Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Black Fishing On The Eastern Seaboard - A Running Report

Page  1, 2, 3 ... 114, 115, 116  Next

Discussion Boards > Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep
Meirowitz

posted 10/24/2004 06:48 AM  

Black fishing has held a special place in many anglers' hearts. Many die-hard fishermen who fish for multiple species find the most allure from the elusive, crafty and challenging tog - the bulldog of the wrecks.

Feel free to post your comments about blackfishing, whether they be questions, reports, techniques, equipment, general locations, or anything else related to tog.

Pictures: Leprechaun; WXMAN61, Savvy18, Gary Sinestra, and Gebby.

Avatar:  Vietnam, 1969, Kien Hoa Province, Mekong Delta

This post edited by Leprechaun 08:22 PM 09/20/2013

googin

posted 10/24/2004 06:55 AM  

WOW

Looks like I missed a good trip, how was the fishin'

Meirowitz

posted 10/24/2004 06:59 AM  

The Tautoga - October 23, 2004

On October 23 Eileen Miller (Leen1), Joe Torriero (Togster2) and I went out on Mike Lotito's Tautoga out of Orient Point, New York.

Despite reports of rough seas (and some de facto sloppy chop and grey skies), we headed out east of Fisher's Island and had the kind of day we all hope for when the feisty tog are around. It seems like the snap in the weather and the temperature break have set them off!

Three of us (with Mike Lotito pitching in on occasion when he wasn't running the boat and netting the fish) had a great day, with about 26 keepers. What was interesting, though, was the size of the keepers. Six of those fish went ten pounds or better, with the largest just shy of 13 pounds. I would say the average weight of the 26 fish had to be about 8 pounds or better!

Incidentally, for the naysayers, Capt. Mike Boccio (Prime Time III) was at the dock when we came in and weighed the larger fish with a certified scale!

It was JOe who got the 13 pounder. I think it was his personal best. Way to go, Joe!

It looks like the tog fishing season is well under way. Smile

Picture: Eileen Miller (Leen1), Dick Meirowitz (Meirowitz), and Joe Torriero (Togster2).

(This post edited by Meirowitz on 10/27/2004)

Captneilf
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 10/24/2004 07:01 AM  

Holy Toledo!!!!

Way to go Eileen!

Goldberg's going to be eating his heart out!!!!!

Beautiful black!

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods  
The Long Islander Series
The MAXIMIZER Series

(631)567-8049

PaddleOn
Noreast.com Club Member

Kayak Fishing Forum

posted 10/24/2004 07:23 AM  

Looks like those mouse crabs did the trick Smile

Nice fish there!!!

If you wanna to get to Heaven
You've got to raise a little hell

Meirowitz

posted 10/24/2004 07:27 AM  

Picture: Joe with the 13 pounder! [Edit: sorry, 8 pounder - one of the smaller fish! Smile]

(This post edited by Meirowitz on 10/24/2004)

Meirowitz

posted 10/24/2004 07:30 AM  

Meirowitz with a measly 10 pounder! Caught on a mouse crab! [LOL - thanks, Jay! Mice do catch tog, and I seem to have an endless supply of them these days! Frown]

(This post edited by Meirowitz on 10/27/2004)

paul708

posted 10/24/2004 07:35 AM  

Way to go Guys that a great picture.

Home of the $259.00 (or less)jigging rods

Meirowitz

posted 10/24/2004 07:57 AM  

Eileen Miller with some of the larger tog.

MIKE TUNA

posted 10/24/2004 08:01 AM  

Wow Great news ! Eileen didn't get the biggest ? Shes must be slipping . I better hook up with Mike before all the big fish are gone .
I fished with Mike and Ec Newell about a week ago and we tried many different spots that would normally produce but the bite was still off . We did manage some fish so hopefully this is the start . Mike suggested that day we fish for Bass and we did which became stupid fishing as we all would hook up on every drift .

(This post edited by MIKE TUNA on 10/24/2004)

MIKE TUNA

Meirowitz

posted 10/24/2004 08:05 AM  

MikeTuna, I called you the night before, brother. Even sent you an email. There was room for you on the boat!

The cold snap set em off! They are here! Go get em! Smile

(This post edited by Meirowitz on 10/24/2004)

MIKE TUNA

posted 10/24/2004 08:10 AM  

I didn't get the message on the Cell Phone sometimes the messages all come in at once days later . I probably get the message today . Damn I was free and certainly would have loved to go .

