Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

My B/S Rig - Simple And Deadly

Page  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Discussion Boards > Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep
Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep
Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 06/22/2004 09:03 PM  

O.K. guys, since I'm averaging about 5 PM requests per day on how to make this thing, I've gotten out the Kodak and taken a few pics that might help youse out.

I do doubt there's much need to get into the effectiveness of this rig - I've been rattling on about it for a few seasons now. But for those that would like a quick review(well, not so quick actually), here's a link to a thread that has tons of good info in it, including me clucking about this rig:

Click on the links in my first post here

If you try this thing you will find that your fluke catch will grow as a direct inverse to your new-found lack of aggravating skate-sticking. Last weekend I had to have personally caught over 30 fluke off Jones AND NOT ONE SKATE. While my fishing buddy banged skate after skate on a more conventional flukin' rig. He made the switch and then went skateless the rest of the day. Not flukeless, however, that's for sure.

Here's a pic of the entire rig:

(This post edited by Leprechaun on 06/22/2004)

"Hi, my name is Pete and I have a fishing gear problem."

This post edited by Leprechaun 08:20 PM 09/20/2013

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 06/22/2004 09:11 PM  

Continued

I make the rig out of 30lb test Berkeley Big Game, feel free to play the rich dude and use Fluorocarbon if you want. I do think that in this case it makes more of a difference to the fisherman than the fish, but then what do I know?

Note up there in the foregoing pic that the last upgrade to my rig uses a #56 duo-lock snap for the lower spot. This way with some slight bending of the snap you can use up to a 12oz sinker for those truly miserable days offshore. Or a big hookless bullet.

Either way, I've yet to see a difference in the final results - and my testing is pretty definitive as I've repeatedly fished rigs with a hookless bullet and a sinker within 3' of each other on identical rods and have found no, as in ZERO difference in the catching.

Here's a closeup of the lower snap, held on with a simple Palomar knot:

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 06/22/2004 09:18 PM  

Continued

Bad piece of photography, but here's a shot of the business end of the rig. A 2" (Or so) dropper loop with a #53 duolock snap looped onto it. I bend the securing tang on the snap into more of a hook than a right angle - I do not like a big fish's ability to shake his head violently - it could theoretically open a snap not properly modified. In truth, I tried the much larger #54 snap, but found that the catch rate went way down with that bigger snap. So I stick with the #53 and hold my breath when I feel a biggie on the rod. No lost fish that I can attribute to a snap opening or failure, but I suppose it could happen.

Feel free to suggest alternative snaps, I've tried them all, including the Crane, the Brekely Cross-Lock and the one with the flat metal securing plate and none work as well as the #53 Duolock. But I'm open to suggestions:

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 06/22/2004 09:26 PM  

Continued

Here's a shot of the top end of the rig.

I'm partial to Spro ball-bearing swivels & snaps and have never had one fail. Of course there ain't a thing wrong with a regular Crane barrel swivel and snap, but there's just something about those Spros that I really like. The BB swivel on the rig itself can be attached with either an Improved Clinch knot or a Palomar, but the BB snap swivel on the main line MUST be attached with a Palomar as I've found that an Improved Clinch CANNOT be trusted when using braid on a big fish. Two seasons ago I lost whatI believe to be my first double digit fish because the freakin' 10 turn Improved Clinch pulled through. Now ALL I use with braid is the Palomar and not one knot failure in two years. ZERO is the number we are after here.

BTW, that's 30lb Tufline XP in fluorescent yellow - works terrific when drifting multiple lines on a small boat and much easier to untangle when you can actually see the line without a magnifying glass:

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 06/22/2004 09:27 PM  

Continued

One last shot of the rig:

Hunt n' Fish
Noreast.com Club Member

Boating Angler
General Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
Hunting

posted 06/22/2004 10:32 PM  

Hey Pete,

I'm just curious why you go with the snap hardware, instead of just looping the bottom loop through the weight, and the dropper loop for the teaser?

Is it just the way you do it, or have you found the results varied with the snaps instead of just the loop? With all your meticulous experimentation, it wouldn't surprise me if it is the latter.

President, RAIBS
Recreational Anglers against Internet BS

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 06/22/2004 10:59 PM  

The reason for the snaps is that one of my design objectives for this rig was to allow very quick disassembly of the rig when fouled in the landing net.

I carry two large ones on the boat but there have been many times that BOTH nets are in action and inorder to clear them for the next fish coming up it is necessary to unsnap the fouled jig and leave it in the netting when going for the next fish alongside the boat.

