Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

star tron, ring free, or both

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler
offracing

posted 08/20/2013 08:29 PM  

hey guys ive been trying to keep my 2001 yamaha 250 ox66 from having ethanaol related issues, ive just started using yamaha ring free, and some people swear by the star tron enzyme treatment, any advice if i should use both, just startron, just ring free, or add a stabilizer also, your opinions would be greatly appreciated,thanks in advance buddies.
carl

DarthBaiter

posted 08/20/2013 09:11 PM  

offracing wrote:

hey guys ive been trying to keep my 2001 yamaha 250 ox66 from having ethanaol related issues, ive just started using yamaha ring free, and some people swear by the star tron enzyme treatment, any advice if i should use both, just startron, just ring free, or add a stabilizer also, your opinions would be greatly appreciated,thanks in advance buddies.
carl

If you feel the need to use something, I'd say ring free...

The stabil for when you store the boat for the winter.

If your motors survived the initial switch over to E10, I wouldn't use StarTron or any of the other gas treatments.

Support your local Mom n Pop stores.

offracing

posted 08/20/2013 09:15 PM  

first year

DarthBaiter wrote:

offracing wrote:

carl

If you feel the need to use something, I'd say ring free...

The stabil for when you store the boat for the winter.

If your motors survived the initial switch over to E10, I wouldn't use StarTron or any of the other gas treatments.

hey joe, this is the first year ive owned the boat so i have no idea how the person before me treated this issue if at all, im just trying to prevent any issues joe, do you use anything joe?.
carl

DarthBaiter

posted 08/20/2013 09:21 PM  

I use nothing and add some stabil in the fall. But I'm cheap like that. surpriseSmile

I do try to use good oil though, Yamalube or a synthetic blend...

How they been running lately?

This post edited by DarthBaiter 09:22 PM 08/20/2013

offracing

posted 08/20/2013 09:52 PM  

ok

the mechanic said it was running aliitle rough and probaly dont have much shelf life left on her, but since using the ring free it seems to be idling smoother, maybe my imagination but i actually think it is smoother.
carl

pokey

posted 08/20/2013 09:58 PM  

I use Startron and ring free PLUS in my f-250. Startron because sometimes I dont use the boat a whole bunch and it will prevent phase separation if it sits awhile. If you use your boat a lot then I dont think you really need it except ,as stated, when you store it. I use the newer Ring Free PLUS because it was supposedly formulated to stop the silver residue that was appearing in VST tanks and causing tons of problems. So far so good after 4 years. Who knows if its that...maybe Im just lucky.

pokey

"Anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron ....

offracing

posted 08/20/2013 10:14 PM  

thanks

pokey wrote:

I use Startron and ring free PLUS in my f-250. Startron because sometimes I dont use the boat a whole bunch and it will prevent phase separation if it sits awhile. If you use your boat a lot then I dont think you really need it except ,as stated, when you store it. I use the newer Ring Free PLUS because it was supposedly formulated to stop the silver residue that was appearing in VST tanks and causing tons of problems. So far so good after 4 years. Who knows if its that...maybe Im just lucky.

thanks, i really dont use the boat all that often as i fish on buddies boats, thats what im worried most about is the phase seperation.
carl

mmcpeck

posted 08/27/2013 02:17 PM  

I'd use both. The OX66 is prone to carbon build up (as most 2 strokes are) and ring free will keep your O2 sensor a bit cleaner as well as manage the carbon build up around the rings and ports.

The Star Tron is both for treating the Ethanol in the fuel as well as a stabilizer. For the price of a $17 bottle of it, you'll save yourself the headache of phase separation, and it also has some cleaning properties. Double treat with it in the Fall for winter storage and you'll be good in the Spring. Regular Stabil is useless in Ethanol fuels, they make an Ethanol version, but for my money I'll use the Star Tron.

There a few things that will cause an OX66 to run rough before jumping to the conclusion of it being almost done. LP fuel pumps, VST filter, clean the O2 sensor and decarb the cavity it sits in and continue to run the ring free as it'll clean up things you can't get to, run it at a higher concentration for a few tank fulls.

Make sure you have a good, clean fuel/water separator on it. As mentioned most experts would recommend you use Yamalube in an OX66 as well.

Good luck with it.

DarthBaiter

posted 08/27/2013 02:31 PM  

If you felt that ring free helped, You might want to do a "shock" treatment with the ring free.

MACKS

posted 08/27/2013 07:53 PM  

DarthBaiter wrote:

If you felt that ring free helped, You might want to do a "shock" treatment with the ring free.

Or sea foam..

offracing

posted 08/28/2013 08:38 PM  

thanks

mmcpeck wrote:

I'd use both. The OX66 is prone to carbon build up (as most 2 strokes are) and ring free will keep your O2 sensor a bit cleaner as well as manage the carbon build up around the rings and ports.

The Star Tron is both for treating the Ethanol in the fuel as well as a stabilizer. For the price of a $17 bottle of it, you'll save yourself the headache of phase separation, and it also has some cleaning properties. Double treat with it in the Fall for winter storage and you'll be good in the Spring. Regular Stabil is useless in Ethanol fuels, they make an Ethanol version, but for my money I'll use the Star Tron.

There a few things that will cause an OX66 to run rough before jumping to the conclusion of it being almost done. LP fuel pumps, VST filter, clean the O2 sensor and decarb the cavity it sits in and continue to run the ring free as it'll clean up things you can't get to, run it at a higher concentration for a few tank fulls.

Make sure you have a good, clean fuel/water separator on it. As mentioned most experts would recommend you use Yamalube in an OX66 as well.

Good luck with it.

thanks guys, ive been using the star tron and the ring free together, im hoping this engine has some life left in it cause damn i dont have the greenbacks to repower, not sure if this is true but 2 differnt guys told me if the prior owner always used regular 2 stroke oil dont change to synthetic cause its use to running on regular, i dont believe that statement, what do you guys think?.
carl

DarthBaiter

posted 08/29/2013 08:43 AM  

A shock treatment to clean the carbon build up then use the blended or synthetic oil.

With out the shock treatment, it'd be useless, as the carbon build up is already there.

offracing

posted 08/30/2013 12:27 AM  

joe

DarthBaiter wrote:

A shock treatment to clean the carbon build up then use the blended or synthetic oil.

With out the shock treatment, it'd be useless, as the carbon build up is already there.

hey joe what do you mean by a shock treatment with ring free and how is it done buddy?.

NonTypical

posted 08/30/2013 05:22 AM  

IIRC, you can double the dose for a shock treatment.

MACKS

posted 08/30/2013 07:56 AM  

I use Sea Foam to de carb,one gallon of gas in a clean jug,add a can of sea foam run engine for ten or 15 minutes and let it sit for 15 minutes,repeat this until when you restart it dosen't smoke like a locomotive,do it on a windy day lol,some serious smoke will come out of your engine as the carbon gets liquified and then burned..

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.