Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Mojo Musky Rods

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep
pjm66

posted 10/22/2013 05:16 PM  

I just broke my favorite all-around rod (Rogue SW 704C) and I'm in the market for a replacement. I used that rod for everything and I really am going to miss it. I'm looking for a factory stick along those same lines that I can use with up to 12 oz as a party boat ocean fluke and lighter bottom rod. St Croix doesn't make the PM 610MF any longer which gets rave reviews here and seems like the logical replacement. I was looking at the Mojo MM72MHF, does anyone have any experience with them? I'm open to suggestions, looking for something in the $150 range or so, if I have to spend more than that to get what I want I'll either go custom or pick up a Loomis Pro Blue. I will either us a Calcutta 401 CTE or an Avet SX on it, depending on what/how I am fishing.

Thanks

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep
Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 10/22/2013 06:56 PM  

If it were I, I'd just go with the Loomis Pro Blue. the PBR844 is a real nice piece, and has been for years.

On the other hand, had my PM610MF out with me on the FI jigging grounds last Sat. Mounting my Pluton 200H, this combo was more than up to the task. If you really want one, the big auction site has two listed right now . . . but you didn't hear it from me. Roll

FYI - I couldn't live with the short rear grip, so I had Capt. Neil extend mine 3" - all good now!

Lep

"Hi, my name is Pete and I have a fishing gear problem."

pjm66

posted 10/22/2013 08:15 PM  

Yeah, Plan B crossed my mind, I scoped them out a bit earlier. That said, do you (or any one else for that matter) have any feedback/intel on the Mojo's? I'm not a fan of the split grip but it's an SC ll blank like the PM610MF, run of the mill guides I'm sure. I presume this was intended to replace the light Premier. Looks like a decent rod for $140.

reelcranky

posted 10/22/2013 10:09 PM  

I think i heard J&H in oakdale was having a st croix blow out sale.

"Live by the tide, plan by the current, and follow the fish!"

DarthBaiter

posted 10/22/2013 10:25 PM  

pjm66 wrote:

Yeah, Plan B crossed my mind, I scoped them out a bit earlier. That said, do you (or any one else for that matter) have any feedback/intel on the Mojo's? I'm not a fan of the split grip but it's an SC ll blank like the PM610MF, run of the mill guides I'm sure. I presume this was intended to replace the light Premier. Looks like a decent rod for $140.

There's nothing like going to a B&T with a good selection of rods and pulling on them. up

*edit

Not trying to say the recommendations aren't good, cuz they are. I'd make a list of the rods recommended here and see which ones I can go and feel locally, is what I meant. upupup

Support your local Mom n Pop stores.

This post edited by DarthBaiter 09:12 AM 10/23/2013

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 10/22/2013 11:01 PM  

Absolutely right!

pjm66

posted 10/23/2013 02:10 PM  

I know exactly what you mean

I pulled on the Mojo Musky this weekend at Effinger's---seemed like a pretty good rod but I don't know anyone who has one. That's why I posted here, wanted to see if anyone had any first or second hand knowledge of how they fish.

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 10/23/2013 02:17 PM  

As an alternative that I CAN speak to, have you looked at the Seeker Blue Lightning 658 and 708? I have the 658 and its a really nice piece. One of my good buddies custom builds on the 708 blank and he's in love with them.

Either one would match up perfectly with the new Abu Toro NaCl.

Just sayin . . .

Lep

This post edited by Leprechaun 02:18 PM 10/23/2013

pjm66

posted 10/23/2013 03:32 PM  

I didn't know that a 708 would handle 12 oz. I have a Seeker BCSW 698 which was part of a limited run several years ago, I don't like using more than 8 oz with it. I assumed the 708 would be about the same and it never entered my mind to look at one---definitely will go pull on one now. Thanks.

howell1641

posted 10/23/2013 05:25 PM  

reelcranky wrote:

I think i heard J&H in oakdale was having a st croix blow out sale.

They are but on the Mojo Surf series and Legend salt spinning rods. I bought one last week they are salesman samples. I was bored one day went poking around for a 7' spining outfit for plugging on the moriches bar. Got the MOJO for $80 and matched it with a Quantum Smoke Inshore 40 spooled with 30lb Power pro super slick marina blue color. I was concerned that the rod wouldnt have enough power but the 1st hookup last Tuesday duing the Big Bass Blitz was a 39" 30lb fish that the rod had no problem with. I dont know the model # but its rated Medium Power, fast action, 8-17lb, 3/4oz - 2 oz lure weight. It hadled big ocean blues to 15lbs on suday also. Casts a27 and 37 jigs great. I love the rod and reel

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 10/23/2013 07:23 PM  

Nice! Many sell spinning gear short for heavier applications, which is a shame. But hey, it took me quite a while to even look at a spinner for fluking - and now a Stradic Ci4300 and Trevala S are my fav North Shore setup... so I'm as guilty as anyone else.

This post edited by Leprechaun 08:25 PM 10/23/2013

Wolfdog

posted 10/25/2013 09:40 AM  

Trevala all the way great rod light and powerful .

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 10/25/2013 10:00 AM  

pjm - I just re-read this thread - you want a rod that will handle up to 12oz? You are REALLY pushing it with a MH Musky rod, from any manufacturer. Like I said, I own a PM610MF and never have used 12oz on it, that I can recall, anyways. I suppose if you are just dropping it over the side and don't mind the stick bending way over, then a 12 is do-able. Not really ideal though. The Seekers I mentioned are not ideal candidates for that kind of weight either. You will need something with more stones than the rods under discussion on this thread . . .

seoneill

posted 10/25/2013 10:34 AM  

Hey there. I have the Seeker 658 and generaly use it the way you described. It's usally my dead-stick while ocean fluking, and just about the perfect near-shore seabass wreck and reef rod. I would say 4-8 ounces is really where it shines, but I have certainly put 10 and even 12 on it and it is DOABLE, but not ideal. I have a Seeker 659-H that you can fish 10 ounces all day with. You have to be into that "seeker" west coast bend to be into these rods though, not sure how your Rogue fished. Is it a stiff graphite kinda stick? Would be very different from the seekers.

I actually like the 658 for diamond jigging as well. A really good multi-purpose kinda rod. Near impossible to break, which is important for me as well as I am "rather rough" on my tackle.

Started fishing an inshore lite more and more for the blackfish this year and love that rod as well with an SX. Once again you can use a 10 on their but it is a bit much in my opinion. Much happier with a 6 or 8. I fish that rod with the newer SXJ and that ballances about perfect. Or oldschool with a Newel 220.

pjm66

posted 10/29/2013 11:25 AM  

Thanks for replies, sorry I haven't checked this in a while.

I have a Seeker 698 which is sort of an odd-ball factory stick that I really like a lot and use for up to 8 oz. The Rogue complemented it pretty well, it was a stiff graphite rod---similar to the PBR 844. It was a all around rod, good to 12 oz, light enough tip that I could fish porgies with it. I used it to drag bait on a party boat on days when the current was ripping and it was a pretty good light bottom rod for sea bass, ling etc. Too bad they don't make them anymore.

I probably should have phrased the question differently---"what do you like for heavy fluking and does it double well as a light bottom rod"

I did pull on a couple of the heavier Daiwa Saltiga jigging sticks---I may end up going that way. Not quite a "Seeker bend" but a lot softer then a straight graphite stick and it felt like they could handle 12 oz when I pulled on them. Prob wont blow up like my Rogue did either.

Discussion Boards > Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.