripers online sissy club Tone!!!

yunvfrank

posted 10/18/2013 09:03 AM  

I am a fisherman, period. I see and saw the site as a way of making new friends that share a common interest, which I have. But just like in society there always tends to be a group of Debbie downers. I just steer clear of them, let them argue over there nonsense. Life is too damn short to cry about "isn't it sad what these PB are doing?" Roll I fish and will continue to fish, I will follow the regulations of fishing exactly to what they say. If someone doesn't like it than I suggest finding another hobby. I hear stamp collecting is pretty neatRollRoll sometimes it baffles me people talking about fishing on a fishing site.

In Apple We Trust.
Instagram name: fishinguy81 look me up and follow.
Is there anything better then fishing? DOUBT IT!

FreestylePete

posted 10/18/2013 09:54 AM  

I am a fisherman who fishes mostly from piers and the surf. I am all in agreement about keeping species of fish viable to future fishing but I think its crazy when the rules are bent for the commercial boats, party boats etc. I think fishing is a great hobby and I love fishing with my wife and family.

emuehlbauer

posted 10/18/2013 10:02 AM  

I am purely a recreational fisherman....who doesn't get to fish nearly as often as I'd like. Maybe some day I'll retire and spend more time at my NF place...but for now, after 2 rounds of surgery and beating cancer, I'm looking forward to going back to work on Monday...and fishing tonight. I fish from shore, light tackle in my local Peconic Bay channel, most of the time. Only my kids have cars, so its walking distance for me. Sometimes the Sound. Shorebound...I like walking and tossing lures. Every other year or so, I charter a boat out of Orient for bass in the Race. Haven't been on a party boat in years...right now I can't handle horsing in fish anyway...not to mention issues I have with party boat crowds (my thread from last year in the PB section). But I am OK with all fishing..surf, charter and party boats, and commercial- hey, I buy fish too! For a perspective on the issues, I can't recommend highly enough Men's Lives by Peter Matthiessen...the best book I've ever read about fishing. I still can't make sense of the arguments and vituperation here. Oh....I have kept every keeper bass I have ever caught from shore. I don't catch so many...in fact, keepers are pretty rare for me. I do release small blues and weaks.

likeitreallyis

posted 10/18/2013 10:11 AM  

TonySMJC wrote:

are we as a site turning into stripers online or stripers 24 /7 ?

.. That would be a change for the better up

They don't tolerate much

many here would be gone...

Please continue.. Shades

Green Grass and High Tides forever,,,

fish4me

posted 10/18/2013 11:46 AM  

I fish. For me.

Deanonyc

posted 10/18/2013 11:50 AM  

I've caught more fish because of the reports and threads on this site. I waste less time trying to figure out tides, lure choice, and where the bite is because of this site. I've shown off my catches, and dropped my jaw in amazement at others' catches. Grateful for the advice that's made me a better angler, and consider a bunch of guys on here as buddies.

I know things get heated when the conservation talk gets going. I've kept plenty of fish over the years and have let plenty of keepers swim away after taking their mug shot. I don't understand all the science and haven't been fishing long enough to see patterns of personal catches to get up on a soap box. That said, I think there might be something wrong and lean towards letting more fish go than I keep. I don't frown on guys that keep their limit, but I do shake my head at some of the "slaughter" pics on here of abundant catches. How much is enough? I know it's within the law, and I know that the boundaries of the law don't have to be reached every trip that's a banner one.

It's the conversations on both sides on reports, replies, and threads that's going to hopefully lead to a compromise on what's going to keep the fishing in our area the dynamic one it is for generations to come.

The chew is on, great weather forecast for the wknd. Hope everyone gets on the bite.

movetheboat

posted 10/18/2013 12:28 PM  

we are a microcosm of society in general....and we all know how that isConfused

Most do have some interest in fishing in one way or the other...that's the only differencesurprise

https://media.giphy.com/media/QGzPdYCcBbbZm/giphy.gif

TonySMJC

posted 10/18/2013 12:39 PM  

Liri

I'm going to let this thread run a second before
Responding
That way I can respond to the 2 or 3 like you all at once

Take a kid fishing they are the future of our sport and our world

movetheboat

posted 10/18/2013 12:42 PM  

uhh ohsurprise Don't put me in there Tony....I'm all about filet and release you know thatup

https://media.giphy.com/media/QGzPdYCcBbbZm/giphy.gif

yunvfrank

posted 10/18/2013 01:37 PM  

movetheboat wrote:

uhh ohsurprise Don't put me in there Tony....I'm all about filet and release you know thatup

That's T-Shirt material right there Gene "filet and release" ToungueToungue

In Apple We Trust.
Instagram name: fishinguy81 look me up and follow.
Is there anything better then fishing? DOUBT IT!

Slug1959

posted 10/18/2013 01:43 PM  

Personally I am a selective harvest type although no one should judge others, especially those they do not know. Judging others seems to have become a national past time. I had found myself doing that in the past and I have made a conscious effort to stop. This site is becoming sparse as far as interesting information and adventure is concerned, with some notable exceptions. I come here mainly because work does not permit my going out as much as I would like and it is a way to stay in touch with the sport from my dark, dank cubicle.

So much to ponder. So few brain cells to achieve the mission.

Peteroc317

posted 10/18/2013 02:03 PM  

yunvfrank wrote:

movetheboat wrote:

That's T-Shirt material right there Gene "filet and release" ToungueToungue

Someone beat you to it Frank

Discussion Boards > General Fishing Forum Page  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.