Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

How to Rig a Fluke Bucktail with a Stinger Hook

Page  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Boards > Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep
Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep
Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 06/11/2013 02:42 PM  

So I've been inundated with questions about how I rig my own bucktails for fluking. Since I believe that one picture is worth a thousand words, here's a few "thousand words" of how I do it. This is the 4oz model, by the way.

First, I have my bucktail heads custom-poured for me, using ONLY Mustad 5/0 black nickle wide-bend hooks. No matter, 2/3/4 ounces - all have the same-sized hook.

To these heads I add a pair of squid "hootchie" tails and then finish with an Eagle Claw model 254 stinger hook in a 4/0. I'll probably be stepping up to 5/0s for my next batch of jigs, but right now I have a box of 4/0s, and so that's what I'm using. Not that the 4/0s have proven to be lacking in any way that I can determine, I just want to move up one hook size, next time. . . .

I feel its best to use two tails instead of one because a/ I find that one tail alone is kinda sparse, and b/ especially if the fluke and pin sea bass start plucking the individual rubber filaments off the lure - that's pretty common.

1/ Starting with a pair of the hootchie tails, cut off both "heads" - maybe the first 1/2" or so and set the cut-offs aside - you will be utilizing them later.

2/ Using a small pair of needle-nosed pliers pull one hootchie tail's head inside the other. Not so easy, but be patient - it can be done.

3/ Next, thread those tails up onto the bucktail head - and secure them with a small plastic wire tie. Again, not such an easy task, but once you get the hang of getting them both up evenly onto the head, its no big woof, not at all.

4/ Now take your #254 Eagle Claw stinger hook and place it onto the jig's main hook.

5/ Finish the job by taking one of the hootchie tail's heads and thread it onto the bucktail's hook, open side down.

Pix follow for further clarification. Plus a few shots of what I've been working on - 50x2oz, 25x3oz and 25x4oz fluking bucks, fully rigged and ready for this Summer's deep jigging expeditions.

Whew! A considerable undertaking, now thankfully complete! up

Deadly stuff, done this way. . . a TRUE "Insider" tip!

"Hi, my name is Pete and I have a fishing gear problem."

This post edited by Leprechaun 08:19 PM 09/20/2013

BlueMarlin478

posted 06/11/2013 02:55 PM  

Holy tackle!!

Pete, very informative. That is quite the workshop you've got there.

This post edited by BlueMarlin478 02:55 PM 06/11/2013

crabman1130

posted 06/11/2013 02:59 PM  

Pete, when using a stinger do you put bait on it or just the main hook?

Hey, it can't be Christmas everyday!!!!

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 06/11/2013 03:04 PM  

From another very recent thread on the subject -

Last thing first, I do not use a 6" grub on my stinger. I greatly prefer the 3 and 4" models on the bucktail's Stinger hook. I just thread them right on the 4/0 stinger.

Done this way, you get the profile of the bucktail, PLUS the 4" grub/Mullet/whatever sticking out the back - it all comes together and makes a nice big target for Mr. Large. You wouldn't believe the number of biggies that have the bucktail's hook in its upper mouth and the stinger hook swung around and sticking in his face, the other way. Or sometimes vice-versa!

The way I use the 6" grubs, they go up above the bucktail 14" or so, on a 5/0 Gami baitholder hook - which itself is swinging on a 2 or 3" dropper loop. (Think: "B/S Rig!") A little glow bead up ahead of the hook on the dropper adds to the attractiveness. To me anyway, not necessarily the fluke, LOL!

This post edited by Leprechaun 04:31 PM 06/11/2013

Q U SOLDIER

posted 06/11/2013 03:10 PM  

Beautiful stuff !! Pete... You don't like slevads h style heads. ?

Get Fish or Die Trying!!

jdc946

posted 06/11/2013 03:10 PM  

Holy Mackeral - Are you sure you have enough jigs? Thanks Lep very informative piece.

