Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Carb/Fuel tank issues

Page  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler
AllyKat

posted 07/22/2013 01:48 PM  

I've been having ongoing problems the last two season with the AllyKat, and the problem reared its ugly head again yesterday.

The AllyKat has a 2003 Merc 4.3 I/O 2V carb. She has been trouble free up until last year when she ran rough, and soon did not want to idle, with lots of backfiring through the carb. Had the carb rebuilt, and found alot of yellowish corn meal looking residue inside of it. Cleaned out and my troubles went away until this season. Early on she ran ok but soon the trouble started again. Had the carb rebuilt again and was told the low speed jet was clogged. Ran well for one trip, and again the low rpm issue began.

Bought a new carb figuring all the backfiring damaged the carb considering that was a clicking sound coming from the old carb. New carb..no problems...smooth, starts right up, idles well, full throttle...wonderful. A half dozen trips under its belt until yesterday. No problems in the beginning, but after running in some rough waves with the east wind and suddenly she lost alittle power and the problems are back. Rough idle, does want to stay alive at low rpms in gear. Back at the house, she doesn't want to run out of gear in idle. I have been using Stabil marine formula the last 2 years, and I added 10 gallons of 93 octane to the tank before this last trip.

SOOOOOO

Is this the dreaded fiberglass/ethanol issue I've heard about. Is it water in my gas tank. Is the tank delaminating and clogging up the carb. Should I drain the tank and fill it with fresh gas, or am I also looking at a new aluminum tank which means cutting a hole on the deck to take out the old tank.

Vosky Precision Machining ISO9001/AS9100 Certified
Voskyprecision.com

DarthBaiter

posted 07/22/2013 02:38 PM  

Try running on an external tank before you make rash decisions.
Check you fuel line too.

What did the carb look like on the second rebuild? Fouled up?

Support your local Mom n Pop stores.

AllyKat

posted 07/22/2013 02:57 PM  

DarthBaiter wrote:

Try running on an external tank before you make rash decisions.
Check you fuel line too.

What did the carb look like on the second rebuild? Fouled up?

Fuel lines were new last year.

Carb had alot less of the corn meal crap, but it was there again.

Was told the jets were gummed up.

I'm going to let it sit another day, and then try and start it up and run it for a while. Maybe the gas needs to settle so I can get a clue.Confused

Voskyprecision.com

Koz54

posted 07/22/2013 03:39 PM  

Sounds like something is contaminating the gas tank. Like Darth said, try running it with an external tank with fresh gas.

I had that issue a few years ago. Had to replace the below deck aluminum tank. (it oxidized and fine yellowish particles were causing similar issues as yours)

If you need a loaner tank I have an 18 gallon one that I used when I had my issues. Actually I had two, sold one to Skip Wink

Like you my issues arouse during the summer and I 'made do' with the external tanks for the rest of the season.

Good luck Drew, let me know if you need the tank.

~Piker MacGyver, Noreast Piker ~ Never left

This post edited by Koz54 03:41 PM 07/22/2013

AllyKat

posted 07/22/2013 04:20 PM  

Koz54 wrote:

Sounds like something is contaminating the gas tank. Like Darth said, try running it with an external tank with fresh gas.

I had that issue a few years ago. Had to replace the below deck aluminum tank. (it oxidized and fine yellowish particles were causing similar issues as yours)

If you need a loaner tank I have an 18 gallon one that I used when I had my issues. Actually I had two, sold one to Skip Wink

Like you my issues arouse during the summer and I 'made do' with the external tanks for the rest of the season.

Good luck Drew, let me know if you need the tank.

Thanks Pal, I just might.

Our boats are set up almost the same, except I have an I/O.

Where did you keep the external tank?

Maybe if its the tank that is the problem, I can salvage the rest of the season (including blackfish:tuSmile and take everything apart over the winter.

Voskyprecision.com

Koz54

posted 07/22/2013 04:29 PM  

AllyKat wrote:

Thanks Pal, I just might.

Our boats are set up almost the same, except I have an I/O.

Where did you keep the external tank?

Maybe if its the tank that is the problem, I can salvage the rest of the season (including blackfish:tuSmile and take everything apart over the winter.

