Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Blogs  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Porgy fishing places...

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
computerhelper

posted 05/30/2006 04:18 PM  

Hi,

Can anyone recommend some public beach access for Porgy fishing on Long Island. I've fished Wildwood State Park with some good catches but there is some sort of reef that keeps snagging my line and I've lost plenty of fish when reeling them in.

I mostly fish on Long Island but would be willing to travel to NJ or CT for good fishing.

Thanks,
Bobby

STRIKERTHREE

posted 05/30/2006 04:41 PM  

the rocks off the old OBI and down the road from there the Oak Beach rocks are also good porgie spots by surf

Proud to be Union U.W.U.A 1-2

American by Birth Union By Choice!

Skilled Labor isn't cheap and cheap labor isn't skilled !!

9ftrbx

posted 06/01/2006 09:10 AM  

Porgies from surf

Actually Wildwood Park is one of the best places for Porgy Fishing from shore. I have the most success there, and it's an excellent family spot as well. I get there as early as possible like 6:30 -7:00 am and no matter what the tide situation, the bite is good...especially in late july-mid august. Of course it helps when it's incoming high or outgoing high.

I usually use a 4 once sinker, with a high low rig either one I make or store made. Every once and a while I get stuck but not too bad.

Where are you fishing on the beach? I usually walk all the way to the left near the private beach or beach house. Try going when it's low tide and you can see where the most of the structure is and take note, mark the spot and avoid it. I have long 1O ' surf rods and even with my 9 ft rods I get out there. For the porgies I'll use 20 or 25 lb test. I don't let the rig hit the bottom...that's how you get stuck ..I count off a few seconds and wait. When the hump backs are there it doesn't matter.

You may also be getting blackfish hits...that area is full of blacks. And there are huge sea robins out there too. Those fish hit and pull you into the rocks.

Sorry I wrote a lot but I don't really know any good shore spots for porgies besides Wildwood in LI. I think it's the best spot.

If you get a chance... try Martha's Vineyard in Massachusetts. There are good porgy spots all over the island from shore. Lake Tasmoo is the best. Just ask around..you have to drive on a dirt road in wooded area but don't worry 2 wheel drive can go through. It's an inlet from the ocean, and it's full of porgies and flounder.

The vineyard haven jetty is also excellent for porgies. Again late July-Mid august for hump backs. Martha's Vineyard is fishermans paradise, but its pricey. Hey it a real summer get away.

9ftrbx

surfphisher

posted 06/01/2006 05:36 PM  

I don't target porgies but I see guys doing well off the jetties at the back (north) end of shinny canal.

sandman
Noreast.com Club Member

posted 06/01/2006 10:26 PM  

try a float will help not snagging

i do blackfishing in snagg area. you can use snapperfloat

Moriches anglers Fluke tournament first place 2009 2007

likeitreallyis

posted 06/01/2006 11:21 PM  

almost any beach on n shore

with small pieces of clam.. move around a bit, stay on bottom.. use old spark plugs for testing for snags..

Green Grass and High Tides forever,,,

MisterX

posted 06/02/2006 07:23 AM  

Wildwood State Park

I agree that WW is the best surf porgy spot on the island.

I fished there years ago w/ my dad and we would go all the way to the right where the boulders would come out of the water off the beach. End of Sept would see some hefty Humpbacks and some quality Tog.

High/Low rigs worked best. Short leaders.

phishook

posted 06/02/2006 11:09 AM  

What size hooks do you use on the rig?

How much clam are you baiting on the hook?

What other baits are suitable?

Sorry for all the questions but I have never surf fished for porgies and the striper/bluefish front is slow lately on the n. shore beaches.

iEatClams

posted 06/02/2006 11:28 AM  

i fish the southside beaches of montauk in the summer for jumbo porgies in daylight hours using sandworms and clams... we get them there and theyre massive slabs... you get a mix there too of small sea bass and the occassional blackfish... dont be suprised when a decent striper snatches up your bait either... dont need to launch ur bait out there either... maybe 30yds... lots of small rocks and boulders in the water out there holding all types of forage for the hump heads... the barely legal ones are like candy to cow bass too... wouldnt hurt launchin one of those bad boys out there in hopes of bringin a cow home!

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." - Tony Blake

phishook

posted 06/07/2006 11:54 PM  

anyone?

crabcake

posted 06/08/2006 09:06 AM  

When I surf fish for porgies I use a #1-#2 porgy hook. If a bass, blue, fluke, or tog takes your bait, those hooks are will be big enough to land those fish. You might miss some of the smaller bites, but in the long run you'll catch more fish. Cover the hook with 2 to 3 inch strip of clam, squid, or sandworm. Sandworms sometimes give you an edge, but this can get expensive, especially when lots of little fish are around. Last year when the water warmed over 60 degrees I tried the fishbytes synthetic bloodworms and they worked well when the fish were biting hot and heavy. However, I still prefer the fresh stuff and use the fishbytes as a back-up.

Ling is King and Cusk are Deluxe!

Peterk814

posted 06/08/2006 09:45 AM  

hutington oyster bay beaches seem to have a lot of porgies. Comsat park is a popular spot. Use sandworms if you can get em, if not get the clams. Northshore holds a lot of porgies

phishook

posted 06/09/2006 09:15 PM  

thanks.....

Looking450

posted 06/18/2006 07:42 PM  

I wouldn't bank on this being a high percentage fishing method, but large porgies in the surf on the North Shore will sometimes hit a swimming plug. I recall having had several on a 6 inch chicken scratch Bomber a few years ago (July/August timeframe). These weren't snagged by any means; in every case, they somehow got their small mouth around one of the points of the rear treble hook.

I'll try to remember to post to this thread if it happens again this season!

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2019 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.