Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Beating on schoolies.....

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler
kdstriper77

posted 11/24/2012 05:01 PM  

....with the intent on doing so.

Please explain to me how this is a great and exciting exercise for an experienced angler.

I'm open to suggestions as to why it is so beloved. However,with our stocks in a full blown plummet, I doubt you will change my point of view.

It's open for civilized discussion.

fish4me

posted 11/24/2012 06:08 PM  

Confused

capt13

posted 11/24/2012 06:25 PM  

kdstriper77 wrote:

....with the intent on doing so.

Please explain to me how this is a great and exciting exercise for an experienced angler.

One of the most enjoyable things about fishing is when you get a chance to beat on 'em. Toungue

I've had this pleasure many, many, days where I caught 100 plus schoolies on jigs in November!
Most memorable was a couple years back, when my son and I tallied 288 in just under 3 hrs ..... right in Smithtown bay!

The ocean is my only medication.

the3fishheads

posted 11/24/2012 07:12 PM  

kdstriper77 wrote:

....Please explain to me how this is a great and exciting exercise for an experienced angler.

No explanation necessary.
It aint.
Its about the never ending quest for the thrill of chasing the fish of a life time.
U just wont find it on any bar around here. But u look off to the horizon for the cloud.
The cloud in the shape of the Holy Grail. up

Gone fishin

filo1

posted 11/25/2012 01:27 AM  

kdstriper77 wrote:

However,with our stocks in a full blown plummet,

If you are talking about striped bass can you tell me where you are getting this info from?Roll

FIRST IN LAST OUT.....   of the water

cozeinlb

posted 12/17/2012 05:22 PM  

Schoolies versus Cows?

Some people would make the point that keeping a schoolie over a cow or trophy size bass is better for the stocks.

Now that doesn't mean you should be pulling in hundreds of bass just to release them but if done responsibly they can be released alive an well.

I don't think t would be any fun to catch and release a hundred bass, way too much work.

capt13

posted 12/17/2012 06:21 PM  

cozeinlb wrote:

Some people would make the point that keeping a schoolie over a cow or trophy size bass is better for the stocks.

Now that doesn't mean you should be pulling in hundreds of bass just to release them but if done responsibly they can be released alive an well.

I don't think t would be any fun to catch and release a hundred bass, way too much work.

fishing is a competitive venture ..... the whole "beating the chest" thing ..... that is where the motivation comes from. have you ever watched the

Bassmaster Classic

The ocean is my only medication.

This post edited by capt13 06:34 PM 12/17/2012

beatonem

posted 12/17/2012 07:35 PM  

Did someone say "beat on em" lol.I try to beat on every species I catch but its all about getting to the big ones! We have all caught many fish in our days but it is those big ones of any species that really stand out. 8-9# largemouth from local ponds,2# sunnies all the way to 200+lb yellowfins still looking for bigger!

Part of the reason the majority of blitz fishing I have been lucky enough to witness and be involved in lasts a short period of time, I rather sit back and take the whole natural site in than keep catching 5-10# fish, blitz's with 20-30# fish different story but havent been lucky enough to get into one of those to often.

So hell Yeah, in my opinion wacking schoolies is fun for a short period of time but catching 200 I rather spend my time hunting that big girl. It's all about the never ending hunt for the one!

Happy Holidays to All, BEATONEM!

stpaul7
BIG DOG WINNER

posted 12/17/2012 08:21 PM  

I don't know about you but if I find a school of shorts we'll catch a few and then move on. Who wants to catch shorts? There usually keepers near by, Well at least where I fish ?

BOAT FISH COUNT  MAMA MIA FISHING

marktore

posted 12/18/2012 09:41 AM  

Because most people here are fishermen and we love to fish for sport and fun at times.

As long as you are practicing quality catch and release I dont see why there is a problem.

MT

26' JC - Suzie Too

Smokey555

posted 12/18/2012 10:21 AM  

capt13 wrote:

cozeinlb wrote:

fishing is a competitive venture ..... the whole "beating the chest" thing ..... that is where the motivation comes from. have you ever watched the

Bassmaster Classic

That's funny you mention that because when I get
Into the schoolies real good on my boat I pretend
Like I'm in the classic . Especially by myself I get real into it lol

So this where you work turtle? Only when da surfs bad Barney . Cause when da surfs good NOBODY works

Bomb hills not countries
Striped bass make it a gamefish

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler  
Jump to:  

2022 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.