Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Band of Brothers is one of the best war films ever made !

Page  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Boards > The Angler's Lounge
Vector

posted 12/31/2005 06:36 PM  

I've seen many war movies and I collect German World war 2 weapons , I must say , the Band of Brothers is a great show. Too bad they don't make the same type show showing the Pacific war.
Its amazing, its been more than 60 years since the war ended, and they're still making war documentaries and war films like its no tommorrow. They're even making Playstation games with world war 2 games, when will this all end ?
I think its great they're making all these shows, they're really neat to watch, but why are most of the films about fighting Germans ? For every Japanese war movie theres 10 movies about the Germans. During World war 2, most of the films were about the Pacific war. Strange !

jpd

posted 12/31/2005 06:40 PM  

I've had the six disc DVD set for a while now, Carentan is my favorie episode, shows the comraderie. God bless the Greatest Generation and their sons that are now serving.

If you have the set watch Ron Livingston's Video diaries.

"A lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a hundred men with guns." - Mario Puzo

fishyslaya

posted 12/31/2005 06:48 PM  

i agree with that great movie

but read the book even better than the show

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

jamesa

posted 12/31/2005 06:54 PM  

I taped each and every episode and felt the same way about the series. But JPD, change their 'sons' to grandchildren, LOL. Us baby boomers, the sons of the greatest generation, are nearly all retired from Uncle Sam now too.

(This post edited by jamesa on 12/31/2005)

Nah, probably just the bottom again...

Vector

posted 12/31/2005 06:56 PM  

Re: Dick Winters , the CO

That was nice they Used Dick Winters name in the movie. I didn't realize the CO in the movie was Dick Winters until I saw his name on his uniform. Dick Winters was really good in that documentary they had about the Band of Brothers.

jpd

posted 12/31/2005 06:58 PM  

jamesa wrote:

But JPD, change their 'sons' to grandchildren, LOL. Us baby boomers, the sons of the greatest generation, are nearly all retired from Uncle Sam now too.

I respectfully disagree. All of the servicemen are "our" sons.
Forever.

"A lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a hundred men with guns." - Mario Puzo

Fishing Friend

posted 12/31/2005 08:32 PM  

Regardless of what some say. In extreme cases war is necessary. The European theather is a classic example. Just imagine if Hitler was allowed to run wild. England would have been invaded and Natzis would have gathered resources and kept invading. Then ...and this is hard for many pampered U.S. citizens to swallow today...but just ask Pacific War veterans: It would take awhile but it would have been possible to see Japanese Warships and invasion forces off the coast of California. Lord knows what could have developed ?? We owe that generation (women helped too) a debt that we can never repay.

Savvy18

posted 01/01/2006 02:40 AM  

Vector-

I could not agree more. Excellent show. Fantastic acting and a realistic depiction of WWII. One of, if not the best film I have ever seen about the war.

The other movie they did together was not so bad either...Saving Private Ryan!

"I FISH FOR FUN...WHEN IT 'AINT FUN, I WON'T FISH"

DarthBaiter

posted 01/01/2006 03:13 AM  

If you liked the movies(mini series), read the book by Ambrose. Ambrose did agreat job putting together the info he found and the interviews he had with the original members of the 101st.

Support your local Mom n Pop stores.

