Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Looking for some input from the experts

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
ogsep22

posted 10/02/2013 02:59 PM  

So I want to hit the water tonight since I haven't been out in a while and I'm a beginner to intermediate surfcaster. My target tonight will be the Sore Thumb. Now, between work and family I have little to no time to scout during the daytime and I realize that's a big part of the sport. However, I'm looking for some general information on how to fish that particular location. I see that, according to the tide tables provided on this site, high tide is around 6:00 pm. I wanted to hit the tip of the thumb by the rocks. I'll be getting to my spot middle of the ebb so I'm assuming the water will be flowing east to west. Would this be a favorable situation for this location? I've heard that the outgoing produces better since most of the baitfish are being flushed out from the back bays. I'm a lure fisherman and was looking for advice on which one would be best suited for these conditions. Sorry to be so inquisitive but I'm trying to justify spending time away from my family and I'm constantly coming home empty handed. I'm pretty much self taught and have read numerous threads and literature on the sport but I'm just not seeing the results. I'm pretty confident that my setup and gear is legit but my confidence in using certain lures is a bit lacking. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe Smile

ogsep22

posted 10/02/2013 04:34 PM  

Also, if anyone is willing to PM me I'd be more than grateful. I was also thinking about making a stop at Demo to work the backside since I'm a little overwhelmed when it comes to the front side at night. Just not confident yet in my skill and knowledge of the area.

Thanks again,

eyefish

posted 10/02/2013 07:40 PM  

Weeds

Sorry for the late response you probably already experienced it. The problem with fishing that location close to the new moon and full moon is the weeds with the increase in tide elevation it not only flushes out the bait but also the weeds. I fished field 3 around 430 till 530 and there was quite a bit of weed there I can only imagine where you were. hopefully I'm wrong and it wasn't that bad. PS most experts won't give to much info. I'm no expert I just pay attention

Be kind to kind people and kinder to mean ones, it really pisses them off

likeitreallyis

posted 10/02/2013 07:43 PM  

it'll get better

haven't fished there in a few years though but we got time I think

look/fish for the shad

then you'll know things are shaping up

good luck

up

Green Grass and High Tides forever,,,

willyyoung

posted 10/02/2013 08:12 PM  

If you are ever in Montauk and want to fish with me, PM me and I will give you my cell phone.
At the thumb the current will not change for awhile after high tide east to west is best (out). Fall is a good time there, you will not catch every time but that is how you learn. Keep your eyes open to what others use and what is going on

Willie Young

ogsep22

posted 10/02/2013 11:13 PM  

There could only be one explanation..

I officially have been cursed with the permanent skunk. I fought with the weeds all night and got frustrated after about two hours of casting and removing mounds of vegetation. I want to thank the kind gentlemen who took the time to really provide me with some good information about the area I fished. Any other suggestions or guidance are always welcome.

Willy - I would love to take you up on that offer although being a bit of a newbie I'm somewhat apprehensive about fishing Montauk. That's like going from the Little Leagues to the Big Leagues right?? I'll PM you with my information.

JAYBASS

posted 10/02/2013 11:32 PM  

The weed in that area has been tough all year, especially on the outgoing. Best shots Ive had are around the top of the tide, but its been a few months. I haven't been on demo all year. Try early morning sunrise on the open beach with tins and poppers, til you get a good feel for plugs. Then switch to night time. Don't get wrapped up in that area. Explore some of the other front side beaches.

2009-13 DEADSTICK CHAMP, A-Team Hostage Crisis Unit, Lead Negotiator, LEAD INVESTIGATOR, INVESTIGATIVE DIVISION OF RAIBS

FIX NOREAST, GET RID OF THE POLITICAL THREAD...

willyyoung

posted 10/02/2013 11:33 PM  

You must make move sometime.I have taken some who have never caught a bass from the beach.

Willie

Willie Young

JAYBASS

posted 10/02/2013 11:38 PM  

LOL Go. I would. Just make sure you have Korkers. I made the trip for the second time last fall. Busted my A55, got soaked. Almost lost my keys. Found them in three feet of water next to "my rock" LOL, but I caught fish and had a blast. Its an experience. Wish I had the time to go every week. Few more weeks and Ill head out there again.

2009-13 DEADSTICK CHAMP, A-Team Hostage Crisis Unit, Lead Negotiator, LEAD INVESTIGATOR, INVESTIGATIVE DIVISION OF RAIBS

JAYBASS

posted 10/02/2013 11:44 PM  

willyyoung wrote:

You must make move sometime.I have taken some who have never caught a bass from the beach.

Willie

Thats a great chance at learning from one of the most experienced guys out there. Jump on it. I doubt you will regret it.

longcast

posted 10/03/2013 07:43 AM  

Do not be intimidated by Montauk. With an offer like that, get out there!!Smile

ogsep22

posted 10/03/2013 10:20 PM  

I'm all in for Montauk as long as someone is willing to lead the way. The offer is graciously accepted. See you out there soon enough Willy! Smile

GSBMark

posted 10/03/2013 10:35 PM  

Smart move ogsep22. Someone willing to take and show you, you go and listen. More importantly, you listen and watch him.

"Never argue with a fool. People might know which one he is."
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

willyyoung

posted 10/04/2013 07:54 AM  

We must do catch & release as some fish have been trained to be caught
This way I will not look bad.
Willie

Willie Young

ogsep22

posted 10/04/2013 08:44 AM  

I wouldn't have it any other way..I only practice catch and release. To me, that bent rod is all I desire.

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.