Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Good SUV to use for kayak transportation , etc.

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > Kayak Fishing Forum
rpsurf5

posted 12/16/2006 09:09 PM  

All,

I keep my kayak on Manhasset Bay now. But I am finding my car is not cutting it for storing my gear. Also , I cant use my car to potentially transport my kayak to other places to fish.

So , I want to buy a SUV, it will definitely be more suited for my fishing habit. Also, I am a surf fisherman so it would be useful for that also.

Anyone have any thoughts on a what kind of SUV I should buy ?

Thanks,

John

Delegate of the New York Coalition for Recreational Fishing

Member Montauk Surfcasters Association, LIBBA

This post edited by rpsurf5 09:21 PM 12/16/2006

finsup

posted 12/16/2006 09:35 PM  

Get what you like make sure it has or is capable of geting a good set of roof racks, and you can add any of brand of yak rack you like. I have a pick up and a bed extender to haul my prowler. I have seen plenty of people hauling yaks as big as their cars. More important to get the suv/truck/car that you will enjoy all the time. Good Luck Bob

I have seen pics of guys who modified trailers with attached storage boxes for their stuff.

This post edited by finsup 09:37 PM 12/16/2006

summerx

posted 12/16/2006 09:58 PM  

I've got a Yukon XL and it's too damn high. I end up either getting my son to help or I use a steping stool to get up there. On the positive side I can haul both kyaks, pull my antique boat and load 7 people comfortably. The best vehicle I've ever used for the kayak was a PT Cruiser. Low roof line and so short the end ties never touched the paint.

Rick

Treasurer- Kayak Fishing Association of New York
www.KFA-NY.org

aka Flukebelly

skiffman

posted 12/16/2006 10:11 PM  

John

My wife had a friend who used to haul her ocean kayak around on top of a yugo so pretty much anything you buy will work for you. I would prefer a pickup myself (since i have one) but you can carry the yak and a lot of gear plus less worry about scratches in your auto. Give me a call and ill stop by you can see how it fits in a truck.

Skiff

A fireman without a tool is just a well informed bystander.

filo1

posted 12/17/2006 03:23 AM  

rpsurf5 wrote:

All,

I keep my kayak on Manhasset Bay now. But I am finding my car is not cutting it for storing my gear. Also , I cant use my car to potentially transport my kayak to other places to fish.

So , I want to buy a SUV, it will definitely be more suited for my fishing habit. Also, I am a surf fisherman so it would be useful for that also.

Thanks,

John

WOW, kind of a broad request? How much are you willing to shell out? New or Used ? I would basically agree with the advice given above that basically ANY SUV will do as long as it is not too high like summerx stated with his Yukon.

Check out consumer reports for reliability info and prices. I have a 4 door pick up and I think it is hands down better (for my needs at least)then an SUV. I can fit 5 people comfortably and haul a hell of a lot more than an suv and not have to worry about getting the interior dirty, just toss it in the bed. just my .02

FIRST IN LAST OUT.....   of the water

STRIKERTHREE

posted 12/17/2006 05:40 AM  

filo1 wrote:

rpsurf5 wrote:

All,

Thanks,

John

WOW, kind of a broad request? How much are you willing to shell out? New or Used ? I would basically agree with the advice given above that basically ANY SUV will do as long as it is not too high like summerx stated with his Yukon.

Check out consumer reports for reliability info and prices. I have a 4 door pick up and I think it is hands down better (for my needs at least)then an SUV. I can fit 5 people comfortably and haul a hell of a lot more than an suv and not have to worry about getting the interior dirty, just toss it in the bed. just my .02

I agree my wife has the Honda Ridgeline and between the huge trunk in the bed the bed itself and the rear seats folding up there is so much storage room twice of what we had in our explorers and getting the ski's on and off is easy I'm sure a yak wouldnt be and different

Proud to be Union U.W.U.A 1-2

American by Birth Union By Choice!

Skilled Labor isn't cheap and cheap labor isn't skilled !!

PaddleOn
Noreast.com Club Member

Kayak Fishing Forum

posted 12/17/2006 06:38 AM  

For me having a pickup style truck with a cap is the way to go especially if you do alot of surf fishing and driving on the beach.Its nice to have the rear completely seperate from the cab and all the sand n glop in the rear.

As a few have said try to find something that is not to high and would make things difficult to get off and on.Also make sure a good quality rack system can be installed.
I use a Yakima rack with a kayak saddle up front and a roller in the rear.This works very nice and the boats go off and on easily.
The rack also has ski racks for the rods...and skis Smile

I bought a Toyota Tacoma 7 years ago and if I had to do it again ...I'd buy the same truck up This has been a truly wonderfull vehicle that is reliable and solid.The one drawback is my 2 kids are getting to big for the extended cab area and soon my son will not fit there at all Frown Daughter is a pipsqueak but my 10 year old son is getting big!
Luckily the wife drives a Toyota 4 Runner.

