Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Why do bunker swim in circles?

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
Margrock

posted 03/03/2011 10:51 AM  

Not sure what made me just think of this, but I've seen it more than once, last summer I had a big school of them right in front of me, swimming slowly in a circle with their fins sticking up out of the water like little sharks Roll. I snagged a bunch (which led me to believe they can't be too smart cuz it didn't seem to deter them at all, they just kept swimming in a circle.Roll ). It didn't look like they were chasing any smaller bait fish, they were moving very slowly....then the blues came along and that was the end of them. surprise.

Any idea why they swim in circles? Confused

This post edited by Margrock 10:53 AM 03/03/2011

likeitreallyis

posted 03/03/2011 10:55 AM  

they group together and form "bait balls" when predators are around. When they are swimming like that something is spooking them.

Green Grass and High Tides forever,,,

Aquarius

posted 03/03/2011 10:57 AM  

Margrock wrote:

.......... Any idea why they swim in circles? Confused

Their compass is broken!

USCG Licensed Chief Engineer of Steam and Motor Vessels Unlimited Horsepower

Margrock

posted 03/03/2011 11:03 AM  

Aquarius wrote:

Margrock wrote:

Their compass is broken!

ToungueToungueToungue

Margrock

posted 03/03/2011 11:06 AM  

likeitreallyis wrote:

they group together and form "bait balls" when predators are around. When they are swimming like that something is spooking them.

Well they had every right to be spooked cuz not 3 minutes later the massacre began, I don't think one those dumb bunker got away. Roll

sparky1871

posted 03/03/2011 11:07 AM  

Found this cool video.

I don't look busy because I did it right the first time.

KGGAT3232

posted 03/03/2011 11:21 AM  

There reincarnated NASCAR drivers .

Catch Photo Release
Save The Menhaden

Margrock

posted 03/03/2011 11:28 AM  

Cool video. up

NASCAR Toungue you mean one of those dumb bunker might have been Dale? surprise

Seriously though, I just remember thinking, every time I've seen them do that, they really can't be too smart, I coulda snagged dozens of them, it didn't faze them in the least. Roll

chunkster

posted 03/03/2011 11:40 AM  

It's A bait ball.

Schools of small fish cruise near the ocean's surface, feeding on plankton and other organic foodstuff. This schooling behavior evolved as a means of protection. If a shark or other predator approaches, the group parts in unison - making it difficult for the invader to target any individual. As a result, this type of attack often fails. Group hunting changes the odds. In a baitball feeding frenzy, a hunting party may consist of bottlenose dolphins, silky sharks, yellowfin tuna, rainbow runners, wahoo, marlin, jacks and even booby birds. They work in a cooperative effort to ensure a feast for all. A typical main course features teeming schools of juvenile jacks and chubs. When a lone predator, usually a shark or dolphin, discovers one of these floating smorgasbords and attacks, a number of events are set into action. Frightened fish elicit a unique odor and other sharks in the area rush to the scene. The fleeing fish then intensify their frantic swimming patterns, alerting even more nearby predators. Now, each member of the murderous team begins to execute its role. The silky sharks and bottlenose dolphins, which are usually mortal enemies, start to surround the school. Gradually, they increase speed and narrow their path, trapping the fish in a tight ball against the surface. Next tuna and marlin rip through the center of the ball, further disorientating the confused prey. Many of the injured bait fish quickly tire and are easily eaten. A full-blown baitball feeding frenzy leaves few survivors. As predators become satiated, new enlistees arrive to continue the slaughter. Against the odds, small groups of baitfish may escape. They will continue to cruise pelagic waters, eating as much as they can as quickly as they can. Once again, the rule of the ocean is clear and simple: get as big as you can before you get eaten. For more information about diving Cocos Island, and possibly witnessing a baitball, click on the home page below. For general information about traveling to Costa Rica, click on the home page below.

New England clam chowder.
YEAH?
With mushrooms.
COME IN!

Margrock

posted 03/03/2011 11:56 AM  

Thanks for that excellent info. upup

The predators in this case were blues, (last time i saw it which was last summer), they got the bunker trapped right up against the beach (and right in front of me), and slaughtered em. I tossed Bill the Smiling Bucktail right into the middle of it and got a few nice blues. up

srfrat

posted 03/03/2011 12:09 PM  

We should feel honored,a boater coming to the surf forum for expert advice.up

Some of us never stop fishing....If it swims,its fair game...Its never too cold..

tiderunner70

posted 03/03/2011 12:14 PM  

Aquarius wrote:

Margrock wrote:

Their compass is broken!

up

Tom Farrell
Vice President - New York Coalition for Recreational Fishing
[email protected]

MSA
LIBBA

Margrock

posted 03/03/2011 12:16 PM  

srfrat wrote:

We should feel honored,a boater coming to the surf forum for expert advice.up

ReallyReallyReallyToungueToungueToungue

stpaul7
BIG DOG WINNER

posted 03/03/2011 01:02 PM  

Annihilation of the Bunker

BOAT FISH COUNT  MAMA MIA FISHING

denw72

posted 03/03/2011 01:15 PM  

def could be a bait ball but i have seen this in my canal when no predators were on them i think they are feeding on plankton and basically corralling the plankton and sucking them up.

Member of Kayak Fishing Association of New York
www.KFA-NY.org

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

Contact Us
Boat for Sale
Get Help Using the Site

� 2019 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.