Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

the running anti-posters posting thread

Page  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 04/29/2009 01:34 AM  

Ok boys and girls, here it is. I love to show off! Don't you? Well here's your chance. I love to fish, but I also love to hear the fishing stories also. So lay'em on me. Tell me what you used, what she felt like, and how you masterfully landed her, because nobody on this site would screw up the end game right Toungue. We are all so down with our big bad selves Toungue

Well here's the thread where you get to lighten up a little. Ooops, there is one condition surprise. Don't even think about mentioning where you nailed her, not even what shore it happened on. Just show us a picture and tell us story, thank you!

I'll go first.

Check out my weekly blog at Stripers247 View from the beach
Drive your car like your life depends on it.

This post edited by RichTrox 11:49 PM 04/29/2009

RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 04/29/2009 01:51 AM  

OOOhhhhh, OK I'll go first,....

Part of this is a re-post from bucktails spot-burning rant.

My observations are that the fish are about 1 set of tides behind where they were last year. I resist the idea of using strictly dates because tides do not correspond accurately from year to year, and it's tides that matter at this time of year, specifically the outgoing.

I have found fish in all the spots that I usually do, just not as many, and not as large as equivalent tides in previous years. My biggest so far this year is a paltry 31", then again, it is still April.

My last trip was Sunday night (technically Monday morning) and the pic below is from that catch of 6 fish in roughly an hour. Here is the re-post part.

Sunday night the bite didn't even get going until 2:00 am (technically Mon morn), at least where I was, and it didn't hold up. Died at 3:30. Spent the rest of the time chatting with noreast member Fishnlax7, a young man who among a few others I have had the pleasure of meeting in the last couple years, and typifies the future of our sport.

He rolls up around 2:30 am, sees I'm on the ridge, and opts to fish other nearby locales. On my walk out at around 3:30 am, he spots me and re-introduces himself. Turns out he attended the nfss seminars and that we have a mutual friend. We talk fishing until 4:00 am, on an absolutely beautiful April morning, at which point he mentions that he has to be in class at 9:45 am. Young guys take note. Nowadays anybody can Google talk the talk. Can you walk the walk?

In retrospect, I was ashamed of myself because I didn't make it into work until 11:30 am Frown. I'm becoming such a wuss in my old ageToungueToungue

Here is a pic of one of the fish I caught. They averaged around 27" and I'm not sure of the size of this one, probably average ToungueToungue

C'mon guys, show me yours. You catching teens, show me the money ToungueToungue

RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 04/29/2009 01:53 AM  

by the way,..................................

If you can recognize the grass, then you are welcome to the spot. And speaking of spots, if you think there are no "secret" spots left on LI, then you are living in the Internet Bubble World RollRollRollRoll

This post edited by RichTrox 01:56 AM 04/29/2009

RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 04/29/2009 01:58 AM  

ooops, my bad,.......

Forgot to mention, SS needlefish, blue and white, dark nights but olive and white would have killed also.

LeoDA

posted 04/29/2009 05:34 AM  

Bucktails pre-dawn. They were coming through,Shades
Bite shut down at first light.
Sorry cell phone photo.

This post edited by LeoDA 05:51 AM 04/29/2009

edvac

posted 04/29/2009 07:59 AM  

Almost a lawyer

This post edited by edvac 07:19 PM 04/29/2009

likeitreallyis

posted 04/29/2009 08:41 AM  

It's a secret. Toungue

Oh yeah sandworms and fresh clam.

Green Grass and High Tides forever,,,

This post edited by likeitreallyis 08:42 AM 04/29/2009

Tizod

posted 04/29/2009 10:15 AM  

I don't mind sharing my location because it is far from here.

Years ago when I lived in Chicago a co-worker was telling me stories about the salmon runs into the harbors that happen in the fall. As you might now, Lake Michigan is stocked with salmon and in the fall they come into the shallow harbors to spawn and die.

So I would listen to all these stories from my friend about how big the fish were and I was excited about getting out there and trying it.

Finally the time came and we went down to the harbor. My friend had told me that we needed to use salmon roe in order to catch them so the night before we spent hours wrapping roe into these little mesh bags. It was a pain in the butt.