Beachglass

posted 01/01/2006 06:59 PM  

Fishslaya, if you enjoyed the book,(and you are correct...the book is better as is nearly always the case), then see if you can get your hands on Stephen Ambrose's "D-Day", followed by "Citizen Soldiers", also by Ambrose. They're not better, in fact they are much the same as "Band", but the difference is that "Band" followed one group of men who were highly specialized. The other two books cover the day-to-day planning for the invasion, and the battles across Europe.
As I understand it, America pretty much focused on the European war, at the expense of the war in the Pacific, simply because the media can only do so much. An excellent example is that, today, with all of our technology, we've pretty much turned our complete media attention to Iraq, at the expense of Afghanistan. In Afghanistan, there are ongoing political elections that we could be debating, and battles and scandals and supply problems, and an insurgency that is strong and determined.
We are generally unaware of it all, because our media and politicians are focusing on Iraq, but our brothers and sisters are on the line in Afghanistan, no less than Iraq.
A humorous anectode about our political self-righteousness is the news conference in 2002, when an American reporter asked the Afghan President if our own President had discussed an "exit strategy" with him. President Karhzai responded, "There is no exit strategy... You're not going anywhere. We are holding the coalition partners prisoner." He went on to describe how the world deserted Afghanistan once before, and it turned into an insane asylum of horrors, and that liberating nations have a responsibility to remain and protect, while the new nation rebuilds.
So, fishslaya, this is my exit strategy for Iraq... How about fifty years? Just as we did in Germany and Italy and Japan!
How about if, this time, we stay, while our "New Iraq" becomes an ally and a trading partner, and maybe even a tourist destination?
40 years ago, you could walk in front of a travel agency, and there would be posters saying, "Come to Iran for vacation, where the people are friendly and the welcome mat is out". I'd rather see that, than news clips of their President declaring the death of Americans, and us afraid of a nuclear pandora's box.
"Band of Brothers" proved that we found the fortitude to do it once, and I think that we owe those heroes the same thing today.
John

I survived Roe v. Wade

mesinger

posted 01/01/2006 07:43 PM  

we did not occupy and Govern the Axis powers for fifty years

we governed for perhaps five and we had a Marshall Plan and put the axis back to work

thats not the case in Iraq and Afganistan where 70 percent of the population is unemployed and the Corporations do the "rebuilding"

I know your gonna say hey the Kurds are doing great

thats like saying hey Los Angles is doing Great New York and Chicago are outa control and burning!

There is no way you can compare the current situation In Iraq to WWII

WWII was a total mobilazation with 10 million Americans Under Arms

the US Army of occupation in Europe was about 3 Million
Americans alone

for Five Years

WWII we had a WARTIME PROFITEERING ACT the corporations didnt get rich they served

Not this time now the Vice President and an X President own shares

Keep thinkin this is like wwII the war on terror

Geez half the people on this site live in La La Land

The other half are sheep

we deserve to loose our freedom!!!

We are sheep!!!!
Bah Bah Bah

fifty years to help Afganistan what a joke!

and you guys go for it a bigger joke

fifty years in Iraq?

I saw a post the other day and wanted to respond and said hey lemme keep my yap shut its the holidays

It seems someones tour of duty in Iraq was over!!

Which is a good thing!!

and the kid is comming home great!!!

I say {heres where I get in trouble}

DONT BOTHER UNPACKING THEY ARE ONLY GONNA SEND YA BACK!

which sucks

Glad Im out,enlistments way down they are taking cat 4s now to serve in Iraq

you know what a cat 4 is?

Its a 4 f {Barely}

Bad Knees, Deaf ,Vision ,Teeth anything that they would generally not take you for they are taking now dont believe me check for your self and the arrest and age limits are getting fudged around too!!

there no way we are gonna stay the course this will be the final year

and then they will pull out and the civil war in Iraq will start

and we will be 400 Billion short

a couple of thousand dead

osama will still be free

Our country will be no safer

and I will say told ya so!!!!!

Keep Believing Santas gonna come!

Jan15,2013 RIP NYS Riflemen

<<<{{{}}<

PHIL2302

posted 01/01/2006 08:22 PM  

Blah blah blah blah blah......

Fishing Friend

posted 01/02/2006 12:31 AM  

This topic is a tribute to the U.S. Army in W.W. 2 in Europe. Mesinger...PLEASE LEAVE !!!!

mesinger

posted 01/02/2006 10:47 AM  

a famous kodak moment

Fishing Friend wrote:

This topic is a tribute to the U.S. Army in W.W. 2 in Europe. Mesinger...PLEASE LEAVE !!!!

Why are you mad at me? I didnt start with the comments on Iraq.

Beachglass did so why dont you yell at him?

I know why you dont like my opinion but thats ok peer pressure is a *****.

Jan15,2013 RIP NYS Riflemen

<<<{{{}}<

Discussion Boards > The Angler's Lounge Page  1, 2, 3  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.