Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Fire Island Inlet Deemed "UN-NAVIGABLE"

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler
Maybe_Tonight

posted 11/07/2013 01:01 PM  

I have Sea Tow Great South Bay followed on Facebook and they do a great job providing all sorts of nice updates on local conditions. Today I saw a somewhat disturbing tidbit in my newsfeed.

According to their post and as the result of their meeting with CG Fire Island station yesterday, the Coast Guard has deemed FI Inlet un-navigable. !!!!surprisesurprisesurprisesurprise They have commented that this came from the Station Commander in front of an audience of 30.

I called the Station myself and while I could not get that same info, I was advised that they consider FI Inlet a RAPIDLY changing area with dramatic changes being seen on a DAILY basis and therefore "Cannot Advocate Mariners transitting" the inlet.

Also posted on the same FB discussion was mention that the dredge project was NOT working to improve navigation but instead was for beach replenishment. I asked FI Station that as well and they could not comment on the part. I thought we were dealing with all that work to have a better inlet come 2014 and now it appears that is not the case at all.

Anyone else hear from any other sources on this topic ??

PURSUITWA

posted 11/07/2013 01:11 PM  

Wow, I tried to go out last Saturday. Took a wave over the bow, put my tail between my legs and did a quick uturn.

Skatemaster,time to apologize to Tevlin's parents

Kevin625

posted 11/07/2013 01:15 PM  

I also follow GSB Sea Tow on Facebook and know a capt in the unit very well.

It is hard to make heads and tails of this "report". While I do agree the inlet is a freaking nightmare to navigate I can't understand what they are speaking about with regards to WHERE they are actually dredging. I was out and rounded the inlet last Wednesday and took the "out of channel, to the South" approach and was a bit uncomfortable with it. Once you get past the inlet there are SO many bouys. Red, green, triangles, circles. Not to mention your avoiding DANGEROUS breakers until you hit the Ocean. I can't imagine the CG wouldn't attend to a medical emegergency if needed. I man the Captree Party boats hug this inlet daily. Back to my original point of contesion, the drege barge and boyus are RIGHT OVER the shallowest area of the inlet. I am really intrested to see what revision to the current project is made. It just can't be true that are building back up beach and not deepening the inlet.

YellowRB

posted 11/07/2013 01:23 PM  

Ran the inlet a few times last week, including Saturday. Its definitely a sh*tshow in all but the best conditions. What happened here was the CG ran one of their small boats hard aground by #5. Prior to this, that area was 9-12'. They are not going to run the inlet again until they speak further with the Army Corps and the dredging company. This information is from personnel at CGFI.

petert

posted 11/07/2013 01:29 PM  

broke it 6 or 7 times in the past month, have been as low as 6 feet of water. definatley need to be careful, I don't know how the party boats do it

YellowRB

posted 11/07/2013 01:34 PM  

Most PBs use the inside lane.

trafik

posted 11/07/2013 01:54 PM  

I get that the inlet changes rapidly but isn't the non-navigable really just a CYA?

YellowRB

posted 11/07/2013 02:58 PM  

It is my understanding that this is a warning. For them to run aground themselves and not put some notice out would be foolish. Also it it my understanding that if is was truly being declared non navigable they would pull the bouys.

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 11/07/2013 03:16 PM  

YellowRB wrote:

It is my understanding that this is a warning. For them to run aground themselves and not put some notice out would be foolish. Also it it my understanding that if is was truly being declared non navigable they would pull the bouys.

Probably can't get a buoy tender in there. ToungueToungueToungueToungue

====MakoMike=====

Click here for The Makomania Sportfishing website

Makomania out

YellowRB

posted 11/07/2013 04:10 PM  

The dredge company has enough equipment on site to take the buoys out if deemed necessary.

CaptPaul
Noreast.com Club Member

Fisheries Management
Partyboat Fishing

posted 11/07/2013 05:03 PM  

They often do it without even wanting to.

Fishbust

posted 11/07/2013 05:24 PM  

trafik wrote:

I get that the inlet changes rapidly but isn't the non-navigable really just a CYA?

Yep. My old paper charts say the same thing for Moriches inlet and cuts.

Local Motion

Hunt n' Fish
Noreast.com Club Member

Boating Angler
General Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
Hunting

posted 11/07/2013 06:15 PM  

I had inquired about the dredgeing project last year, when the first dredge showed up. It was explained to me that the project is to remove almost 8 million cubic yards of sand for beach replenishment. That is because dredge projects are paid for either to move sand someplace, or to remove sand. So in this case, the primary goal is beach replenishment, but the secondary benefit is an improved inlet.

The dredge last year was hired to move 700,000 yards of sand to rebuild the dune along Ocean Parkway, and the bluff at Robert Moses traffic circle. This current dredge is to remove another 7 million yards of sand from the inlet. They are dredging according to GPS coordinates of the charted Federal Channel. That is why they went right through Democrat Point last year. They are to dredge the channel to the required depth, plus, a deposition basin area adjacent to the channel which is intended to collect the sand moving westerward down the beach, before it fills in the federal channel.

That was the plan as of last winter anyway, and I haven't heard that it is to change. Once the dredge is done, I'm sure all the buoys will be moved appropriately, just like they did in the state channel by Captree.

President, RAIBS
Recreational Anglers against Internet BS

offracing

posted 11/07/2013 09:01 PM  

non navigable

if the inlet is deemed by the uscg non navigable and a boat operator chooses to run the inlet will they be covered by insurance if GOD forbid something went severely wrong?.
carl

pokey

posted 11/07/2013 10:05 PM  

YellowRB wrote:

Most PBs use the inside lane.

Are you referring to that cut between the dredge and Demo on the east side ?

pokey

"Anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron ....

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.