In life, there are no reruns

This post edited by jdc946 03:12 PM 06/11/2013

EddieSpaghetti

posted 06/11/2013 04:14 PM  

Lep - that is a super post. I was actually looking for a little insight into that particular rigging. Hit the nail on the head!

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 06/11/2013 04:28 PM  

Thanks all!

QUS - I suppose the "H"-heads would work, but I prefer the "Ultra Minnows." The H's are nice for casting in current and then swimming them over the bottom for bass. They are also known as "Pregnant Minnows."

I would take a bullet-head over the H-head. As long as the eye is back a bit from the very nose. Others will probably differ, but the Ultra Minnow is my preference.

Lep

jdc946

posted 06/11/2013 06:12 PM  

mustadt 34091d

are you familiar with these trailer hooks. They are fairly inexpensive, but they look cheesey. Any thoughts would be helpful

In life, there are no reruns

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 06/11/2013 07:16 PM  

Yes. . .

becuse they have an open eye, those are useful to replace an oversized hook with a smaller, more fluke-friendly size on certain lures, like the Bluefrog bucktails.

This post edited by Leprechaun 09:36 PM 06/11/2013

kenscot

posted 06/11/2013 10:28 PM  

jdc946 wrote:

Holy Mackeral - Are you sure you have enough jigs?

Looks like just the right amount right for a season in Lep's neighborhood.
Lot's of nice flatties but some deadly rig robbing bottomMad.
Just the price of doing business Shades

I love Christmas lights. They remind me of the people who voted for Obama. They all hang together; half of them don't work, and the ones that do, aren't that bright.

Nansea1

posted 06/11/2013 11:58 PM  

Im guessing that white w/pink is your favorite color.Do you have preference of color for the bay?

......on the run

flukerr
Noreast.com Club Member

Freshwater Forum
Posted Reports

posted 06/12/2013 07:48 AM  

SQUIGLY!....

Any spinner-bait trailer hook will do the job..

The best "Hoochie" squids are made by P-Line...You only need 1. Made of much better quality. With some fantastic colors.

No wire tie used on the squigly....Some Gorilla glue is used. Not crazy glue. It becomes brittle. If you feel more is needed a small plastic "zip tie" can be added.

In search of 11 lbs 5 ozs....

Fluker Float Rig....Floating high above the rest !!!

This post edited by flukerr 08:00 AM 06/12/2013

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 06/12/2013 09:19 AM  

Ehhh, P-Line Hootchies are nice, but WAAAY too expensive. And they have no more tendrils and are no more substantial than the ones that I use. Plus, I can certainly lose them as quickly as my cheaper versions. . .

For Hootchie tail sourcing think the Freeport Show (buying in bulk - preferred) and also Causeway B&T here in Wantagh and Terminal Tackle up on the NS are shops in which I've purchased these tails.

As far as the actual trailer hooks, the Eagle Claw 254 is by far the best priced of its type on the market. Sharp, strong, American-made and built for the nasty SW use that we see - hence my recommendation.

My concept here is to produce a high-quality lure that catches and still comes in right around $2 each. When you lose an average of five bucks a trip, you tend to think in more economical terms. At least I do.

I believe that I've achieved my target goals with this version of the bucktail jig. . . now where are the Large? Shades

This post edited by Leprechaun 04:01 PM 06/12/2013

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 06/12/2013 10:33 AM  

Nansea1 - I'm not ordinarily a Bay fisherman, so I defer to others there.

As far as colors - I do like white, pink and glow the best, always have, though light blue and yellow can have their killer moments. . .

I can understand when fishing in 30' of water that color might be a large determinant, but how a fish can see a specific color lure in 80' of yucky water is a little beyond me.

Most certainly they do show a preference at times - regardless of depth. Just one of those things that makes one go "Hmmmmmm. . . "

This post edited by Leprechaun 10:34 AM 06/12/2013

Discussion Boards > Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep Page  1, 2, 3  Next  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.