Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

G Loomis MBR843 IMX vs MBR844 IMX for bucktailing fluke

Discussion Boards > Fishing Rods
YeahBuoy

posted 12/02/2013 06:34 AM  

I am interested in purchasing a rod for bucktailing fluke on the north shore and south shore flats. Two rods that I am interested in are the G Loomis MBR843 IMX and MBR844 IMX. Does anyone have experience using these rods in any application? Would appreciate some input on what size bucktails I can realistically use with each and the power they would have to pull up a decent fluke. Thanks.

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep
Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 12/02/2013 11:35 AM  

Good morning YB. I don't believe that you'll receive very many replies to your request, as these rods are not all that popular in this part of the world. Those are more FW large mouth bass-specific and Loomis has always marketed them that way. Not that they wouldn't work for our SW inshore needs, but for the asking price there are more popular choices out there.

In a factory stick I would think that the various St. Croix Legend series (the Tournament and Extreme lines would be more popular here on LI - and even these are few and far between).

If you want to look at some world-class "really nice stuff" for fluking, the CTS ES line is as high-end as anything else out there - with some very unique technology behind it. They were using pure graphite uni-directional fibers (glass scrim-free) and very hi-performance resins waaaay before most all of the other players.

In a U.S.-built blank (Like the Loomis and St. Croix's) the newest of the new are being built by Hydra. Very similar technology to the New Zealand-built CTS ES line, except considerably less expensive. My next rod will be a fluke jigger built on the new Hydra MB876 blank. Absolutely as nice a blank as I've seen, regardless of price.

Since you're asking about hi-end rods, I have to assume that you're familiar with the various FW Bass fishing internet boards that are out there. The chatter about these new Hydra blanks is just stunningly positive on those boards, with many, many posts speaking of guys selling off their other hi-end rods (Loomis, Duckett, Powell, ect . . )and replacing them with custom Hydras.

Our own Capt. Neil is the first custom builder in this area to bring in the Hydra line, as well as the first to get seriously up to speed with the CTS blanks as well, and he now has a bunch of both the CTS ES line and the Hydra MB's in stock for prospective evaluation.

Because you are shopping in the very high-end isle of the fishing rod world, I really would encourage you to look at these cutting-edge blanks prior to making a purchase.

Good Luck! Lep

"Hi, my name is Pete and I have a fishing gear problem."

This post edited by Leprechaun 11:39 AM 12/02/2013

Captneilf
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 12/02/2013 05:50 PM  

Hi Lep

Excellent response! Thank you!

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods  
The Long Islander Series
The MAXIMIZER Series

(631)567-8049

skatemaster

posted 12/02/2013 06:15 PM  

MBR783 was THE super fragile high end partyboat rod a decade ago. 844 was a broomstick in comparison.

Discussion Boards > Fishing Rods  
Jump to:  

2019 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.