Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Responsible for your Wake?

Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Boards > General Fishing Forum
Fish220sr

posted 06/12/2010 10:58 PM  

Today, Saturday, a Northport 6 Pack charter boat heavily waked a small Aquasport in open water causing injury to one of the children aboard the Aquasport.The child had to go to the Hospital for a cut leg.
Even though there was probably no malicious intent,only idiocy, how responsible is the boat that waked the other boat?
This is a pattern it seems of this 6 Pack.The boat has reportly, on numerous occassions, blasted into an area to fish without much regard for the Anglers already fishing the area.surprise
Thank you for your opinion.

This post edited by Fish220sr 11:01 PM 06/12/2010

DarthBaiter

posted 06/12/2010 11:10 PM  

Hope the kid is doing well.

Was this reported to the CG?

Support your local Mom n Pop stores.

damfisher

posted 06/13/2010 12:28 AM  

Man have you ever touched a nerve with me! I've been fishing Northport Bay for over twenty years from small craft. I try to be safe, and take many precautions to stay that way. There is one factor which I can't predict or effectively plan for, that is getting swamped by a huge wake from one of those inconsiderate people! I am careful to stay away from the channels, especially the route from Northport harbor out past Sand City. The "sportsmen" driving their aqua-behemoths at high speeds pay no such attention to channels and blast close by me no matter where I happen to be. As I spring to negotiate the tsunamis due to hit me within a few short seconds, I always keep one eye on the offending craft to see if someone looks back to at least enjoy seeing the destructive power they have unleashed upon the insect in the kayak. NEVER! They are oblivious. In their own world. No reason to slow down or trouble yourself with avoiding someone else if no one else really matters I guess.
Luckily no one was killed this time. I'd like to think there won't be a next time, but....................................
Boat wakes are not a natural phenomenon. They are made by boats driven by people who are supposedly directing the speed and course of the craft. The person driving the boat is 100% responsible for whatever damage may be caused by them.

" Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul- then, I account it high time to get to the sea as soon as I can." -Herman Melville, Moby Dick

Miss Beryl Charters

posted 06/13/2010 09:28 AM  

Hope the kid is ok. Seems a visit to the charter boats dock is in order to talk.

www.missberyl.com

IN SEARCH OF BIG FREDDIE
Capt. Rick 516 359 6462
Sailing from Oceanside/Long Beach NY

twinscrew

posted 06/13/2010 11:54 AM  

Next thing you know you'll be telling the freighters in Ambrose Channel to slow down because their wake is to big. If you don't have an ocean going vessel you shouldn't be in the ocean.

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 06/13/2010 12:13 PM  

The operator is responsible for his wake, period. The firefighters in Ambrose channel will have to pay if they damage someone with their wake.

====MakoMike=====

Click here for The Makomania Sportfishing website

Makomania out

poorrichard

posted 06/13/2010 02:09 PM  

Wake Damage

As stated by Mako Mike: The operator is responsible for his wake.

This includes boats, PWC's ect. If your wake does damage or injures someone the boat operator is responsible.

Fish220sr

posted 06/13/2010 03:25 PM  

Thank you for your replys and info.Sooner or later this Capt. may learn his lesson.

pequa1

posted 06/13/2010 04:19 PM  

Anyone near Massapequa or Amityville see a 23 or 24 pilot house Parker in an off white blowing past all the 5mph signs and on the INSIDE of all the green buoys Saturday. I saw him at 11 and my buddy from his boat at 3PM, doing the same thing, throwing a wake that slapped everyone's bulkheads. But the best is the name on the stern SEL-FISH !

bringing home venison is now as easy as a bay-caught keeper fluke !

betwixt FI and JI

AxBeetle

posted 06/13/2010 08:02 PM  

Terrible tragedy, luckily the kid is OK.

FingerFingerFinger

I still don't know why you would put that sticker on the stop sign at walgreens???

SORTIE

posted 06/13/2010 09:20 PM  

In these cases, your best friend is a camera with a large enough lens to capture the name of the boat (and its reg numbers).

USCG and Bay Constables can work with pictures in a much more effective way than we can.

“The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."

NRA LIFETIME MEMBER

Sortino OUT

Musella

posted 06/13/2010 09:37 PM  

I would call the bay constables and the coast guard and tell them what happened. If you get nowhere, try the police. I wouldn't approach the capt directly. Let the law enforcement people take care of it.

If anything - they will watch for him and issue tickets if he doesn't slow down near other small boats.

Even if in the ocean, you are responsible for your wake. If you throw a huge wake, you need to slow down when you get close to small boats. Even if it is in rough water.

ronzo

posted 06/13/2010 09:44 PM  

While drifting the channels outside the 5mph zone you
are pretty much wake bait! It's up to you as Captain to be
alert to incoming boat wakes from all directions!
I just say " Incoming!" hold on! But this is why I hate fishing the bay
on weekends.

gcm25

posted 06/13/2010 10:01 PM  

He is responsible for his wake and because of the injury it is a boating accident. Call Suffolk county Police Marine bureau and file an accident report, notify your insurance company and inform them, you will get your medical expenses paid for.

JoeBfishing

posted 06/13/2010 10:18 PM  

And while on the subject of safety...

Please be sure your bait knive is not just sitting on the bait board while taking on a wake.
I've seen one fly clear across the boat gunnel to gunnel about 5 feet blade first that way!surprise

Discussion Boards > General Fishing Forum Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.