So we are sitting at the end of this long pier with our heavier rigs baited with the bagged roe just waiting. I started getting bored so I took my light weight freshwater rod and tied on a crankbait to see if I could attract a bass or two.

Second cast...BAMN! Monster salmon. I must have spent over an hour fighting that sucker. It was big and I maybe had 8 pound test line on.

By this point I had attracted about 20 other guys all trying to "help" me get it in (such a pain) and I finally worked to over to the edge of the pier where a guy was waiting with a net. As soon as the net touched the fish it darted off and broke the line. ARGH!

I realized that I had tied on an orange colored lure (same color as the roe) so I tried it again (on my heavier rod) and got another. This time I got it in and it was easily over 3 feet in length!!

The next day we went and purchased every orange colored crankbait that Bass Pro Shops had in stock. We had a good run for about 2 weeks until one day we showed up and the harbor was full of dead fish. surprise

That is still one of my favorite fishing memories.

"Go **** yourself commie *******" - Noreast Republican Club

saltysurfman

posted 04/29/2009 11:02 AM  

One spot that I have been snapper fishing for many years has always had this one fish present that 3 or 4 times a night you would hear break the surface feeding. Once I started to fish plugs more frequently I would always bring whatever new plugs I bought up to this spot to see how they swam under the lights before bringing them to another spot to fish for the night. I also did this in hopes of being able to entice that fish to bite my new plugs since everything I already owned didn't work.

One really warm day last fall the fishing slowed down at on of my spots close to this one so I decided to kill some time waiting for the tide to turn and fish for shad since the shad had been in that spot everything I checked. I always keep a snapper rod in my car for when I fish around this area as a just in case. This night I caught a few really large shad on the first few casts and then all of a sudden the bite stopped. I continued to keep casting in hopes the bite picking up again. I heard the big splash from the unknown fish that frequently lurks the spot and realized that that could be why the bite slowed down so quickly. I continued to cast when all of a sudden as I was retreiving my 1/4 oz silver/blue Kastmaster the line starts peeling off my reel. For over an hour I was running around trying to gain line on this fish without wrapping around the docks that were just to my left. Finally I started making headway to getting line back on my reel after having my 4# test mono nearly spooled 3 times when I can see the fish swimming into me. This is nearly an hour and 30 mintues into the fight that I finally have help from a friend to land the fish. I didn't have a scale with me but I had caught a 39" bluefish that was measured on a ruler on the dock.

To make the night even more weird, the tide was almost completely slack low and on the very next cast after catching the 39" bluefish, I caught a 19" fluke.

Sorry for not having pictures but I didn't carry a camera around much last fall.

walleyeman
Noreast.com Club Member

Events, Seminars, & Tournaments
Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports

posted 04/29/2009 12:12 PM  

He most certainly is the Gear Guy! Toungue That was a great read Joe! up Nice fish!

LIBBA #1983
MSA #1982

This post edited by walleyeman 12:13 PM 04/29/2009

shredgit7

posted 04/29/2009 12:12 PM  

another one that got away

a few days ago i was at one of my newly discovered spots, fishing the ebb.. i had a slow pick going of schoolie bass on a storm shad/teaser setup. after about 40 minutes without a hit, i decided to do some more exploring and see what i could find. around 4 hours into my session (roughly 2am) i came to a nice point and decided it was worth a try. fished the shad for about half an hour for nothing. at this point i was considering leaving, but decided to throw on a small afterhours needlefish and work the deeper water. on my third cast, it felt like i snagged a rock, but i knew this couldnt be since the water i was fishing was roughly 15 ft deep, set the hook and the drag started screaming. with the little light i had, i could make out where my line was...heading right at a channel marker... CRAP!!! i tried tightening up my drag to stop the run but she wasnt having any of that.. when i felt my line rubbing on something, i backed way off the drag... she stopped her run.. i started gaining alittle line back and when i thought i was free of the obstruction, i tightened up the drag again. this was definatly the biggest fish i had ever caught and started thinking "maybe 30" (lbs not inches)... the fish decided to take one last run, down current... as i applied pressure all of the sudden things went slack... i started reeling as fast as i could to gain contact again, but she was gone.... the split ring on my plug pulled out and left me with a needlefish with only the tail hook remaining... suprisingly i was not dissappointed, i was thrilled.. best fight i have ever had and even though i couldnt bring her in, it made my night. after a couple 100 more casts trying to catch her again with nothing to show for it, i decided it was time to leave.. hit my bed at 5 am... god, i love to fish!

