Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

VST Filter and Fuel Polishing

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler
Scuttlebut

posted 07/01/2013 02:27 PM  

After my VST filter clogged up the 2nd time in 4 days - while on vacation - it was suggested to me that I should have the fuel pumped and "polished"/filtered. VST filter and injectors were cleaned just before it bogged down again. This has been an ongoing problem but it seemed to have diminished the last couple of seasons. This year is a disaster. The next step is to replace the tank. Anyone have any recommendations for someone who will come to the boat and pump/filter the fuel? Any ballpark estimates on replacing the fuel tank? 23' Parker; 150 gallon tank; 200 Yamaha SaltWater Series. Thanks!

JesusBird

posted 07/01/2013 02:43 PM  

Run a 2 micron racor it works

DarthBaiter

posted 07/01/2013 06:41 PM  

I would think there already is a Yamaha fuel filter.
How does the filters look?

Support your local Mom n Pop stores.

JesusBird

posted 07/01/2013 08:45 PM  

Theres multiple filters on that motor each filter goes down in micron size from tank to injectors. Vst is a 2 micron , and is last in line from injectors except for a screen that sits above vst tank. Yamaha recommends a 10 micron water seperator. Are you sure your problem is coming from the tank itself? There is a lot of belief that the vst tank is the culprit, what happens is the gas boils off inside the vst causing a powder to form that clogs the vst filter amd possibly the injector screens. I have lived this issues since e10 came out. The 2 micron seems to help as does the use of a gas stabilizer 12 months a year. I now get a season out of a filter when there was times i got hours only. Some will say a 2 micron is to restrictive but that is BS! Racor sells a fuel guage you can install on head of water seperator to monitor flow.

This post edited by JesusBird 09:03 PM 07/01/2013

Scuttlebut

posted 07/02/2013 12:01 PM  

Thank you for the suggestions. I have been dealing with this for a long time as well. The last few seasons I was using E Zorb and Startron in the tank. I would have the VST filter cleaned in the Spring and make close to a full season before it clogged up. Last season I made it to just before the storm hit in late October. Filter clogged up on my last trip of the year. The grey powder sounds familiar. That is usually what I was seeing in the VST filter. Your comments re the VST tank being the source are very interesting. First time I heard that. The present problem seems to be different. The VST filter had a brownish coating - almost like a paste type coating. I fueled up the boat a few weeks ago at my local gas dock - Babylon area - and am concerned that maybe they have some issues with the fuel. Another gift left over from Sandy? I think the plan is to get the tank pumped, clean all the filters and go from there. If that does not work, I need to start looking into replacing the tank. Thanks again.

DarthBaiter

posted 07/02/2013 03:49 PM  

Scuttlebut wrote:

Thank you for the suggestions. I have been dealing with this for a long time as well. The last few seasons I was using E Zorb and Startron in the tank. I would have the VST filter cleaned in the Spring and make close to a full season before it clogged up. Last season I made it to just before the storm hit in late October. Filter clogged up on my last trip of the year. The grey powder sounds familiar. That is usually what I was seeing in the VST filter. Your comments re the VST tank being the source are very interesting. First time I heard that. The present problem seems to be different. The VST filter had a brownish coating - almost like a paste type coating. I fueled up the boat a few weeks ago at my local gas dock - Babylon area - and am concerned that maybe they have some issues with the fuel. Another gift left over from Sandy? I think the plan is to get the tank pumped, clean all the filters and go from there. If that does not work, I need to start looking into replacing the tank. Thanks again.

Get a 5gallon jerry can and a length of fuel line and run it from that and see what happens before you go spending money on polishing the fuel or cutting your deck to replace the tank.up

Support your local Mom n Pop stores.

pokey

posted 07/02/2013 04:22 PM  

As stated, there is a theory that the "powder" in the vst is, in fact, created there because it seems NOT to be found in the water separating filter but in the vst tank itself..so its probably not coming from the fuel tank. In response to this Yamaha came out with Ring Free PLUS which is supposed to help prevent that chemical reaction in the VST. No clue if it works...just putting it out there for you if you want to try it....good luck

pokey

"Anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron ....

bottomfishing22

posted 07/02/2013 08:53 PM  

It sounds like you might have an ethanol problem just had the same thong happen to me check your fuel water separator.take it of and pour some out and if you get a white milky substance its ethanol all I did was let it settle to the bottom because once it separates it does not mix back. Then pump the bottom of your tank change all your filters and then run all of the gas out of your tank. Oh and always make sure you use the ethanol treatment from here on out if you weren't already and my mechanic recommends you store your boat with an empty tank over the winter some people prefer full if you do make sure you stabilize it. Hope this helps.

Kazooty

posted 07/27/2013 01:23 AM  

What I have seen of the powder you mention in the VST. I was workin on a motor where the VST tank was pitted and the powder was the oxidized aluminum from the VST tank caused by the ethanol. Any time you see white powder in the fuel system it is caused by the corrosive ethanol dissolving the aluminum fuel system components. Same can happen in a carb bowl or your aluminum fuel tank. Once the pitting starts in the component it only gets progressively worse with time.The remedy is to junk the bad part and use an ethanol treatment in your fuel. The powder can clog filters if you get enough of it and dam are those motor filters expensive. I hope the motor mfgr. got wind and changed the metallurgy of their fuel components for the newer parts and engine models.

jawz12

posted 07/27/2013 07:57 AM  

fuel problems:

ethanol is absorbs water - if there's water entering the tank - it's gonna get ugly...

if this condition has been ongoing,odds are,you've got a problem in the tank.

common cause of this condition is no "o" ring on the fuel cap - another cause is the vent facing the wrong way

another cause is the fuel level sender gasket leaking,allowing water to enter the tank

parkers:
the tanks are foamed in place - there's deck plates above the tank - one wherethe hoses connect,one for the withdrawl/fuel level sender.DO NOT belive these are waterproof - the tank area will accumulate water.foam,soaked with seawater WILL cause corrosion

you're not stating the year of your boat -use this as a general guide line : aluminum fuel tanks,unprotected aluminum fuel tanks,in an installation such as your's - the expected life span of that tank is 10yrs...

find the cause of the contaminated fuel,and you'll have solved your problem.the problem isn't the fuel,it's the water entering the fuel...

ethanol will not cause oxidation - seawater in the fuel will cause oxidation - a galvanic reaction will alos occur - the float needle and seat,the seat is bronze,and the needle is aluminum,the seawater in the fuel will cause agalvanic reaction,siezing the float.whem the VST tank is eroded,this is a sign of seawater...

again: find the cause - solve the problem !

Polar21

posted 07/27/2013 09:27 AM  

"Polishing" is for diesel not really for gas

Bunker Bandit
Rich D

Scuttlebut

posted 08/01/2013 11:43 AM  

Thanks very much for the replies. Tank was pumped, filters cleaned and new gas loaded. Will run boat and see what happens.

Jawz - Thanks for your comments - very helpful. The boat is 2000. If in fact the tank is shot and needs to be replaced do you have any comments on how much $ that would cost? Deck would have to be cut, reglassed, etc. Any thoughts on where I could have that work done? Boat is in Babylon but I have a trailer if needed.

I have a sample of the fuel from the VST. Will try to post a photo. I am looking into getting it analyzed. If anyone has any recommendations on where I can get that done please let me know.

Thanks again to all.

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.