Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Horrific News for NY Fluke Anglers

Page  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Discussion Boards > General Fishing Forum
noreast
Noreast.com Club Member

Fisheries Management

posted 01/28/2009 11:30 AM  

Horrific News for NY Fluke Anglers,

According to my sources the NYSDEC has set their options for this years' fluke fishery. They are:

4-fish at 20.5 inches June 7 - July 31

4 fish at 20.5 inches July 19 - Sept. 7

4 Fish at 20.5 inches July 1 - August 15

2 Fish at 20.5 inches July 1 - August 22

4 fish at 21 inches July 1 - Aug 22

2 Fish at 21 inches July 4 - Sept 2

This is a devastating blow to both the recreational angler and the industry. We will be loosing as much as 50% of our season and it will be the final blow to many mom and pop shops and boats for hire that depend on this popular fishery.

History has proven that these numbers may change, but not by much.

It is nauseating.

Respectfully,
George R. Scocca,
Founder, Noreast.com

liJRtt

posted 01/28/2009 11:33 AM  

damnn wowwwwwwww that is awful. Miserable miserable miserable. So many options hmmmm which to choosedowndowndowndowndown

CANYONFISH

posted 01/28/2009 11:37 AM  

Absolutely getting ridiculous...... my opinion ...there will be more people disregarding limits and taking there chances ... but the industry guys .. party boats etc. .. will be severly hurt.down

Onemoredrift
Noreast.com Club Member

LI Sound Fishing
Posted Reports

posted 01/28/2009 12:11 PM  

You can say goodbye to the whole Captree fleet, half of the charter boats on Long Island, the few tackle shops that were left, marinas will be hanging on by a thread. Tackle and bait suppliers will take a big hit. Will be devestating to the industry.

I am all for conservation, but why can't they just give us a longer open season say May 15th to Sept 15. At least this way everyone can stay in business. Most of the fluke get thrown back, but at least it is fun and challenging to try and catch the bigger fluke.

I speak for the L.I. Sound area. Yes, we have alot of Porgy, Blue, Bass, Tog and Seabass in our waters that we are very fortunate to have. But bottom line everyone loves Fluking. It's one of the best ways to spend a summer day with the family, friends, kids, ect.

I have been Fluking my whole life. Not one season did I ever feel we were lacking Fluke. If I at all felt they were becoming endagered like Bass were many years ago, I would fully support the shut down of the season for them to regroup. But Fluke are plentiful, there is no need for this!

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 01/28/2009 12:14 PM  

There is another thread on this in the fisheries management section. In that thread there is also a link to the submissions by the other states. Also keep in mind that the proposals above do NOT comply with the technical committee's reccomendation that part of the shortened season should come from the period with the highest efforts. So this could get much worse.

====MakoMike=====

Click here for The Makomania Sportfishing website

Makomania out

steamboat1

posted 01/28/2009 12:50 PM  

What about:

* Total closure of winter flounder

* Blackfish closure May through Oct & then again in the middle of Dec till the middle of Jan

* 38% reduction to be figured in for this years porgies

* 1/2" increase on size limit for seabass

* Not to mention the proposed Salt Water Fishing License

Looks like anyone in NY who is in the fishing business to make money will be standing in the bread line shortly.

You really wanna cry. Check out NJ's proposed fluke regs for 2009.

Size Limit " Bag Limit Open Season

* 18.0.............8............June 6- Sept 7

* 18.0.............6............June 1- Sept 7

* 18.0.............4............May 31- Sept 7

* 18.0.............8............May 23- Sept 1

* 18.0.............6............May 23- Sept 4

* 18.0.............4............May 23- Sept 3

or if they really want to bite the bullet & go up a 1/2' in size

* 18.5.............8............May 9- Oct 4

Is it just me or is there something terribly wrong with this picture?

This post edited by steamboat1 01:42 PM 01/28/2009

BENNY

posted 01/28/2009 01:11 PM  

That's a late start for the fluke season! We will be missing out on some good spring fishing. How much bigger can the size limits go? Frown
Pretty soon we will be fishing for Halibut.

Captneilf
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 01/28/2009 01:27 PM  

Know what I find interesting?

How come there are no options of 3 fluke at 20 1/2"???? Would not that give us a longer season?

Interesting, almost every option is for 7 weeks.

