Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Little help needed

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
KGGAT3232

posted 03/15/2012 08:47 PM  

I'm in the market for a Boga 260 , rod rackand and surf belt. My question about the boga is ,since I'm going to be paying a pretty penny for a scale/lip grip what is a trust worthy lanyard to use . Something that will hold up to rough conditions and salt water. Witch brings me to my ? about surf belts. I'm looking into the ultimate surf belt . It looked and felt durable and I kind of like the velcro back up if it opens. Does anyone have any experience with them. Finally a rod rack. I was going to have one made custom but my welder is a crook and was talking up to $450 for a 6 rod and cooler rack. I don't mind spending money for quality but he himself admitted being new to welding. I don't want to be his ginnie pig. Plus since I spent my allowence on other items I'm kind of low budgeted in this area I could use a little help. I can look up racks all day but nothing helps more then experience. All advice/help/tips are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Catch Photo Release
Save The Menhaden

kwikstick

posted 03/15/2012 09:07 PM  

save some cash on the boga up

there are alot of cheap boga type grips out there,bass pro has one for about $20 and it still works fine for me after several years..check it out...gl

yunvfrank

posted 03/15/2012 09:12 PM  

Sounds like your in the market for a cooler rod rack, those can be a bit expensive...if your just looking for a roof rod rack those are cheaper and in most cases you can save some money by building one yourself, I did and spent rough about $30 total to build my own by buying some supply at home depot. If you want more detailed pointer PM me. Take a look on craigslist might find a cooler rack on there, seen one before for about 150 once.

http://longisland.craigslist.org/pts/2797951177.html
That's the link to a cooler rack, located in lindenhurst, LI

In Apple We Trust.
Instagram name: fishinguy81 look me up and follow.
Is there anything better then fishing? DOUBT IT!

This post edited by yunvfrank 09:21 PM 03/15/2012

Hunt n' Fish
Noreast.com Club Member

Boating Angler
General Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
Hunting

posted 03/15/2012 10:48 PM  

KGGAT3232 wrote:

My question about the boga is ,since I'm going to be paying a pretty penny for a scale/lip grip what is a trust worthy lanyard to use . Something that will hold up to rough conditions and salt water.

Here is a cheap, strong lanyard I made from cell phone charger cords.

President, RAIBS
Recreational Anglers against Internet BS

RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 03/15/2012 11:21 PM  

Made mine out of an old phone cord. Hasn't failed me yet.

Check out my weekly blog at Stripers247 View from the beach
Drive your car like your life depends on it.

Maybe_Tonight

posted 03/15/2012 11:35 PM  

RichTrox wrote:

upupup

Yea man!! When my brother and I were kids out with Dad, it seemed every other guy had the short gaff hanging on his belt with a phone cord attached!!!! Smile Smile

Does Van Staal make phone cords ??? surprisesurprisesurprisesurprisesurprise

tman1

posted 03/16/2012 07:47 AM  

Back in the day I used to carry a gaff with that old phone cord- it worked well. Now I make those type of lanyards out of cell phone charge cords (for pliers etc).

For the racks - go with someone with experience. Roof Racks- the Surfcaster model is a great off the shelf unit.

Good luck!

f150OffRoad

posted 03/16/2012 08:54 AM  

I heard that last year someone got into a bad accident having a rod rack in the front, and now he is being sued and one of the main suit angles is for vision abstraction.

Assuming you drive an SUV, and not a truck, you may want to consider a roof rack and place a heavy duty rubber mat in the back for your cooler, assuming space is not an issue.

Save the Seals
they make the Perfect Pets

saltysurfman

posted 03/16/2012 10:29 AM  

I really like Dragon Tails lanyards. They are rated for I believe up to 200# and always seem to coil back up nicely after being stretched. I have been using these on my pliers, landing grip (I use a Lipper), dive knife, and camera for the last few seasons and they have really held up nicely.

For the rod rack, I would recommend having both the rooftop rod rack for transporting the rods to and from the beach and then if you are dead-set on a cooler rack, have the rod holders attached. I have used a rooftop ski rack made by Thule since 2008 and it has really held up nicely. It locks the rods down securely and you can lock it to deter theft. These are not 100% safe though, just more of a deterrent. I am currently in the process of a redesign on my buggy and I am making my own cooler rack with rod holders and possibly a more secure rooftop rack as well. These items are all about personal preference and there are a whole ton of rooftop options to explore. The cooler racks are going to cost you though. I believe Vezco charges over $800 to have a rack made.

RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 03/16/2012 11:54 AM  

Maybe_Tonight wrote:

Does Van Staal make phone cords ???

LOL, before cordless phones, my wife used to buy a new phone every 6 months, so I have a ready collection of old handset cords.

For those looking, Radio Shack might have'em.

Or check your attic.Wink

Check out my weekly blog at Stripers247 View from the beach
Drive your car like your life depends on it.

WESurf

posted 03/16/2012 01:21 PM  

If you buy phone cord from Ace or HD/Lowes buy the 25' cord and cut to a length optimal for your placement and reach. You will have plenty left for other tools.

chunkster

posted 03/17/2012 08:45 AM  

I am taking your question and answering from the ground up.

Your SUV will either have A gutter or A rail, If it doesn't
than go to your dealer and have one installed. Now you need
A load bar that you can mount to your rail or gutter. They'll
be attached with A rail mount or gutter mount. Last but not
least is the ski rack that comes with the attachment mount
to your load bar. I'd say A majority of the SUV's come from
the dealer with A rail and load bar. From there the only
thing you'll need to do is attach the ski rack. SIMPLE !!!! Smile

If you want A cooler rack. A guy who owns A welding machine
only is NOT the right guy to build it for you. You will
need A machinist. A guy with A machine shop. GOOD LUCK !!!! Smile

New England clam chowder.
YEAH?
With mushrooms.
COME IN!

KGGAT3232

posted 03/17/2012 01:53 PM  

Thanks for the help boys. I can't believe I didn't think of phone cord. I have some of my moms stuff stored in my attic and I know for sure she has a ton of it. As,for the Boga I figure it will be a once in a,life time purchase . They pretty much last forever might as well take the blow and move on to the next thing that I'll rarely use Smile. F150 its funny you said that cause that is the cooler/rod rack I wanted. I'm a little sketchy about my setup on the roof so I figured best place would be in front were I could see it at all times. But I also remember a $h!tty situation that happened to someone last year cause someone didn't fill in there hole after digging themselves out and wrecked there rack and VS . Thanks chunk I wish I knew that before I asked my buddy. REELYDEELY , Happy St Patricks day to you to and everyone else .

Catch Photo Release
Save The Menhaden

willyyoung

posted 03/17/2012 06:53 PM  

Maybe_Tonight wrote:

RichTrox wrote:

upupup

Yea man!! When my brother and I were kids out with Dad, it seemed every other guy had the short gaff hanging on his belt with a phone cord attached!!!! Smile Smile

Does Van Staal make phone cords ??? surprisesurprisesurprisesurprisesurprise

Still got mine.
Willie

Willie Young

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2022 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.