I used to keep them under the seats. I put louvers in the side panels. I removed those seats last spring. Ironically the first time they've been back in in almost two years was yesterday. My bride came out for a ride. It takes about 10 minutes to convert back and forth Wink

I'll measure the tank when I get home and send you the dimensions.

~Piker MacGyver, Noreast Piker ~ Never left

andylrd

posted 07/22/2013 05:46 PM  

fuel issue

I assume that you have fuel filters between the tank and the carb. Are the filters getting clogged? Do you see any water in the filter? Can you change the filters to keep the cornmeal from getting to the carb?

Andy
on the Jiggs and Barbara

Mungo

posted 07/22/2013 06:12 PM  

Try the external tank and see if your problems go away . Do you have a fuel / water separator (racor only way to go)? Have you changed it and do you drain it (if able to)weekly? If the fuel tank in your boat is fiberglass it very well could be the tank breaking down and delamination due to ethanol . If you have an aluminum tank it could be oxidation .You said you have new fuel lines so you can rule out the fuel lines breaking down.
I have found pretty much the same stuff in the bottom of my water separator and found if its drained out weekly there are no related problems . I also change the filter element 2-3 times a season depending on the hours of use .
The other thing I swear by and use instead of stabil for an additive is PRI-G .Switched to it 6 years ago and have not had a fuel related problem since.
We all better pray they don't get the approval for e85 fuel.

If it dont pump blood or oil  I aint playing!

AllyKat

posted 07/22/2013 06:21 PM  

There is a 10 micron water seperating/fuel filter just before the fuel pump. It's a standard filter..looks like an oil filter. There is also the small filter just before the carb inside the fuel line. They never seem to be clogged or have any residue on them. It I can figure out the issue, you can bet I will be installing the Racor drainage type.

Voskyprecision.com

DarthBaiter

posted 07/22/2013 06:31 PM  

Are you sure you have a fiberglass tank?

Support your local Mom n Pop stores.

captjoekingcod

posted 07/22/2013 06:41 PM  

My bet is on water in the fuel....
Drain your filters into a clear glass container and look for separation....Let the fuel from the filters settle for a few minutes in the container. If your tank is contaminated, you will clearly see a distinct separation of the fuel and water. water delivered to the carb, will without a doubt cause severe back firing.

Capt. Joe KING COD
Home 631-475-1060
Cell 631-605-1404
www.kingcodfishing.com

MACKS

posted 07/22/2013 06:46 PM  

Just a thought,where do you buy your gas,same place all the time or do you buy from different locations.

AllyKat

posted 07/22/2013 06:59 PM  

Red Fiberglass tank.

The AllyKat is on a trailer, so I never buy gas on the water.

I usually buy from the same place, and its always 93 octane.

I did check out the gas in a glass container last year...it did not seperate, but it was very yellow in color. When I do work on it, that will be the first thing I do.

Voskyprecision.com

AllyKat

posted 07/24/2013 09:10 PM  

Correction...yellow fiberglass tankRoll

Ran it today after work, hoping that letting gas settle would help. Started right up, but soon enough, it wanted to stumble and lose rpms and die. Very sluggish with the throttle. Got it running steady at 2000 rpm, and covered the carb a little...she instantly picked up rpms and ran smoother, uncovered it and it wanted to die off. Finally got it to idle..rough..again, covering the carb made it run better, but it would soon stall.

It will idle rough, and it takes feathering the throttle to get the rpms up obviously, it's. not right. I'm hoping nothing is clogging the carb where it needs a rebuild considering its a month old. The entire time I can smell unburned gas, kind of like an old untuned car.

Trailering it back to my shop in the am, and next up is getting the gas out of the tank.

Going to see if there is phase separation.

Once the tank is clean and dry, put some fresh gas in and keep my fingers crossed.

Voskyprecision.com

trafik

posted 07/24/2013 11:31 PM  

You have yellow gunk in your carbs and a yellow fiberglas tank. Coincidence?
Rather than ripping the tank out can you insert a bladder? Maybe you wont have to remove it entirely

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler Page  1, 2, 3  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.