Nothing could possibly be worse than having the fish of the day sitting alongside the boat waiting for the net and no net is available because I'm fumbling around trying to pull a near-transparent leader loop back over and thru a tiny jig or fly's eye.

I just never could do that quickly. Put them on the dropper, yes, no problemo. But get the jig off a drooper loop? Quickly? With the rig completely ensared in the net, a GOOD fish waiting impatiently for it and another fish or two flopping on the deck? That's just not my strong smoot.

My eyes are not what they used to be and my hands start to shake just a wee bit when "Mr. Big" is sitting right there, waiting to be netted.

Know what I mean?

rgds,

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 06/23/2004 12:02 AM  

Anyone that feels that they can improve on the rig, please feel free to post up.

That was the point of doing all this work this evening in the first place.

Oh, and I also thought that it would help prevent "Typist's Wrist" too.

But now I'm beginning see that might not be the case.

rgds,

This post edited by Leprechaun 05:38 PM 03/15/2012

Billy40
Noreast.com Club Member

posted 06/23/2004 12:15 AM  

a few weeks ago I picked up the Hi-Vis YEllow Tuff Line becaue my Mom and wife were having a difficult time seeing the line. Might wana shut up about this, before everyone has this line, and then we'll never be able to figure out who's yellow braid is tangled with who's.

The HNIC of Teh NERBs

Co-Designer of the Seeker Hercules line of blanks & factory rods

Billy Vivona's XL Rods website

bottomrig

posted 06/23/2004 01:58 AM  

OK I got it so far, now what exactly do I put on the small snap?
bottomrig

Hunt n' Fish
Noreast.com Club Member

Boating Angler
General Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
Hunting

posted 06/23/2004 06:19 AM  

Bottomrig,

Go check out the thread on "Your go to teaser" (or something along those lines).

President, RAIBS
Recreational Anglers against Internet BS

jamesa

posted 06/23/2004 06:25 AM  

Lep,
I copied your design for the ocean, but haven't gotten outside to try them as yet.
so far have had just moderate luck fishing the bay or channels with the rig, is it me, or do you find the rig is just better in deep, less current-swift waters?

Nah, probably just the bottom again...

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 06/23/2004 09:26 AM  

Jamesa - ya know, I just can't really say. I strictly fish outside, so all my experimentation and results are gleaned from that venue.

I did try it once in Reynolds Channel on a windy day that prevented my heading offshore and did catch a few fish on it, but the area was so freakin' weed-choked that day that no matter what rig we put on, it fouled in just a few minutes.

Inconclusive results at best.

I have heard from some of the L.I. Sound guys via PM's and they report that it works excellently up there. Some of the fish they've sent me pics of were truly impressive.

Anyway, give the rig a solid try in the Bay and let us know. I for one am most interested in how ya do.

Bottomrig - follow the links that I provided in the first post and you will find lots on the 1/4-oz bucktails and the unweighted teaser flies that I prefer.

I already made mention of this in another thread and at the risk of beating the horse senseless, if you want to really give this rig a fair shot - get ahold of Tom Caruso here on Noreast - he goes by the e-name of "ReelTeasers" and get yourself some of his excellent fluke teaser flies - man did we kick a$$ with those things last weekend. A small spearing and/or 3" strip of squid to sweeten and we easily put 60 fish in the boat on one tide in front of the Pink Hotel. we fished them over 6 and 8oz Silver Bullets.

The "SeaRobin" pattern orange over white with some gold flash on the sides was just unbelievably hot with the fluorescent green pattern not too far behind.

I especially like that he uses a nice expensive Stainless Steel hook instead of an ordinary cheesy iron one - no need to laboriously wash off the lures in FW at the end of the trip. Though in fact I do that anyway.

rgds, Leprechaun

(This post edited by Leprechaun on 04/23/2005)

This post edited by Leprechaun 09:42 AM 05/07/2009

gebby

posted 06/23/2004 10:15 AM  

i second tom caruso's teasers. i picked up maybe 15-20 of them in various sizes at last years lindenhurst show because as you know colors catch fisherman and not fish. also i think someone made fun of me for spending so much on teasers. anyway, they catch, they hold up, and they remain sharp. quality product. i use em on my plugging leaders if the toothy ones aint around.

Now, you've got a corpse in a car, minus a head, in a garage. Take me to it.

Discussion Boards > Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep Page  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.