Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

CT vs. NY Regulations

Discussion Boards > LI Sound Fishing
duke3389

posted 07/20/2009 03:53 PM  

I fish out of Cos Cob, CT and I have a question that no one seems to be able to answer. That is the difference between CT and NY regulations. The best example to use is Fluke. Considering NY season is closed right now and CT is open - what does that mean?

Can people from NY still fish for fluke in CT? Is it where your boat is registered? Can I leave CT and fish in NY for fluke even though season closed?

I have head different answers from everyone and would be interested what the bottom line is.

Thanks - appreciate everyones feedback.

Chiefy1942

posted 07/20/2009 04:12 PM  

CT NY REGS

You can't possess a fish that is out of season in NY no matter if u caught it in CT. NYrs can catch them in CT but technicaly can't bring them back to NY

ahiman

posted 07/20/2009 04:18 PM  

FYI

Fluke season in NY reopened 7/3 and closes at midnight 8/17. Smile

Tag and release for future generations

Fly Navy

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own...

tautog1

posted 07/20/2009 04:22 PM  

New York is currently open for Fluke, but to answer your question, if NY is closed, a NY boat can fish for fluke in CT waters, but they better not keep any! When they come back into NY waters, they will be in violation. A good rule of thumb, if you think you may be passing through or fishing in more than one states waters, stick to the more restricive regs for a given species. Our limits (at least in NY) are posession limits, not catch limits. There is a difference.

A good example: Several years ago, a Western Sound partyboat who is from a NY port was fishing for blackfish in NY waters durring May. The NY season was open, the CT season was closed. On the ride home they briefly passed through CT waters, were boarded, and fined for possesion of blackfish durring a closed season. In my opinion, they did nothing wrong, and the ECO could have used a little judgment, but they got fined anyway.

This post edited by tautog1 04:30 PM 07/20/2009

clarky711

posted 07/20/2009 07:12 PM  

last night a party boat from CT was over fishing by buoy 9 last night, I thought was funny. there must not be any decent fish up north for them to completely cross the sound to fish...

MickieBelle

posted 07/20/2009 08:04 PM  

Here's the rule - you have to have a legal catch on board whenever and wherever you're boarded. Doesn't matter where you're from or where you're going - you have to be legal wherever you are at the time you're checked.

Brownboy

posted 07/20/2009 08:26 PM  

blackfishing ?

I cant wait and see what it will look like come blackfish season on the sound . There is a line between Conn, and Longisland that you can not see on your gps only on a map > many dont know and many will get a fine . I for one think its a bunch of sh**. see you on the water BROWNBOY>>>>

Just One More Bite BrownBoy !

HUNGEY

posted 07/20/2009 09:53 PM  

regs

Where your boat is registered is the regs you should go by. If you fish in ct waters and are reg in NY you will get fined/ summoned if the fish are short in NY .

reelfisher
Noreast.com Club Member

Posted Reports
Partyboat Fishing
Fisheries Management

posted 07/20/2009 11:12 PM  

HUNGEY wrote:

Where your boat is registered is the regs you should go by. If you fish in ct waters and are reg in NY you will get fined/ summoned if the fish are short in NY .

That is incorrect. Tautog1's post above is the corrrect answer. The regualtions applied to your fish are those whose state's water you are in when boarded and the fish are checked.

"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and
since it's in English, thank a soldier."

nichefish

posted 07/21/2009 01:14 AM  

Brownboy wrote:

I cant wait and see what it will look like come blackfish season on the sound . There is a line between Conn, and Longisland that you can not see on your gps only on a map > many dont know and many will get a fine . I for one think its a bunch of sh**. see you on the water BROWNBOY>>>>

Put these waypoints in your GPS:

1. 40° 59' 03.152" N, 73° 39' 24.546" W
2. 40° 57' 03.228" N, 73° 36' 46.418" W
3. 41° 15' 31.321" N, 72° 05' 24.685" W

Next, set up a route from 1 -> 2 -> 3. When you're out on the water and wondering where the state boundary is, plot the route and you'll have a line marking the state boundary from Rye out into the Sound and up to Fisher's.

tautog1

posted 07/21/2009 09:16 AM  

Keep in mind that the boundry is measured differently in different areas. Most people are completely unaware that 11B off Eatons is actually in CT waters. They measure from the south end off Huntington Bay, not the point of Eatons.

craigkoproski

posted 07/21/2009 10:33 AM  

The bottom line

is that LIS should be managed as a body of water not state by state. Until it is done there is going to be the never ending tug of war between CT and NY! When I lived in CT there was nothing more frustrating than watching the NY guys catch blackfish in the spring while we were closed and I'm sure the NY guys hated when we were keeping fluke that they had to throwback. It's a cluster and the biggest losers are the fish!

"We protect only those things we love,
We love only those things we understand,
We understand only those things we are taught."

nichefish

posted 07/21/2009 04:04 PM  

tautog1 wrote:

Keep in mind that the boundry is measured differently in different areas. Most people are completely unaware that 11B off Eatons is actually in CT waters. They measure from the south end off Huntington Bay, not the point of Eatons.

I'm nitpicking, but the current boundaries are defined by lat/lon as you can find here, rather than by measurements off of the shoreline. the straight line running through the LIS is on a great circle, which should be what any chartplotter draws between the two fixed points in the NY Code.

Perhaps it's useful for people to know that the state boundary is marked on the NOAA charts. It's the magenta dashed line starting near Portchester, bending south of Captain's and proceeding NE just under 32A and 11B.

reelfisher
Noreast.com Club Member

Posted Reports
Partyboat Fishing
Fisheries Management

posted 07/21/2009 04:22 PM  

nichefish wrote:

tautog1 wrote:

I'm nitpicking, but the current boundaries are defined by lat/lon as you can find here, rather than by measurements off of the shoreline. the straight line running through the LIS is on a great circle, which should be what any chartplotter draws between the two fixed points in the NY Code.

Perhaps it's useful for people to know that the state boundary is marked on the NOAA charts. It's the magenta dashed line starting near Portchester, bending south of Captain's and proceeding NE just under 32A and 11B.

Since you are nitpicking... you are correct in that it is defined by lat/lon coordinates however, those coordinates were generated by taking measurements from both shores at various points through the sound...

"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and
since it's in English, thank a soldier."

Discussion Boards > LI Sound Fishing  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.