Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

No Spark

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler
caver

posted 10/18/2007 01:55 PM  

Well...I'm hoping the collective wisdom here can give me a hand.

I have twin 200hp 1993 Johnsons. Two weeks ago the boat ran great. This past monday the Port engine started right up, the starboard didn't. I started with the fuel, there was fuel in the in -line fuel filter, and I could smell it on a spark plug I pulled.
So next I checked to see If I had a spark. None, at any cylder. So I started trouble shooting. And well six hours later still have no spark and no more ideas.

The engines have an emergency kill switch (you know the thing with the lanyard to attach to yourself) that is shared by both of them. So am I correct in thinking that it is probably not that, sense the port engine runs?

Also there is a switch on the throtlle that doesn't allow it to start if its in gear. However I just thought this doesn't allow the engines to turn over.

I'm totally at a loss.

The boat is in Snug Harbor RI. In the water. And I don't have a trailer to take it to someone to have them look at it. (never mind not really being able to afford it) The marina doesn't work on outboards. I called a couple of places around and they are swamped with winterazation and don't have the time to look at it.

If anyone has any ideas I'd sure appreciate it. Also if anyone has any recomendations of anyone who does road service that would be great. I was looking forwards to the Blackfish season all summer, and now this happens.....Frown.....arg...

Thanks all...

aaron

1ReelDeal

posted 10/18/2007 02:25 PM  

main fuse

How about the fuse in the wiring harness - also does the engine crank over but not kick in? There was just another thread on here that has 6 pages of electrical problems with an outboard. Lots of ideas on that one from some pretty smart sounding people.

caver

posted 10/18/2007 02:45 PM  

Yes the enginge cranks over. But no spark at any of the plugs. I used a spark tester on each cylinder. I'll read thru the thread you suggested. Thanks

aaron

fishingartie

posted 10/18/2007 02:56 PM  

Did you check the coils, and the main ground going to them?????

gverb1219

posted 10/18/2007 03:34 PM  

I agree on both.......check the main fuse and the coil.......but leaning more towards the coil,up as most times the main fuse will not let the engine turn over.Roll
Easy enough to check. Pop the coil off the other engine and try it, if it works you know you need a coil.upup

.......R.I.P. I miss U Bro

thefishingfreak

posted 10/18/2007 03:46 PM  

search Iboats

BLUEFISH9

posted 10/18/2007 08:39 PM  

Prob. need a new power pack. Very common on those engines and not tooooo expensive.

caver

posted 10/18/2007 08:55 PM  

The 93 Johnsons have a coil pack for each cylnder, so I didn't think that they all would die at the same time. I keep thinking mabye its some sorta fusible link...or the power pack...which i guess in the grand sceme of things isn't too expensive...$325 or so...Does anyone know if there is a way to bench test the power pack?

i'll try out that link...and see if they can help.

Thanks for the help folks...certainly apreciate it.

aaron

gverb1219

posted 10/18/2007 10:17 PM  

Even if you think it's the power pack or ICM, you can still take the one from the other engine and try it on the non spark engine and see if it fires upupupupShades

.......R.I.P. I miss U Bro

caver

posted 10/19/2007 09:23 AM  

gverb-Thats what I'll do on monday. Wish I had thought of that last week...ah well...

Thanks all...I'll let you know what happens...

aaron

Brenainn

posted 10/19/2007 06:27 PM  

Caver

You gave up the surf, boat hopping and mating to run your own boat?? Smile Times must be good! Smile Hey good luck with that, I'm sure you'll get it up Twin 200's surprisesurprise

Id rather be lucky than good

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 10/20/2007 08:36 AM  

You can't get one of the guys from Pt Judith Marina or Point view to take a quick look at it? Did you try calling Stone Cove and see if they could take a look at it? How about Paul whathisname, that has the new gas station on rte 108, he does lots of boat work?

====MakoMike=====

Click here for The Makomania Sportfishing website

Makomania out

caver

posted 10/20/2007 07:58 PM  

Mako Mike...

The first place I tried was Pt Judith Marina. Thats where the boat is. However the don't trouble shoot outboards. They'll do stuff like winterizing, and the such. Point View, Ocean House, and Point Jude Boats point blank said they were too busy hauling and doing winterizing to look at it...arg....Burdick boats up in Ashaway can come down in three weeks....arg....I did not try Stone Cove, I will. I'll see If i can find Paul whathisname Smile...is that the station that has a couple of boats for sale usually?

Brenainn....No I didn't really give the surf or mating...I worked for Kelly Smith on the C Devil II this fall when his summer mate goes off to college. My wife and I had a daughter last december. When she was preganant I guess I had a mid life crisis and talked her into letting me buy a boat...geesh was I stupidSmile It's much nicer working on someone else's!!! Let them worry about the fuel bills and repairShades

To be really honest, I can barely afford it. If I didn't have such a dog gone good wife I couldn't! Most of the winter and summer I was stay at home dad, so I didn't have the time to use it....nor the money. Its only been since I worked on as a mate again this fall that I got the money...but of course not the time...and now that I have the time...I really don't have the money...and its not runningFrown

Jesh... it sorta seems like a viscios circle....

I'm really lucky to have such a good wife to let me mate for four months, and basically support me using my boat once a week or so during the fall.

On a diffent note being a stay at home dad is pretty great!! I have a supper happy daughter, who is a bunch of fun!!! And we were lucky to have found a great day care for when I'm fishing.

Well sorry for the rant...and thanks for all the help guys...

I'm headed up monday and tuesday. I'll let you know what happens...

aaron

Brenainn

posted 10/21/2007 07:08 AM  

Hey !

Congradulations !! Thats awesome Smile There nothing more important or satisfying in life than having kids. No matter what you do, or how bad you screw up, your the whole world to them, and they forgive you for every dumb thing instantly! As they grow up they become your best friends. It sounds like your wifes pretty cool to, a keeper Smile I know exactly what you mean about the time and the money. Same thing happened to me this year. I got 3 months off unexpected and drained all of my funds surprise I kept on fishing like mad and runned up credit card debt. Now I'm back to work and looking back on it I wouldnt change a thing. I had the best fishing fall of my life Smile Money is ez come, easier go, and it goes out so fast you got to spend some on your boat now, or it will never happen (well at least not for another 18 years Smile) unless you hit the jackpot surprise Swap the coil packs around and look for spark. Its got to be something really simple,.. You still got that Omni, that thing was awesome Smile

Id rather be lucky than good

caver

posted 10/21/2007 05:11 PM  

Oh yea...still got the shark mobile!!! Shades 250K and running strong...

Did by a new car, the first ever. Basically for the kid...figured it would be good to have something reliable!!

Well headed up to RI now...hopfully I get it running...

Let you all know..

aaron

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.