Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Shibuki /Brabus lure for tuna

Discussion Boards > Jigging and Popping
KILSONG
Noreast.com Club Member

Jigging and Popping

posted 10/08/2009 06:46 PM  

I believe the first guy who used Shibuki for tuna is Sami of the Anglers Proshop on my charter out of LA in 2007. I had a Shibuki on the trip, but I didn't use it as I was not quiet sure the lure would work for yft. Now, Shibuki becomes one of the most popular lures for yellowfin in Gulf of Mexico and bluefin in Cape Cod.

I found Shibuki is also excellent trolling lure last fall as I got several nice bluefin while trolling shibuki.

Souls' Brabus lures are exactly same as Shibuki except weight.
Sato, owner of Souls is a field tesster of Tackle House which makes Shibuki, upgraded Shibuki by adding more weight to cast farther and sell them as Brabus. (Brabus also has floating model).

I was wondering the added weight of Shibuki might affect the action of the lure, but guys who are using Brabus don't think so.

I found the long jerking technique works best for Shibuki. I sometimes let it sit for a while before jerking again. I even got hit while Shubuki sinks (Shibuki are sinking model, but Brabus makes floating model).

This post edited by KILSONG 07:50 PM 10/08/2009

gadoug

posted 10/08/2009 11:59 PM  

Kil

There my #1 go to lure for Yf in the Gulf. I have caught everything of of them in the gulf; even caught a freshwater bass in a local lake on the smaller one.

Doug

This post edited by gadoug 12:00 AM 10/09/2009

JASONSWWO

posted 10/09/2009 07:15 AM  

Kil- I have a question about the Shibuki 186 MS, what type hook are you using on this? I am assuming that it's the Owner treble but what size? I was thinking of trying one with 1 big Owner on the rear and thats it? What are your thoughts about no belly hook? Or what are your thoughts on a large single hook like the Braid Speedies come with?

Googin/Walkingontime
Proud Member of Whitewater Outfitters Pro Staff
and Product developement team!!!
Whitewater outfitters
Hampton Bays.

gadoug

posted 10/09/2009 04:49 PM  

JASONSWWO wrote:

Kil- I have a question about the Shibuki 186 MS, what type hook are you using on this? I am assuming that it's the Owner treble but what size? I was thinking of trying one with 1 big Owner on the rear and thats it? What are your thoughts about no belly hook? Or what are your thoughts on a large single hook like the Braid Speedies come with?

Singles work if you looking to release fish or encountering larger ones that require hooks stronger than owner ST-66. The 186 has the best action with 3/0 ST-66 treble hooks. You can put 5/0 on them but you lose some action

Doug

JonesBros

posted 10/09/2009 06:49 PM  

Better luck with the lip or without?

"You never know what's coming your way"

KILSONG
Noreast.com Club Member

Jigging and Popping

posted 10/10/2009 12:46 PM  

As Doug said, I like Owner ST66 3/0 for 186 mm Shibuki.
Some prefer ST76 3/0 0r 4/0 as there are a few occasions that ST66 hooks got bent by big bluefin. But I feel ST76 is too thick and it might affect action of the lures.

Shibuki/Brabus with lip is more popular. But it doesn't mean Shibuki with lips can catch more fish. In my opinion they just catch more fishermen as it is easy to work.
I think more fishermen should try Shibuki/Brabus without lips.
We have had great success stickbait like Dorado Slider, Tailwalk's Gunz. Runboh, Volado or Tattoo lures in Cape Cod this year.

This post edited by KILSONG 12:47 PM 10/10/2009

gadoug

posted 10/10/2009 08:30 PM  

JonesBros wrote:

Better luck with the lip or without?

I buy nothing but the lipped versions of each now. I have a lip less one but only use in a very active top water feed. But those fish will eat anything you throw, within reason.

Doug

JonLi

posted 10/11/2009 10:25 AM  

Hi Kil ,

The last season of YFT , I used K-Ten 175SW , very effective and cast beatifully and there is a smaller size too , just incase YFTs become fussy with lure size but the smaller one won't cast too well .