MIKE TUNA

Hunt n' Fish
Noreast.com Club Member

Boating Angler
General Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
Hunting

posted 10/24/2004 08:18 AM  

Nice fish guys (and gal). Mike called me last night just to let me know what I missed (nice guy huh? Wink)

President, RAIBS
Recreational Anglers against Internet BS

EC NEWELL MAN

posted 10/24/2004 09:15 AM  

I even have to chime in and say thats one of the best early fall blackfish trips for large fish that i have seen in a long time....that type of quality size tog is very special. Great trip Capt. Mike Lotito of the TAUTOGA....just remember to put me on that spot when Mike Tuna and myself get out there again!

EC NEWELL MAN***

(This post edited by EC NEWELL MAN on 10/24/2004)

As of 0900hrs - 5/2/08-

I NO LONGER ACCEPT PMs.

Contact me at:

[email protected]

Togster2

posted 10/24/2004 09:16 AM  

I fihed with Dick and Eileen on Mike Lolitos boat out of orient. Here are a few thoughts,
The Tautoga is a 31 ft JC. Firat time I was ever on one. Great boat, we had no problem getting out in a steady 20 knot wind with that miserable 4 to 5 ft chop/sea/swell that is so prevelant in long island sound and especially around orient point and the islands. this boat took it all and on the way back with good 6 foot swell/chop behind us it was not nearly a s squirrly as I have been led to believe the JC's are. It was also very comfortable to fish on when we were hooked up, no snapping and rolling. If I ever get those 6 lucky numbers, a JC is definately on my short list.
Braid vs Mono. I am definately a mono man (lol) I have used mono all my life and use it effectively. 30 lb ande for Cod and Blackfish,no snaps swivels etc. I have my share of large fish. Everyone started out using braid except me,I caught my two biggest fish on mono but then the tide started,coupled with the wind I could not hold bottom with 20 ounces of lead. In conditions like that, I would normally duct tape two flat sinkers of whatever weight was neccessary to prevent them from spinning,and fish that way. However, I did not bring a reel and rod large enough to work that kind of rig effectively so I went to one of Mikes boat rods with 50 lb braid and 80 lb leader. I felt like a rookie. Yes i was holding fine with 14 to 16 ounces of lead,yes I felt every ,and I mean EVERY bump,slap,tap,nudge etc. problem is, I was swinging and missing at every single one. needless to say my catch ratio plummeted,but i did manage a few more fish. I will admit it has definate advantages,Eileen and Dick had no problems with it,and i did start getting used to it. The weather conditions yesterday made for this trip to be classified,at times as on the extreme edge of fishability,hard tide hard wind deep water. under a more normal weather condition,I probably could of stuck with the mono. But that was not the case,I learned a few things more yeasterday,and that is whats important. If I learn one new thing each and every time i go out,it makes me better the next time i go out.
Greens vs hermits. We started out using greens,we fished them whole and well,what can I say? we obviously slayed them. later on in the day we switched to hermits because the tog got bait shy. They jumped right on top of hermits as they usually do. But you have to fish them different,yesterday, if you did not set the hook IMMEDIATELY when your rig hit bottom,you were cleaned. For those that have never fished them,hermits are a soft bait that must be hooked and fished properly,for my own usage, i get them beforehand and crack them open and salt them up good,if i am not going to use them the next day or two, I freeze them.They work just as well for me using this method and I feel that the salting toughens them up just enough to give you that extra second needed to set the hook.
The day,,,what can i say? a cloudy windy miserable sea condition day and yet I felt like I was laying on a tropical isle sipping a cold beer with 20 Sports Ilustrated swim suit models waiting on me hand and foot. the fishing was great,the company good,the captain excellent
The crew. Capt Mike,,great guy always smiling,always helpful yet absolutely and completely agrressive in getting on the right piece at the right time the right way. Focused on his work is an apt description.
Eileen (leen1) Great lady,and I mean a lady. Good fisherwoman who is not afraid to get down and dirty when it comes to fishing
Dick,,good fisherman,stays at the rail and works hard at catching,and it shows. Also every very good at organizing a good trip every time i have went with him. Only problem is he mixes pictures and weights up,that fish Im holding is only about 8 lbs LOL
me,,what can I say? im "Just Passing Through" Long as i wake up every morning on this side of the grass, I figure it's a great day.

"Never approach a bull from the front,a horse from the rear,or a fool from any direction"

Discussion Boards > Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep Page  1, 2, 3 ... 114, 115, 116  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.