Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

First fall run!

Page  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
ogsep22

posted 09/17/2012 10:40 AM  

This will be my first crack at the fall stripes so I pose this question; which basic lures would you recommend as a beginner? I already realize that bucktails are pretty much an essential but can anyone suggest some versatile, quality lures that could produce in a variety of conditions? I'm hearing good things about Super Strike plugs and Bass Assassin plastics but I hope the seasoned gents can provide some additional tips. As always the information is more than appreciated.

chunkster

posted 09/17/2012 11:15 AM  

My recommendation to you at the stage that your
at would be A all purpose type lure. Something
that'll work in all different conditions and applications
and from here you can build confidence. Then you
can start fine tuning your lures to your quarry.

I hope this helps. Smile

New England clam chowder.
YEAH?
With mushrooms.
COME IN!

RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 09/17/2012 11:18 AM  

In addition to the aforementioned bucktail, we can finish off the "b's" with bombers and SS bottle plugs. These are fairly standard plugs that don't take any special skills to fish. Bombers don't cast well into a head wind, but SS bottle plugs do. Also, bottle plugs dig better in the surf than bombers do, so you may want to consider using Bombers for bay use and calm beach condition and the bottle plugs for "average" open beach type conditions. If you are fishing days, then yellow is fine for color. Blue/white can't hurt you either and is good when fishing nights.

When fishing the ocean, Bombers are a light plug and require a bit of getting used to in order to "feel" the plug working properly. A bottle plug is a little easier to work with initially because it casts well, digs in well, and you'll be able to feel it working under a variety of conditions. It is much easier to stay in contact with than a bomber in typical ocean conditions. If the ocean is calm, no reason not to throw a bomber also.

Also, for day use add a few tins to your plug bag. The A17's with tube tails are an old standard. A large crocodile spoon is another good one to have along with a few deadly dicks. You absolutely have to swap the hooks out on the deadly dicks as they are horrible out of the package. Throw in a couple rubber peanut imitations (like Storm, Calcutta, Tsunami) and you'll have a fairly versatile arsenal right there.

Don't make yourself crazy with colors and variations, just learn how to find fish and work a couple plugs well and you'll start to catch fish more consistently. Presentation is key as fish don't care about plug manufacturers, they only care whether or not it looks like something it should eat.

Check out my weekly blog at Stripers247 View from the beach
Drive your car like your life depends on it.

This post edited by RichTrox 11:20 AM 09/17/2012

CANYONFISH

posted 09/17/2012 11:22 AM  

SuperStrikes are excellent.....

Also for the fall I like to have some metal Ava 27 green yellow and red tail.... Deadly Dick, Crock spoons..... they all cast well in any wind condition and are versatile to mant fishing conditions...

Also some vision rubber eels are essential if the sand eels are present.

Couple of Bombers, and pencil poppers .... good to go ....

Have fun ... Good Luck!

CANYONFISH

posted 09/17/2012 11:23 AM  

Sorry .. Rich beat me to it and has much better detail!Toungue

SurfaceStrike

posted 09/17/2012 12:32 PM  

Hint

What is the color of 90% of most fish bellies?

That is why God gave them tails Wink

striperguy5

posted 09/17/2012 07:04 PM  

Bombers Chicken scrach, Black or green SS Bottleneck Swimmers and Darters same colors A17 red green white tubes ,Bucktails and lead heads with various wieghts and rubbers and storm shads or tsunami shads and Eels imitations.Go Gettem Smile

Plumber60

posted 09/17/2012 07:09 PM  

The answer to your question is:

Read What Mr. Trox wrote,, and then read it again, and again. Then go to your local shop. I've never understood the fear of most guys to fish the lowly buck tail while they are starting out. When I was starting out it was the only plug I could afford!

the3fishheads

posted 09/17/2012 09:13 PM  

The bucktail and pork rind combo has taken many cow size bass over the years. I prefer mine in Uppermans style in white on white worked slowly just off the bottom with the occasional bounce.....up

Gone fishin

ogsep22

posted 09/17/2012 10:03 PM  

I'm not hesitant to use bucktails, just want some suggestions on other lures. I don't like being a one-trick pony and I want to be a well-rounded angler who can adjust to any situation. Plus the excitement of using a plug or top water popper and feeling that strike is second to none.

srfrat

posted 09/18/2012 07:59 AM  

Right now @ the stage of the game your @,your better off being a 1 trick pony.lol dont get carried away with how many plugs you need.learn bait migration.in the fall you will have certain baits that you wont see in the spring.stay away from bucktails @ first,they will make you frustrated.lol

Some of us never stop fishing....If it swims,its fair game...Its never too cold..

StnkyFingers

posted 09/18/2012 10:45 AM  

Being well rounded will only come with time
And with each passing year you will think your
The shiz untill the next year when you learn something
New and look back and say wow look at me now
Then 20 years go by and your still figuring stuff
Out . If your a family man be carefull with this addiction
It can be dangerous lol !!

This is a tiny town,and we don't want you coming around

ogsep22

posted 09/18/2012 11:05 AM  

I think the addiction is already settling in and I haven't even started out yet! I've been so anxious to just take what I've learned so far and apply it to the real thing. I know I'm going to be frustrated quite often and maybe even discouraged from the sport but my passion for fishing is relentless. My greatest anticipation is finally landing that coveted first Striper and quieting all of my critics who doubt my ability. Toungue

pequa1

posted 09/18/2012 01:27 PM  

A word of caution after noticing your avatar: you may not see another game until mid-December...

bringing home venison is now as easy as a bay-caught keeper fluke !

betwixt FI and JI

striperguy5

posted 09/18/2012 01:28 PM  

Now its time to just get out there and apply all the knowlege you have learned.

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum Page  1, 2, 3  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.