Dropping from 4 to 2 fluke only equates to an extra week of fishing?

Civil disobedience is a moral option.

If I owned a boat I would be eating fluke on the water for dinner. Real fresh fluke!

My fathers bones must be rattling in his grave.

Yes, CHANGE is in the air! Funny, I can't find the transparency!

They are taking our right to fish away without a license, they are going to charge us for a license that is nothing more than a tax as we and the marine district get NOTHING in return and they have basically made it impossible for many folks to go fluke fishing.

But, our past Governor breaks the law, prostitution, damages the lives of his wife and family, AND goes FREE! What is wrong with all these happenings? I know but 70% of Americans do not or worse yet do not want to admit that they know as it affects them. God help us!

Neil

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods  
The Long Islander Series
The MAXIMIZER Series

(631)567-8049

kirk12

posted 01/28/2009 01:36 PM  

Enough!!!

What is the penalty for keeping a fish out of season?

Check out wwww.fishgaak.com

whitechin

posted 01/28/2009 01:49 PM  

All for civil disobedience in this case. Even Jersey's limits are no prize. I do alot of fishing off Cape May and the fluke season barely starts there until late Aug. Only time you would have good fishing is from mid Sept to late Oct in 100 plus feet. My fishing in Raritan Bay was horrible last year too. Three partyboat trips, 4 keepers, lots of 16 1/2"-17 1/2" throwbacks. Forced me to fish for deepwater ling with no size and bag limit and harbor blues for fun.

5 minutes for high sticking

reelfisher
Noreast.com Club Member

Posted Reports
Partyboat Fishing
Fisheries Management

posted 01/28/2009 01:51 PM  

Captneilf wrote:

How come there are no options of 3 fluke at 20 1/2"???? Would not that give us a longer season?

Interesting, almost every option is for 7 weeks.

Dropping from 4 to 2 fluke only equates to an extra week of fishing?

According to the statistics most anglers wont catch a single keeper @ 20.5 inches so the step down from 4 to 2 doesn't amount to much in terms of reducing the catch.

This is just disgustingdowndowndown

The antis ahve us right where they want usdown

"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and
since it's in English, thank a soldier."

kirk12

posted 01/28/2009 02:12 PM  

With our pending law suit does anyone know if the judge can stop this years regs until he/she hears our case?

Check out wwww.fishgaak.com

JollyRoger190

posted 01/28/2009 02:15 PM  

As most of you know I'm very much for preserving our fish stocks, and have ruffled a few feathers with my "preaching" for conservation.

Like OMD said, I'd back the quota, IF there was a shortage of Fluke. But from what I understand there isn't any shortage! Are they just trying to make us pay back for past wrongs?? Where we took to many in the past? If that's their reasoning then that's wrong. I personally like 4 fish at 18" a day. But I feel what ever needs to be done to preserve a fishes stock I'll do. BUT....if it's totally out of line, then I will support changing it. These guys I feel have really screwed up.

Practice Conservation...

BASSSURF

posted 01/28/2009 02:16 PM  

I think that ny has to have uniform or close to uniform regulations with neighboring states like nj and ct.
Also, a slot limit would be nice. Like 5 fish between 17 and 21 inches or something like that. If the size limit keeps increasing, we will be taking out all the fish that have the genes to grow huge.

Patrick F. McManus:  "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 01/28/2009 02:22 PM  

steamboat1 wrote:

You really wanna cry. Check out NJ's proposed fluke regs for 2009.

Size Limit " Bag Limit Open Season

* 18.0.............8............June 6- Sept 7

* 18.0.............6............June 1- Sept 7

* 18.0.............4............May 31- Sept 7

* 18.0.............8............May 23- Sept 1

* 18.0.............6............May 23- Sept 4

* 18.0.............4............May 23- Sept 3

or if they really want to bite the bullet & go up a 1/2' in size

* 18.5.............8............May 9- Oct 4

Is it just me or is there something terribly wrong with this picture?

IMHO it just you. NY and RI have mismanaged their fluke quotas for years and years, NJ and MA have managed their fluke quotas well (both have similar proposals on the table)over that same period. We are now reaping what we have sown.

====MakoMike=====

Click here for The Makomania Sportfishing website

Makomania out

Discussion Boards > General Fishing Forum Page  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.