"I want to thank the good lord for making me a Yankee"
Proud Union member of the UBC
Empire State Carpenters

MatthewPaul
Noreast.com Club Member

Events, Seminars, & Tournaments
Surf Fishing Forum

posted 04/29/2009 12:18 PM  

BUMBS!

You're all bumbs I say, BUMBS! ToungueToungueToungue

LIBBA #1194

"I'll see you on the dark side of the moon."    ~"Brain Damage," Dark Side of the Moon, Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

"SOLVITUR AMBULANDO: It is solved by walking."  ~Saint Augustine

RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 04/29/2009 01:59 PM  

great stuff there guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

You definitely put a smile on my face over my morning coffee. Yeah, I know it's 1:55 pm, but during the season I frequently wind up drinking my "morning" coffee in the pm ToungueToungue

A good story and a nice fish there Hawk!

And Mrs. LIRI catching the makings of a fine meal up

Leoooooooo Wink

Keep'em coming Smile

FishnLax7

posted 04/29/2009 02:55 PM  

I like this thread!! Gotta love fish stories, there are also some that you have to hate, like the one I am about to tell that has been giving me nightmares all winter and I need to redeem this year!

So, it's time to set the scene. Third week of November this past year, and I had been chasing around some nice size fish for this set of tides throughout the week. I believe it was the Thursday but that week became such a blur its tough to distinguish one day from the next. So anyway the air temp is hovering around the high 20's and low 30's and the wind is moving out of the NE around 15 - 20, basically its COLD! It is real late Thursday night or early Friday morning, depending on your perspective of what 4:00 am is. As soon as I show up the tide has just turned and started coming in, and I am greeted by the beautiful sound of bunker breaking on the surface. The adrenaline is all that is keeping me going at this point as I have ran out of coffee and have been fishing since before midnight. Anyway, back to the bass, I begin doing what I always do... throwing a bucktailSmile! After a good 35 minutes of bunker bumping my line and fish wanting nothing to do with my bucktail and everything to do with the bunker present, I decided it is time to play dirty.....10/0 bunker snag! I proceed to snag myself up a fresh bunker and drop him back in the school and let him do the work. Well, apparently he didn't agree, and after 20 minutes of me sitting in free spool with visions of monster bass devouring this bunker and ending up in my hands racing through my mind, I realize they didn't want it this way. So, I reel in my bunker and throw him on the beach because I am not feeding these fish a bunker if it isn't attached to my rod! So I then snag another bunker, reel him in and re hook him. I then lob him out in hopes to keep him on the outside of the school, and he lands with a loud slap on the water. The initial shock from the landing kept the bunker at the very top of the water column. Being that it was now 5:15 in the morning and the sun is beginning to rise I can see the bunker in the clear clean cold November war. The 5:15 timing is also making me feel uncomfortable because I hate fishing during the day, and my car isn't exactly parked legally... So, I am beginning to get very antsy. As the thought begins to go through my head that maybe tonight is over and its time to get on the road runs through my head, it happens... A bass that I to this day have estimated at 40+ rolls up and devours my bunker which has stayed on the top of the water column on the outside of the school. My heart begins to race like I just received a shot of adrenaline straight to the heart. I wait, as I thought I should have Finger, and after a quick three count I reach to engage my Newell. However, less than a split second later I felt a pop that still resonates in my nightmares to this day. That is right, I waited just a split second too long to cross her eyes and bury the hook in my first fish over 40.......

It still hurts to this day ReallyReallyReally

But that is why this season is here........up

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum Page  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43  Next  
Jump to:  

Contact Us
Boat for Sale
Get Help Using the Site

� 2019 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.