Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Key West

Page  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Boards > Fishing Destinations
gailwins

posted 01/11/2007 03:27 PM  

Alright,

I will be with the family in Key West at the end of May. Can anyone suggest what type of fish I should target and the tackle I should bring. I assume I will only get to fish from the beach at night in the rain after a snowstorm while everyone els is asleep, so please keep this in mind.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

ihavegills

posted 01/12/2007 12:33 PM  

Tarpon, Tarpon and more Tarpon

I would check out the bridges with big topwater plugs like you were bass fishing the surf, but...... I would load up a 10ft with 65 braided and 80lb. flouro (8ft leader). Try some mullet patterned chuggers with rattles and I would also change up with some Long A 7" blue back 1 1/2 oz. Bombers. Get ready to loose a few and don't be shocked when you come back with part of your lure cracked or missing hooks! You can also bait it if you want to get messy. Get any fish you catch, grunt etc, cut it in half and hold on, never know what your gonna get. I watched a kid in Marathon do this with a 50 and 100 pound test one night off a peer and in 1/2 hour he had 2 mistery fish. First one burnt him on full drag and snapped. The next spooled him. This is after they sighted the biggest tarpon estimated 300# in the channel being eaten by one of the biggest hammers ever sighted.
I have also thrown the fly at night of peers with lights they bring the tarpon to your feet same as the bridges.

Night bite delight, keepin' the line tight!

Smelter
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Destinations

posted 01/12/2007 01:58 PM  

You can also wade the flats around Key West and cast a small surface popper for barracuda. Check out the partyboats if you want a few fillets for the table or if you can get away overnight, check out the Yankee Capts. on stock island.

fm

Skolmann

posted 01/12/2007 03:34 PM  

If you want to catch 'cuda one of the best baits is a 12" long surgial tube lure. Cast it out, burn it back & hang on.

Billfish

posted 01/12/2007 04:49 PM  

My brother told me he went with his kids at Fort Zachary state park and had a good time from the shore there, including putting fresh caught pinfish on a line and a bit later something took it and just ket going...

Smelter
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Destinations

posted 01/12/2007 06:22 PM  

Since you're with the family, offer to take them on a half day party boat trip. You won't go outside the reef so no one will get sick and you'll catch a variety of grunts, lanes, yellowtail and maybe even a keeper grouper. The fish will be small but are very good eating. Just head down to the marina and you'll see all the choices available. All are good.

fm

gailwins

posted 01/13/2007 12:16 AM  

Thanks for the ideas guys. I did contact a charter captain about a three hour tarpon/shark trip while I am down there. I will see how those discussions go.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

captnfox

posted 01/16/2007 06:23 PM  

key west

Fort Zach caught tarpon from the rocks -great fight!

Capt. Marc

posted 01/16/2007 11:20 PM  

Hi,

Hight on my list when I go back to Key West is to hit shrimp road (real name) on stock island. There is a retail fish store on the water where they sell key west pink shrimp. Best shrimp there is.

Marc

So Chief, I see ya got your rubbers.

fish4me

posted 01/17/2007 08:29 AM  

Fishing in the keys in May is a great time for Amber Jack, Mutton Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Grouper, Permit and Tarpon.

Billfish

posted 01/17/2007 08:38 AM  

Hey Capt Marc

I remember hearing about the shrimp rd place previously-probably in a post or thread on this site or fla sportsman.com and I heard it is good to stop there for live shrimp because it can be hard to come by once you are in Key West itself. Also, my brother told me when he was there last July the local B&T shops were generally not too helpful until he apparently found someone who told him to go to one of the local pubs (Conchy Joes maybe) for live shrimp and that was the ticket.

Bill

Smelter
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Destinations

posted 01/17/2007 08:44 AM  

There is a shrimp place right at the end of the dock where the Yankee Capts. is on Stock Island. I don't think they have live shrimp but it's hard not to buy the pink ones, especially jumbo's when you see them coming right off the boats.

fm

Billfish

posted 01/17/2007 08:47 AM  

Maybe I am mistaken about the livies, but it sounded like a place that was located just before actually getting onto Key West. Any additional info?

gailwins

posted 01/19/2007 10:38 AM  

Does anyone have any head boat or charter experience in Key West? Thanks in advance for any help.

Striper77

posted 01/19/2007 12:03 PM  

gailwins

There are tons of good boats. One I have used is Linda D. They have a web page. Third generation charter captains. There are also tons along the dock in Key West, Garrison Bight, and advertised all over. Fishing is so good there that you are pretty much guaranteed a great trip. I suggest you might try some of the smaller boats over in Garrison Bight and up by Stock Island. They are really flexible in what they go after. If you want offshore, go with the bigger boats, but the smaller boats are a ton of fun !

Discussion Boards > Fishing Destinations Page  1, 2, 3  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.