Jon .

geyssonh

posted 10/12/2009 02:57 PM  

From Brabus, which colors work better with the bluefin in Cape Cod and Yelowfin in the golf?

gadoug

posted 10/12/2009 04:13 PM  

JonLi wrote:

Hi Kil ,

The last season of YFT , I used K-Ten 175SW , very effective and cast beatifully and there is a smaller size too , just incase YFTs become fussy with lure size but the smaller one won't cast too well .

Jon .

I have some of them, there not as heavy as the Brabus or Shibuki's. They do have a real good action at a slower speed than the shibuki's

Doug

KILSONG
Noreast.com Club Member

Jigging and Popping

posted 10/12/2009 11:35 PM  

Jon,
I have some of them to test myself before I make big order for my shop. It is encouraging the lures work for yft.

gadoug

posted 10/18/2009 01:03 AM  

KILSONG wrote:

Jon,
I have some of them to test myself before I make big order for my shop. It is encouraging the lures work for yft.

Kil

I there was a giant caught last year on the K-ten with a 6000fa.

doug

bretabaker

posted 10/18/2009 01:08 AM  

geyssonh wrote:

From Brabus, which colors work better with the bluefin in Cape Cod and Yelowfin in the golf?

i caught a lot of yellowfin on that lure down here before it was stolen by a barracuda. its a nice lure. 3/0 or 4/0 hooks work on it. i used both gami and owner hooks with the same result.

JerseyBrian

posted 11/03/2009 11:56 PM  

JonLi wrote:

Hi Kil ,

Jon .

That lure works great inshore too! The Barracudas and False Albacore cannot resist it down in the caribbean!

KILSONG
Noreast.com Club Member

Jigging and Popping

posted 12/13/2009 12:27 PM  

Shibuki comes with lip and without lip with two different sizes (186 mm and 156 mm). And there are floating models and sinking models.

The most dominetly popular model is 186 mm sinking model with lip.
The major reason of this lure's popularity is that it works and it is very easy to work with the lure. I caught tuna with the lure by trolling, jerking, no action at all and fast cranking. It is a very versatile lure.
My best success with Shibuki is when I cast, make a long slow jerk after waiting a few second, reel in the slack line and make a long slow jiek again with my rod tip position under me.

I experimented lipless Shibuki. Though the lipless Shibuki is not popular, I found it can be deadly sometimes, but you got to work more with lipless Shibuki than a Shibuki with lip.

While Tackle House makes Shibuki, Souls also makes Shibuki with more weight called Brabus. Souls owner participated in developing Shibuki as a field tester and developed his own Brabus as he wanted to cast farther with more weight. Brabus is more expensive than Shibuki, but has more varieties of colors.

Shibuki/Brabus Rigging

Tackle House suggests Owner ST66 treble hooks for 186 mm Shibuki/Brabus and most fishermen agree though some like ST76 3/0 or 4/0. I personally like Owner ST66 3/0.

Some like asssit hooks or big single hooks at the tail of the lure and some even attach single hooks instead of treble hooks at the belly of the lure.

I like to use two treble hooks if I want to keep fish. I firmly believe treble hooks increase hook-up ratio. The disadvantage of treble hooks are tuna can spit while head shaking or when lines are not tight enough.
Constant pressure without slack line is a key when using treble hooks.
Still many fishermen are using single hooks. But I found assist hooks are as effective and I notice I seldom drop fish when using assist hooks.

When using single hooks or assist hooks, don't be afraid to use big hooks.
The hooks shown in the picture is OTI assist hook 10/0 and Jigging Master 13/0 hook.

I like to use a combination of barrel swivel and split ring to attach Shibuki/Brabus to the leader line. The reason is that it is easy to change lures with split ring and it prevents line twisting with barrel swivel.

the lengh of leader line can be as short as 4 ft, but most fishermen use 10 - 15 ft. Though 6 - 8 ft leader line is usually good enough for casting, I like 12 - 15 ft long leader line. With over 12 ft, you rarely tough braided line with your fingers when casting. And you need some extra line as you have to cut a few ft when you see line damaged after catching fish.

The popupar knots connection leasder line and braided line is Mid Knot or PR knot. I think every popping fishermen should learn these knots. It beomes popular to use loop to loop coneection with hollow braided lines.

Some believe gluing on knots is not necessary, but I am firm believer that gluing definitely strengthen the knots.
My favorite glue is super thin ZAP CA.

Discussion Boards > Jigging and Popping  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.