Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

What is wrong with people???

Page  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Boards > Partyboat Fishing
crabcake

posted 03/07/2010 10:21 PM  

For the second time in less than a month I had a conversation with a party boat captain, who along with his crew, became the victim of inconsiderate fares who complained emphatically when their trip ended an hour or two early due to sore arms & full limits. Nothing like bitchin' and moaning because fishing is too good!! What do people expect?

Ling is King and Cusk are Deluxe!

This post edited by crabcake 10:22 PM 03/07/2010

fishfinderTim

posted 03/07/2010 10:39 PM  

Well put chris

codmaster

posted 03/07/2010 11:47 PM  

Maybe they wanted to keep fishing for the scheduled trip time?

Most of the time when I have been on a trip that was ended early by the Capt. there was vote taken of the passengers.

Those folks might have thought thatit was a ripoff if the Capt. just decided to go in early (with obviously no weather or equipmennt problems)

JC30967

posted 03/08/2010 08:07 AM  

What is wrong with people?

I've heard a few people complain about the same thing Chris this winter in Montauk. Amazing! We on LI struggled for years with mediocre codfishing, now it is possible for a railed party boat to limit out with a ten fish per person bag in a couple of hours or less on SOME days, and yet a few people will still find something to cry about. Those kinds of people will never be happy, and will find something negative in any situation, why even bother attempting to satisfy them Roll.

If anybody thinks the situation Chris described is a "ripoff", well then perhaps they should get their own boat so they can stay out and play catch and release with cod untill they are satisfied Roll

Somewhere in Chicago,a community is missing its organizer

Capt. Jamie

posted 03/08/2010 08:12 AM  

How many fish would you like to kill before its time to go. When your catching fish and trowing them back and they float away rather then swim away, and EVERYONE has there limit and are already playing catch and release for a while. Do you realy expect a Capt to just sit there and keep killing fish. Great concervation.

MISS MONTAUK, Open Party Boat, Year Round Fishing #631-668-1545. Location 426 West Lake [email protected] Montauk Marine Basin

TonySMJC

posted 03/08/2010 08:12 AM  

BALANCING ACT

Its all a balancing act

Years ago when I fished with a certain Charter Boat in Montauk Once you filled the xacta box you wer slowly slide off the bottom until the fishing stoped completely. He would never just say were going home , but you never caught another fish.
Some said he was right for not over fishing the few productive spots he had , while others thought that the should be allowed to pound em all day . On my trips we just asked to go home once it was over Content with a good day fishing .

thye guys out on the point now are facing a similar but much more challenging problem . What to do with 25 , 35 , 55 people of different mind sets once they have reached the boat limit.

1) with the cod fish on most if not all of bottom is there anything else to catch without still landing cod
2) let guys catch and release hoping every one abides by the limits and isnt stashing xtra cod and incresssing the mortality for nothing
Added to the fact that a certain number of anglers are just going to be plain POed because they have to toss em back
3) Slide off or miss the next few drifts till the fishing stops
sharp uguys will catch on pretty fast and complain about that

This is a know win situation and one in which complaining will do no good
different boats will handle this different ways trick as a customer is to be on the boat that handles it in a way that makes you happy

Are you a hunga go with the guy that lets u keep em all
Are you a happy to catch and go home go with the guy that leaving once hes bagged up
Are you a catch and release man go with the boat that favors that
Do you like to hold a pole in your hand once its over , go with that

Fishing out at the point is excellent and this should be a great time to enjoy the sport
Its a problem I would be Glad to have

Take a kid fishing they are the future of our sport and our world

snivler

posted 03/08/2010 09:21 AM  

Going home early

Hey what about when the Captain stays late to help you fill the bag. Is there a extra charge ? Just think of an early return as an equity payment for the next time the Captain stays late with no extra pay.
Quit snivling and smile . Life is a little bit of give and take ! So wipe that puss off your face ....... and enjoy your fish dinner ..

Hunt n' Fish
Noreast.com Club Member

Boating Angler
General Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
Hunting

posted 03/08/2010 09:44 AM  

I've been surprised this post hasn't come up eariler since many of the boats out there have been bragging about it right in their reports that the boat limited out and they were back early. I remember some of these discussions from a few years ago that were exceptionally cantankerous. I just figured this was appreciated by most that were up all night to get to the boat early and get their spots and depart at 3AM. I know I would be appreciative of getting back to the dock early if the boat limited out. Then you can get home and either do something productive with the rest of your day after the long ride home, or just rest up for work the next day. Instead of getting home late and in the dark after a long night before and full day on the water. This cod fishing is a lot different, and has a different clientel, then a summer day trip, out of one of the many other ports on the island that are very convienent to reach for most folks.

