Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

ASMFC Summer Flounder, Scup and Black Sea Bass Board to Meet in September to Discuss Recreational Overages

Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Boards > Fisheries Management
MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 08/21/2009 05:22 PM  

The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission's Interstate Fisheries Management Program Policy Board directed the Summer Flounder, Scup, and Black Sea Bass Management Board (Board) to consider potential overages for all three species and take action prior to September 1. This directive was taken in response information presented to the Policy Board regarding available black sea bass preliminary recreational harvest estimates and projections indicating that harvest will likely result in significant quota overages. Board action could include emergency measures to prevent further overages in recreational fisheries for summer flounder, scup, and black sea bass. A press release will be issued following finalization of meeting arrangements.

====MakoMike=====

Click here for The Makomania Sportfishing website

Makomania out

sealaw

posted 08/26/2009 07:17 AM  

Mike,

Where did you get this info? Can you provide a link?

New Member of the "Downeaster" Society!

This post edited by sealaw 07:17 AM 08/26/2009

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 08/26/2009 08:58 AM  

It was part of the minutes of the summer meetings of the ASMFC. I probably got it from a press release, but I may have simply extrated it from the minutes. I may still have the source, but I may have dumped it. Either way it should be available on the ASMFC website. If I have a chance I'll go look for it.

====MakoMike=====

Makomania out

This post edited by MakoMike 08:58 AM 08/26/2009

DarthBaiter

posted 08/26/2009 09:20 AM  

So we can expect even smaller limits next year? Frown

Support your local Mom n Pop stores.

sealaw

posted 08/26/2009 11:15 AM  

DarthBaiter wrote:

Worse than that! We can expect complete SHUT-DOWN THIS YEAR. Possibly on all three(at least that's what I gather from the language).

sealaw

posted 08/26/2009 11:17 AM  

MakoMike wrote:

It was part of the minutes of the summer meetings of the ASMFC. I probably got it from a press release, but I may have simply extrated it from the minutes. I may still have the source, but I may have dumped it. Either way it should be available on the ASMFC website. If I have a chance I'll go look for it.

Mike,

I checked ASMFC press releases and found nothing relevant. Your post says a press release will be issued once the meeting is scheduled.(?)

captadamnj

posted 08/26/2009 11:36 AM  

It's not on the website, but it is real. 70% of this year's quota landed through the first 3 waves of landings (through the end of June). Emergency closure for the rest of 2009 very real possibility.

Capt. Adam
35' RP

HungryJack

posted 08/26/2009 11:48 AM  

Any data available for each species overage or potential overage at this point ?

CaptPaul
Noreast.com Club Member

Fisheries Management
Partyboat Fishing

posted 08/26/2009 12:05 PM  

They only have preliminary data for wave 3 (May/June). So all subsequent landings would be estimated.

I got the release, also, Phil. The source is on my laptop at home.

Paul

DarthBaiter

posted 08/26/2009 12:20 PM  

sealaw wrote:

DarthBaiter wrote:

Worse than that! We can expect complete SHUT-DOWN THIS YEAR. Possibly on all three(at least that's what I gather from the language).

That was what I was afraid to post... Frown Frown Frown

Support your local Mom n Pop stores.

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 08/26/2009 12:47 PM  

Phil, I found it, check your e-mail.

====MakoMike=====

Makomania out

HungryJack

posted 08/26/2009 01:27 PM  

CaptPaul wrote:

They only have preliminary data for wave 3 (May/June).

Was that the 70% adam mentioned ?

captadamnj

posted 08/26/2009 06:47 PM  

To the best of my knowledge, wave 1 and 2 data is pretty "good" at least in terms of being final, to their satisfaction, and wave 3 is preliminary. Add the 3 waves together (4 months of "final" data and 2 months of prelim data) and the rec. landings are at 70% of the rec. quota.

Capt. Adam
35' RP

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 08/27/2009 08:35 AM  

Here is the latest

ASMFC Summer Flounder, Scup and Black Sea Bass Board will meet September 1, 2009 to Discuss Recreational Overages

The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission's Summer Flounder, Scup and Black Sea Bass Board will meet September 1, 2009 at 10:30 a.m. to discuss recreational overages via a web-based conference call. The Commission's Interstate Fisheries Management Program Policy Board directed the Summer Flounder, Scup, and Black Sea Bass Management Board (Board) to consider potential overages for all three species and take action prior to September 1. This directive was taken in response information presented to the Policy Board regarding available black sea bass preliminary recreational harvest estimates and projections indicating that harvest will likely result in significant quota overages. Board action could include emergency measures to prevent further overages in recreational fisheries for summer flounder, scup, and black sea bass.

To join the call, please go to the ASMFC website upcoming meetings for instructions for the web and telephone portions of the call, http://www.asmfc.org/meetings.htm. For more information, please contact Robert Beal, ISFMP Director, at (202)289-6400 or <[email protected]>.

====MakoMike=====

Makomania out

sealaw

posted 08/27/2009 09:33 AM  

MakoMike wrote:

ASMFC Summer Flounder, Scup and Black Sea Bass Board will meet September 1, 2009 to Discuss Recreational Overages

The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission's Summer Flounder, Scup and Black Sea Bass Board will meet September 1, 2009 at 10:30 a.m. to discuss recreational overages via a web-based conference call. The Commission's Interstate Fisheries Management Program Policy Board directed the Summer Flounder, Scup, and Black Sea Bass Management Board (Board) to consider potential overages for all three species and take action prior to September 1. This directive was taken in response information presented to the Policy Board regarding available black sea bass preliminary recreational harvest estimates and projections indicating that harvest will likely result in significant quota overages. Board action could include emergency measures to prevent further overages in recreational fisheries for summer flounder, scup, and black sea bass.

To join the call, please go to the ASMFC website upcoming meetings for instructions for the web and telephone portions of the call, http://www.asmfc.org/meetings.htm. For more information, please contact Robert Beal, ISFMP Director, at (202)289-6400 or <[email protected]>.

Great info - thanks for the detective work, Mike.

Discussion Boards > Fisheries Management Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.