If you wanna to get to Heaven
You've got to raise a little hell

soundflyguy

posted 12/17/2006 08:21 AM  

What a timely thread...I am geting very tired of tossing my kayak up on my Expedition. I keep a stepstool in the truck because the height of the vehicle makes it almost impossible to get the kayak up there without much strain. Not getting any younger! Actually I scratched the entire back portion of the roof of a previous Expedition getting the kayak up and off by myself! I really don't want to have to install one of those swing-away devices(like for canoes) that you attach one end of the yak to then rotate it around...I would still have to climb up on the stool. Need the Expedition for the boat but I have been in the market for a nice small AWD wagon with enough inner space to lay in a flyrod! There are quite a few nice ones out there...was just looking around yesterday.

This post edited by soundflyguy 03:23 PM 12/17/2006

KayakerStan

posted 12/17/2006 02:06 PM  

quote:

So I have been in the market for a nice small AWD wagon with enough inner space to lay in a flyrod! There are quite a few nice ones out there...was just looking around yesterday.

My Honda CRV has worked great for me the last few years. I have had 3 kayaks up on the roof at 1 time and 9 ft fly rods fit in it with no problems.up Plus it's great on gas.Shades

NYS Licensed Guide

jamesa

posted 12/17/2006 10:52 PM  

I have been using a Dodge Caravan to carry my kayak across the folded seats and over a truck bed extender out of my hitch, as well as my surf poles (2 - piece) inside, and for towing my 18' Sea Pro. However it kept bottoming out when going for deer last week upstate. These "mommy vans" are terrific for moving furniture or plywood with the seats out, and I often have the rear or third seat in my garage. However I too feel I want to get a 4wd 'something' with more ground clearance, and still a 2000 lb tow capacity. I also am too short to put a kayak or canoe on the roof of my Caravan and probably most SUVs, hence the truck bed extender in use now.

My needs now seem to be:
at least 2000 lb. towing capacity.
Rear hatch or crank open tailgate window with fold down rear seats.
9 inch ground clearance (using most 4wd specs) and AWD or 4WD.

A pickup with a cap for security seems to be the ticket, but then where in God's name do I put the cap if I take it off ?! Plus, if I leave it on most of the time it seems as though I should just go SUV.
At 55, I do not want to be putting the kayak on the roof of anything higher than my wifes's Ford Focus Wagon, which is admittedly more secure than driving any distance with the kayak on my minivan's truck bed extender.The van is 10 but with limited mileage, so I am presently just exploring my options. Maybe the Yakima roller rack on a not so high SUV is the thing for me, although I would miss the room a minivan affords when the seats are removed or folded. Any ideas or suggestions ? I usually buy new but want to keep it under 30K.

Nah, probably just the bottom again...

filo1

posted 12/18/2006 04:29 AM  

jamesa wrote:

which is admittedly more secure than driving any distance with the kayak on my minivan's truck bed extender.

I have never seen a bed extender for a minivan.Confused

jamesa

posted 12/18/2006 07:18 AM  

They look a little like a field goalpost and insert into the trailer hitch. They usually need an adapter. I love it as the kayak gets easily "inserted" into my vehicle at the "hip high" hold height, using the extender as a fulcrum.

filo1

posted 12/18/2006 08:23 AM  

Got Itup thanks

yukonjimi

posted 12/26/2006 11:28 AM  

I saw the request for the ultimate kayak moving vehicle and had to reply.
I have a Dodge 4dr Dakota pick up and both the yaks fit in the back with no problems and any surf gear as well. I like the pick up cause i can keep the sand out of the cargo area and with a bed cover i can keep everything dry as well in the rain. Also i can still bring my passengers along with me and never have to alter the interior of my vehicle to do so. I usually keep all my gear in the back of the truck all year cause if i am not fishing in the salt i am in the fresh.

Good luck on your quest for the ultimate kayak carring vehicle.

Jim

Jim

jamesa

posted 12/26/2006 01:27 PM  

I think the pickup with a jumpseat behind the bucket seats big enough for one medium size adult, and a large lockbox that would safe some long guns and ammo in the bed but along the side of the bed, not up under the window to leave room for a kayak, would be best for my next vehicle as well. 4WD, with a tow capacity of up to 3000 lbs- yes, that just might do it !

This post edited by jamesa 08:02 PM 12/26/2006

Discussion Boards > Kayak Fishing Forum Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.