Like Tony said, you're not going to please everyone, but I'd bet most on the boats are appreciating an early return, or we would have been hearing more b!th!ng about by now.

President, RAIBS
Recreational Anglers against Internet BS

STRIKERTHREE

posted 03/08/2010 10:01 AM  

The way I look at it is I'm paying to catch fish hell if we limit out 2 hours into the trip great aslong as the entire boat caught their limit leaves me more time to do other things people dont realize your paying to catch fish not for a boat ride

Proud to be Union U.W.U.A 1-2

American by Birth Union By Choice!

Skilled Labor isn't cheap and cheap labor isn't skilled !!

ctwhitechin

posted 03/08/2010 10:47 AM  

it amazes me that some people would complain that they went in a little early because fishing was "too good" Agree with an earlier comment that you should consider it a wash for the day or days that the captain/crew stay out later anf fish till 3-4PM because the fish didn't start biting till 1PM.

One trip I did last month we started fishing about 6:30 and by 9AM I was more than ready to go home, maybe even earlier.

With all that is wrong in the world be grateful you have the extra $$ to go fishing, and if you end up out on a day where the fish bite their heads off in the dark and you go home earlier than normal, walk off the boat with a smile and say "wow that was great"

I understand it's a balancing act and a hard one at that to keep all passengers happy but come on people, don't worry be happyShadesShades

I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead.

jimmycee
Noreast.com Club Member

posted 03/08/2010 11:15 AM  

I have been on trips where some people only wanted to come along for the ride, they may fish a bit, however if the trip is shortened they feel slighted..

Steamfitter638

posted 03/08/2010 12:24 PM  

You'll run into morons everywhere you go Really Whether it be on a partyboat or in church. Morons are everywhere.......be careful out there Finger

Can't fight against the youth, cause we're strong

The worst are ppl who live in a golden age & complain about how yellow everything is

Henderson

posted 03/08/2010 12:50 PM  

Maybe I'm alone on this one, but it drives me crazy when a trip is called off early. I'm not going fishing to catch fish, I'm going to fish. I've had great days out on the water where I only caught a few fish. Especially in the winter I'm looking to get out of the house and spend some time on the water. I'm not the type who's going to be bitching about anything out on the water, but it does affect how much I make the 5 hour trip to Montauk. I don't know the northern waters that well, but aren't there some spots that the captain could hit for ling or pollock or something other than cod to fill up the rest of the trip?

JC30967

posted 03/08/2010 12:55 PM  

Henderson wrote:

Maybe I'm alone on this one, but it drives me crazy when a trip is called off early. I'm not going fishing to catch fish, I'm going to fish. I've had great days out on the water where I only caught a few fish. Especially in the winter I'm looking to get out of the house and spend some time on the water. I'm not the type who's going to be bitching about anything out on the water, but it does affect how much I make the 5 hour trip to Montauk. I don't know the northern waters that well, but aren't there some spots that the captain could hit for ling or pollock or something other than cod to fill up the rest of the trip?

Pollock are not abundant enough off Montauk and Block for boats to target them specifically. Ling yes, but again, after way too long, we LIers can go codfishing and have a good chance ( MOST days) of making a good catch of codfish. A party boat limits out on cod in a couple of hours,you had a terrific day codfishing, why go for what is, in Montauk at least, a fallback species for tough days.

Somewhere in Chicago,a community is missing its organizer

This post edited by JC30967 01:01 PM 03/08/2010

CaptPaul
Noreast.com Club Member

Fisheries Management
Partyboat Fishing

posted 03/08/2010 01:43 PM  

Jay,

You are welcome to use my quote from yesterday, about the ling.

As for these trips in particular, you are not necessarily paying for a 14 hour cod trip. You are pa)ing for a cod trip that the Captain is willing to spend 12 to 16 hours trying to make a catch for you. Because of the possibility of the night bite, sun-up bite, mid-morning bite, or afternoon bite, and any combination there-of, the trip is give a broad range of time to provide a chance to be there when the window is open.

Many days, boats are limited by 7 or 8 AM, and the bite dies wellbefore 10 AM. Should every spend the next five hours looking at each other, and forgeting how good the trip really was?

If everyone was as smart 4 they thought they were, we wouldn't need party boat Captains.

Paul

Discussion Boards > Partyboat Fishing Page  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.